Lt. Commander
# 11
02-15-2010, 09:18 AM
The shield recharge behavior is stupid and broken. It should not recharge their shields completely in the first place, but if it must do so the cooldown needs to be longer than 10 seconds. These are not difficult opponents, they are tedious opponents. Tedium should be stamped out wherever possible.

In general, ground combat would benefit greatly from the following changes:

1. Reduce enemy HP (and shields) across the board by a substantial amount.

2. Reduce the number of enemies in each group.

3. Radically increase enemy damage output to compensate.

I should not be able to defeat ground encounters by going afk. As it stands, a moderately well-configured away team is nearly impervious to damage. Sure, it might take me a while to kill enemies, especially if I'm not paying attention to Expose/Exploit, but I am in zero danger of dying, ever. That's a bit silly.

Make ground combat faster and more interesting. Increase enemy damage output and decrease enemy HP. Remove retarded low-cooldown survivability abilities (like Romulan shield recharges). Add more dangerous enemy combat abilities. Make grenades HURT. Do something, anything, to make ground combat faster and more engaging; because right now it's stupid.
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-15-2010, 09:20 AM
As a whole, the Romulans are not a threat to me on the ground. They don't actually do enough damage, certainly not quickly enough, to give my team any cause for concern at all. It is simply annoying, and enormously boring, to have this one loser left over with his absurdly overpowered shield recharge ability. What makes it bad is the fact he's a boss level enemy; he has tons of shield power like anyone else his level (Klingon Officers, Enforcer, etc), so the pitiful cooldown on his colossal recharge is done before my entire team can bring them down. I can splat Centurions straight through his recharges, they just don't have enough shield to stop me causing HP damage during the cooldown.

He can be easily dealt with if you have some sort of stun or hold, but even so I think his recharge ability is far, far too epic even if it can be sidestepped in such a fashion. He should be an actual threat to the team, not the guy left over because he's so ludicrously unkillable and generally harmless. More damage, less healing.

I wouldn't have a problem if exposes weren't so unreliable. As it is, even when I had given my entire away team expose attacks and myself the only exploit, they were so worthlessly infrequent that it was simply far more efficient to give everyone a split beam rifle except for a single token assault full auto (because it looks cool too), and pound through enemies with raw damage, making use of what exposes occured due to my own power uses as a bonus.

All things considered, I've found Klingons to be the best designed faction on the ground to fight. You have to prioritise targets like Swordmasters and overcome some challenge, which is fun without being utterly overbearing. There's danger in their attacks, if you let the situation get out of control, but it's not going to make you break out into a sweat.
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-15-2010, 09:30 AM
Quote:
It is simply annoying, and enormously boring
You have now described the entirety of STO ground combat.
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-15-2010, 09:33 AM
The shields are annoying because they cannot even harm you, and it is boring to fight them. If they could hurt you, it would be fun. As it is, they need to nerf their shields just to keep me from falling asleep while playing.

The fix:

As someone else posted, use a bat'leth. I use it all the time now to speed up the pace of the ground missions. You do not have to worry about shields that way. There is absolutely no challenge or fun anymore in this game because of how easy it is.

I search for ways to kill things faster to just "get it over with" than because I am worried about taking damage.
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-15-2010, 09:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koba View Post
The shields are annoying because they cannot even harm you, and it is boring to fight them. If they could hurt you, it would be fun. As it is, they need to nerf their shields just to keep me from falling asleep while playing.

The fix:

As someone else posted, use a bat'leth. I use it all the time now to speed up the pace of the ground missions. You do not have to worry about shields that way. There is absolutely no challenge or fun anymore in this game because of how easy it is.

I search for ways to kill things faster to just "get it over with" than because I am worried about taking damage.
Heh, it's true, I was pretty much asking for the same thing - "make the tedium go away". I actually really like space combat - it's easy, too, but a lot more fun. As it is now, the ground missions - which take one of 3 or 4 forms in 3 or 4 different looking environments - are just something I dread, and try to race through to get back into space.

In response to whomever said "kill the medics first", I don't think we're talking about the same enemy; medics are usually paired with subcommanders, etc, and are actually quite easy to kill. It's these guys themselves that have the heal.

I will try a bat'leth!
Lt. Commander
# 16
02-15-2010, 09:45 AM
Not really. Just takes a bit of time to kill them.
Lt. Commander
# 17
02-15-2010, 09:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildfyre010 View Post
You have now described the entirety of STO ground combat.
Yeah the ground combat is the worst Ive ever seen in a MMOG. Its to damn easy, you do not need any skill and the fights are waaaay too long. I usually send my team to attack and while they kill stuff I turn to my other computer and surf the web while my BO's take care of the enemies.
Lt. Commander
# 18
02-15-2010, 10:26 AM
This works pretty well for enemies that have strong shield recharge abilities:

Specialize one of your BOffs (I recommend a tactical BOff) in Melee combat. Get Leg Sweep, Lunge, and Movement Accelerator for them, and get them a Bat'Leth at DS9.

Melee damage does not have to deal with shields, and a correctly skilled and equipped melee BOff can both do serious damage and keep knocking down enemies and exposing them like nothing else.
Lt. Commander
# 19
02-15-2010, 11:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasGideon
This works pretty well for enemies that have strong shield recharge abilities:

Specialize one of your BOffs (I recommend a tactical BOff) in Melee combat. Get Leg Sweep, Lunge, and Movement Accelerator for them, and get them a Bat'Leth at DS9.

Melee damage does not have to deal with shields, and a correctly skilled and equipped melee BOff can both do serious damage and keep knocking down enemies and exposing them like nothing else.
Hmmm, it should have been obvious, but I was indeed wondering what to really do with my Tactical Officer since I provide the relevant tactical debuffs and he otherwise has nothing that useful to bring to my team....
Lt. Commander
# 20
02-15-2010, 11:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiozo View Post
Not really. Just takes a bit of time to kill them.
??? That was the question.

Skilling BOFFs for melee sounds like a good idea - I think I'll give this a try. I usually have an away team of myself (tactical), 2 tactical officers, one engineer, and a science, so at least one of those tactical guys can go in close.