Lt. Commander
# 21
02-20-2010, 01:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khatz
Well, I do have a similar problem.

When I try to activate my account, it asks for the activation code, which I found on the back of my manual. It then passes (so I assume it is then accepted) to a second screen (Add Subscribtion) where is stated:

"You are subscribing to:

* Star Trek Online - Retail
With 30 free days"

But how do I activate those 30 days? The only 2 options I have in that screen are

1. Recurring subscribtions with monthly paying through credit cards

2. Non recurring subscribtion via game card

After those 30 days free I want to pay with prepaid game cards. But now I can't get past this screen. the activation code printed on my manual is not accepted, I recieve a message then like:

'This is not a valid Game Card key.'

???
What am I doing wrong?

Do you have use of a credit card or paypal to activate the account? Don't worry. You wont be charged if you use one. It's used purely to activate the account. Once its active, just head back in to the account page, and switch it to time card. All credit card details will be removed, so youll never have to worry about it being charged.
Lt. Commander
# 22
02-20-2010, 01:51 PM
What about those 30 days that come along with the game I bought???

NOWHERE on the package of the game is mentioned that you need an additional game card to start, the box clearly states:

"30 days game time included with puchase"

How are those activated??
Lt. Commander
# 23
02-20-2010, 01:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedgp123 View Post

Do you have use of a credit card or paypal to activate the account? Don't worry. You wont be charged if you use one. It's used purely to activate the account. Once its active, just head back in to the account page, and switch it to time card. All credit card details will be removed, so youll never have to worry about it being charged.
Are you completely sure it won't be deducted?

"When will I be billed?
If you are just activating your retail key and purchasing the lifetime subscription, you will be billed right away. Otherwise, you will be billed 30 days from today for your first subscription period. If you are changing an existing subscription, then you will be billed at your new rate at the end of your current billing period."

I read this as if I will be charged at the end of those 30 days for that period...
Lt. Commander
# 24
02-20-2010, 01:56 PM
Quote:
What about those 30 days that come along with the game I bought???

NOWHERE on the package of the game is mentioned that you need an additional game card to start, the box clearly states:

"30 days game time included with puchase"

How are those activated??
You will get your 30 days, however , you still need a method of billing to activate your account. Once this is done you can remove it.

You will Not be billed anything until your 30 Free days have expired.

Every MMO does this. It's purely a verification check. thats all.
If you look on the box, it clearly says, paid subscription required to play. Could it be worded much better? Yes, most definitley it can. However, thats the Publisher that controls that, not cryptic. And that message is standard throughout all MMO distributions, so it is VERY unlikely to ever change.

I'm sorry as i know that isnt what you wanted to here, but it's how things in the mmo industry work.
Lt. Commander
# 25
02-20-2010, 01:56 PM
Quote:
You will not be deducted until the 30 days of free time is up. But be warned, your bank will authorize $1.00 to Cryptic for about 2-3 business days as a way of checking if the card is real.
Lt. Commander
# 26
02-20-2010, 01:57 PM
Quote:
I am 100000000000000000000000000000% certain that you will not be charged any subsription fee until your free gametime has expired. If you were, Cryptic would be in front of a judge due to fraudulant business practices.

You're quite safe using the card, activating it, then removing the info.

MMO gametime is charged ahead of time, so the first $15 you pay would be for the month ahead.
Lt. Commander
# 27
02-20-2010, 01:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by USSWasabi
You will not be deducted until the 30 days of free time is up. But be warned, your bank will authorize $1.00 to Cryptic for about 2-3 business days as a way of checking if the card is real.
MAY authorize. Only certain institutions do it, and even then it's only to make sure the account is there.
Lt. Commander
# 28
02-20-2010, 02:06 PM
Ok, thanks...

Sorry for not seeing it clearly at first...

So I'll do what you say and change the subscribtion option afterwards...

Thx !!!
Lt. Commander
# 29
02-20-2010, 02:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedgp123 View Post
MAY authorize. Only certain institutions do it, and even then it's only to make sure the account is there.
Hehe! I've learned that in the world of phone support, "may" or any other "gray" area notifier definately means definately the way the person you are talking to thinks about it.

So in this case, "may authorize" means "will not authorize".

Better to set them expecting the worst and when it isn't they will be happier.
Lt. Commander
# 30
02-20-2010, 02:19 PM
Well, I guess we are all happy,

I have a paypall account that I didn't use anymore in quite some time, wanted to use it for the registration, but I couldn't remember the password anymore, so I couldn't go any further, but my account has been activated nontheless...