Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > PvP Gameplay
Login

Lt. Commander
# 11
02-16-2010, 11:15 PM
I think it is necessary for the survival of this game to find roles for ships of *all* tiers in the end game. Too many people have favorite ships that they want to play and will eventually just walk away if they have to abandon them for all the ugly ships later on.

Personally, I would love to see this coupled with a open pvp system farther down the road, where players, upon dying, receive a "death timer" that scales for the tier of the ship. T5 timers would be very long, t1-2 timers very short, and there should be an option to "buy" off the timer. Ships that are "destroyed" in open pvp would receive this timer, and could not re-enter the open pvp zone until it expired/was bought off. The ship would be otherwise unfffected, and still usable anywhere outside the pvp areas. This would introduce a sort of cost effectiveness element to ships without the need for destroying people's in game property and would give lower tier ships alot of use as far as fast responders/objective takers/ something you can use when your Neg'var is on cooldown and you don't wanna pay to remove the point.
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-16-2010, 11:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashe59 View Post
Neat idea , but wouldnt having all those ensign , lt , lt cmdr players just be cannon fodder ? 1 admiral / brig general would annihilate all 10 ensigns by them self if they found them alone.
It's only restricting ship tier, not player tier. As far as I know, the lower tier ships can still be fitted with MK X equipment. Personally, I'm not sure if the Miranda should be included (though they are always seen in fleets), but the Constitution could still pull off a surprise or two with Admiral outfittings.
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-17-2010, 12:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostle View Post
It's only restricting ship tier, not player tier. As far as I know, the lower tier ships can still be fitted with MK X equipment. Personally, I'm not sure if the Miranda should be included (though they are always seen in fleets), but the Constitution could still pull off a surprise or two with Admiral outfittings.
The T1 shipes should honestly be the most common. They make up the bulk of both klingon and federation task forces seen on screen. (B'rels for Klingons and Mirandas for Feds)
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-17-2010, 07:00 AM
I'd like to see PvP arenas where the ship tier is restricted but not the captain tier. For example: Admirals in T3 ships.
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-17-2010, 07:05 AM
Well ships could yield victory points. Lets say a dead miranda would equal 1 point, while dead defient 4 points. If the game victory conditions would be balanced around reaching certain number, that would make some low tier ships more viable, as they can do solid dmg with mk X weapons, but their demise wouldnt hurt the team much, score wise.
Lt. Commander
# 16
02-17-2010, 08:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tain View Post
I think it is necessary for the survival of this game to find roles for ships of *all* tiers in the end game. Too many people have favorite ships that they want to play and will eventually just walk away if they have to abandon them for all the ugly ships later on.

Personally, I would love to see this coupled with a open pvp system farther down the road, where players, upon dying, receive a "death timer" that scales for the tier of the ship. T5 timers would be very long, t1-2 timers very short, and there should be an option to "buy" off the timer. Ships that are "destroyed" in open pvp would receive this timer, and could not re-enter the open pvp zone until it expired/was bought off. The ship would be otherwise unfffected, and still usable anywhere outside the pvp areas. This would introduce a sort of cost effectiveness element to ships without the need for destroying people's in game property and would give lower tier ships alot of use as far as fast responders/objective takers/ something you can use when your Neg'var is on cooldown and you don't wanna pay to remove the point.
me likes. you could also go the route of not using a timer and instead placing respawns points farther and farther away from the objective area based on ship tier. Thus requiring high tier ships to travel some extended distance through sector space to get back, while lowest tier ships may be respawned jut outside the system in sector or a system away in sector.
Lt. Commander
# 17
10-08-2010, 07:32 PM
Hate to bring to life such an old thread, but I would encourage Cryptic to look at implementing a system like this, and since we have a new producer perhaps he'll take a look.

Continue to bring thoughts forth.. I know there are refits for other classes of ship now, but still, this could be something to help bring in all levels of players to participate in.

This would also give Klingon and Federation Fleets something to do regularly.
Lt. Commander
# 18
10-09-2010, 04:17 PM
I am totally in favour of this. I think it would be great. I actually posted a thread on using smaller ships on specific maps. In this case each taking a fighter. Sadly no-one seems to have read it, or it was just another dumb idea of mine.

What I like about the idea of using earlier/older/smaller ships is the fact that I could fly a different ship, to its full capacity, without needingto respec all my BOffs. I could use basically the same ones with some small changes perhaps, but broadly the same with lower abilities. Then I could gly a dofferent ship reguraly for a bit of diversity.

Rather than simply plopping a huge complex queue of mixed ranks I would suggest simply assigning a weighting by rank. Once 20 points of players are available the game starts. THis could give us some really mixed fights ith hordes of weaker players and a really wild pvp experience.

There would have to be some scalling to prevent th LTs being pounded in seconds, but in principle its a great idea.