Lt. Commander
# 11
02-15-2010, 12:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Leadbottom
Read the Star Trek "Countdown" series. This is the prequel to the 2009 movie and ties it all together nicely. It explains much more about Nero and Spock's attempt at saving Romulus.

http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Star_Trek:_Countdown
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rysdan View Post
awesome. I had no idea that existed. I'll have to check that out. Thanks for the info.
It is a fair (not great) story, but it utterly fails to explain how a supernova will destroy the galaxy (probably because it WOULD'NT).

The idea that red matter could create a black hole is silly, too. Black holes destroy with gravity; gravity is based on mass; mass is a constant. A planet contains a tiny fraction of a percent of the mass required to generate enough gravity to create a black hole. Red matter can be carried in a ship in large quantities (as shown in the movie). Ergo, one planet plus one drop of red matter does not equal black hole.

In any case, the moronic supernova hypothesis is a far greater problem.
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-15-2010, 12:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty_Diodes
It is a fair (not great) story, but it utterly fails to explain how a supernova will destroy the galaxy (probably because it WOULD'NT).

The idea that red matter could create a black hole is silly, too. Black holes destroy with gravity; gravity is based on mass; mass is a constant. A planet contains a tiny fraction of a percent of the mass required to generate enough gravity to create a black hole. Red matter can be carried in a ship in large quantities (as shown in the movie). Ergo, one planet plus one drop of red matter does not equal black hole.

Well... like I said before, I agree it's silly, but ST has never been accused of being scientifically accurate, not to mention it is fiction afterall. No point really to analyze something that's fake to begin with and compare it to known reality, imo. If we were to do that... how about why is there even sound during the space battles? No air in space, thus no sound in space. However, it's a movie... a fictional one at that... and I want my entertainment. lol

Just sayin...
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-15-2010, 01:04 PM
Quote:
Well... like I said before, I agree it's silly, but ST has never been accused of being scientifically accurate, not to mention it is fiction afterall. No point really to analyze something that's fake to begin with and compare it to known reality, imo. If we were to do that... how about why is there even sound during the space battles? No air in space, thus no sound in space. However, it's a movie... a fictional one at that... and I want my entertainment. lol
Just sayin...
Star Trek is one of the sci-fi universes which actually DOES try to base its tech on real science. Sure they use a lot of theories, and a lot of imagination, but they don't normally do silly or ridiculous things. Like I said, normally.

As far as sound in space, the explanation is very simple: sensors. They can detect energy on all sorts of frequencies- visible light, gamma rays, tachyons, you name it. Why not sound waves? The ship and explosion are made of matter, so there is certainly a sound. The sound won't travel through a vacuum, but if you have sensors in range it only makes sense that they would relay the sound along with the picture.

We have a primitive form of this technology already, with laser microphones. You point the beam at a window and hear what is in the room- this would work even if there was a vacuum between you and the window, because the sound vibrations are being converted into a photonic signal, and translated back at the device emitting the laser.

I still loved the movie though.
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-15-2010, 01:13 PM
That's not a question about the Star Trek movie. A -real- question about the Star Trek movie is, why the hell did the writers not understand Stardates?
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-15-2010, 01:55 PM
Quote:

The issue is addressed in game through Trek-'Science'. You will find it about commander level doing some Romulan missions. It's not a regular supernova. Not gonna give any big spoilers as it is a good plot line.

Realistically though, a supernova would not even threaten a quadrant.
Lt. Commander
# 16
02-15-2010, 01:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenstein View Post
The issue is addressed in game through Trek-'Science'. You will find it about commander level doing some Romulan missions. It's not a regular supernova. Not gonna give any big spoilers as it is a good plot line.

Realistically though, a supernova would not even threaten a quadrant.
No- it wouldn't even threaten the nearest star system, only its partner(s) in the case of a binary or trinary system, and their related planets.
Lt. Commander
# 17
02-15-2010, 02:06 PM
One thing I thought about constantly after I saw the movie was, 'How was it possible for Spock to see Vulcan get destroyed by the black hole all the way from Delta Vega?'
Lt. Commander
# 18
02-15-2010, 02:18 PM
Quote:

Just sayin...
firefly ftw lol
Lt. Commander
# 19
02-15-2010, 02:33 PM
Quote:
No- it wouldn't even threaten the nearest star system, only its partner(s) in the case of a binary or trinary system, and their related planets.
Dunno where you folks are but the BBC does an excellent program called Horizon...following cutting edge science.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sn/tvradio/prog...nd/index.shtml

They did a program on how a large star going supernova could destroy all life on earth. Potentially a large star could collapse in to a Pulsar which would emit high level gamma radiation that could easily kill all life in 10,000 light year radius.

I cant remember the exact details but some scientists are devoting their lives to looking at nearby stars to make sure they're stable.

It does bother me though how Romulus wasnt evacuated or anything...Spock can somehow take red matter across Federation space to near Romulus and create a black hole but a mighty stellar empire couldnt evacuate its home planet...
Lt. Commander
# 20
02-15-2010, 02:40 PM
I actually like the movie, but the one thing that totally made me realize I was sitting in a theater was when Kirk is racing into a cave in the middle of nowhere and, lo-and-behold, guess who's in it. Maybe there was some good back-story as to how they so precisely bumped into each other, but it sure wasn't in the movie.

Missed the whole galaxy-exploding thing, but that does help me identify a thought that was nagging me.