Lt. Commander
The one thing that just shattered my sense of immsersion about this movie was the reason that spock did all of what he did:

The supernova

How is it that one supernova can cause an explosion so massive that it will destroy the the entire galaxy?
That must have been a HUGE star. Even so, SOMEONE's scientisis should have gone "Oh crap! If this star goes supernova, it will destroy the galaxy. We need to study it, and keep it going, or figure out a way to destabilize it in a safer manner than a supernova"
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-15-2010, 10:14 AM
YES! This drove me nuts, too. Especially at the end when Spock's ship explodes with all that red matter in it. I mean, if a little tiny bit can destroy Vulcan, how can that huge amount not destroy everything everywhere?
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-15-2010, 10:38 AM
yeah, that's funny. It should have been stated something like it was going to destroy their (the Romulans) solarsystem, either that or their galaxy is super small and everything is too close to their sun. lol We had a sun go supernova in the milkyway 7,500 light years away with no ill-effects to us.

As for the red matter... it's not so much that it destroys worlds, but that it creates blackholes. The smallest blackhole at the center of a planet would destroy it. But an extremely large blackhole out in the middle of nowhere would be just that.

Not to mention Trek movies have never been accused of being scientifically accurate. lol
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-15-2010, 10:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Great_Milenko
The one thing that just shattered my sense of immsersion about this movie was the reason that spock did all of what he did:

The supernova

How is it that one supernova can cause an explosion so massive that it will destroy the the entire galaxy?
That must have been a HUGE star. Even so, SOMEONE's scientisis should have gone "Oh crap! If this star goes supernova, it will destroy the galaxy. We need to study it, and keep it going, or figure out a way to destabilize it in a safer manner than a supernova"
Yup! Otherwise, I liked the movie. But this was something we discussed at length right after the movie.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-15-2010, 10:51 AM
Actually when you get further into this game you get an explanation as to how a simple sun can destroy the galaxy...well not the whole galaxy but many of the Beta Quadrant planets. I'm not going to give anything away here, just play the game and see.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-15-2010, 11:02 AM
http://news.softpedia.com/news/Gigan...et-74161.shtml

It's not like it's impossible for events in one place to affect another place, even if they're far away.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-15-2010, 11:02 AM
It is being referenced in the game on missions dealing with the Romulans/in Romulan space

*edit* How did I not see JAGnetx's post? You must have used some of that red matter..., where did you find it?!
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-15-2010, 11:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAGnetx View Post
Actually when you get further into this game you get an explanation as to how a simple sun can destroy the galaxy...well not the whole galaxy but many of the Beta Quadrant planets. I'm not going to give anything away here, just play the game and see.
What he said.

When you are commander lvl there are missions dealing with this.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-15-2010, 11:26 AM
Read the Star Trek "Countdown" series. This is the prequel to the 2009 movie and ties it all together nicely. It explains much more about Nero and Spock's attempt at saving Romulus.

http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Star_Trek:_Countdown
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-15-2010, 11:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Leadbottom
Read the Star Trek "Countdown" series. This is the prequel to the 2009 movie and ties it all together nicely. It explains much more about Nero and Spock's attempt at saving Romulus.

http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Star_Trek:_Countdown
awesome. I had no idea that existed. I'll have to check that out. Thanks for the info.