Lt. Commander
# 11
02-15-2010, 03:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jollyrogers
The only problem is that in the past, in other games, players clamored for such places. The developers put the time in to create them. And once the shiny wore off, they were ghost towns.
Can you give some examples? I'm just curious, because I can't think of any situations like that, in the games I've played.
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-16-2010, 06:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brynthe
Can you give some examples? I'm just curious, because I can't think of any situations like that, in the games I've played.
No real examples but any game I have played people are out "playing". Not being sarcastic or judgmental but a very minimal amount of people just want to sit around and RP in sight of each others avatars.

Chatting is more than enough social interaction while playing.

Maybe create a channel. Call it "Cheers" lol and invite people to it or tell them about it on here and in game and then you may have more to chat with, but it seems you may want some face to face area to emote and hang out.
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-16-2010, 06:39 AM
Quote:
I was referring to Cryptic. When they first released City of Heroes, they had a meeting place that was accessible from several zones. I think that lasted about two weeks before it was pretty empty. Then came City of Villains and a vocal group again requested a cross-faction meeting place. So they did it again. Once again, after the shiny wore off, it's pretty dead if you go in there.

Maybe STO will be different, who knows. But with the CoH franchise, I know twice they've put developer resources to such places a vocal group requested, just to have it basically turn out to be wasted code.
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-16-2010, 07:21 AM
While I was in most MMOs I played on RP servers or trying to role play.. I like this idea. Would kinda like some tool for making our own starbases or so. I will hope for that to future.

Would be actualy nice to be able to go through your whole ship and see crew doing something aswell.
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-16-2010, 08:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KB4
No real examples but any game I have played people are out "playing". Not being sarcastic or judgmental but a very minimal amount of people just want to sit around and RP in sight of each others avatars.

Chatting is more than enough social interaction while playing.

Maybe create a channel. Call it "Cheers" lol and invite people to it or tell them about it on here and in game and then you may have more to chat with, but it seems you may want some face to face area to emote and hang out.
Alot of us would prefer not to just sit in space and chat in public zone chat, to be honest its too public and not always the most mature of places for chat. Secondly, you have to consider that this population is all on one server, so while there ordinarily would be a small population on each server that enjoys this sort of thing, we now have a much larger group.. and to be honest, if chatting was just enough while playing we wouldn't be in this thread asking for a meeting place

Quote:
Maybe STO will be different, who knows. But with the CoH franchise, I know twice they've put developer resources to such places a vocal group requested, just to have it basically turn out to be wasted code.
I can see how that may be a problem, but I think the Star Trek IP alone brings in a different group of people who would appreciate certain places being added to the game for what they are. Anything that provides more of a Star Trek feel and immersion to this game will always be a positive, especially if Cryptic truly wants this game to last.
Lt. Commander
# 16
02-16-2010, 01:59 PM
I'm another one of those people who would really enjoy some more social locations in the game. My fleet is having an event where an RP briefing will be held. It's difficult to think of a place to do such a thing - especially if you plan on having more than five people in attendance (cap on invites to your bridge).

For the RP community, and even just for those who like to immerse themselves in MMO's even if they don't actively RP, things like this go a long way toward enjoying the game.

Oh, and please add a function for chairs to be interactive so one can sit down without standing on a chair. Nothing ruins the immersion more than trying to jump onto the table in front of your commanding officer.
Lt. Commander
# 17
02-16-2010, 03:11 PM
As I recall, the ship bridges are designed for this. It was supposed to be one of the reasons that our bridges are so oversized...
Lt. Commander
# 18
02-17-2010, 11:12 AM
I think, at this time there is no place to meet between the members of the fleet.

The fleets needs such a place, a suitable background, cause of
- recruiting new members
- promoting new officers
- trading and exchanging
- marrying ♥♥♥
- and emoting, drinking, eating together.
The list is long.

FAQ:

Question: Why canīt we do such simply things like trading or recruiting new officers for the fleet in a chat without meeting the Chars?
Answer: Because the flair of a role-playing game is for most people higher, if they donīt fight all time with their chars. They want to stay with friends in a short time of calmness. Some people like this meetings/events after a short time more than the regular missions, I know from former MMORPGīs.

Question: Whatīs about the new members? Are they afraid about meeting other player-chars, or are they tickled about this?
Answer: Most player I have invited in my guilds in D4O, ****, Gild Wars and Warhammer Online told later, they loved the moment of the meeting with the other members of their new fleet. They felt valuable cause of thinking not to be only one more person in chat and teamspeak.

Question: Is a place to meet not a foundation for role-playing? I donīt like role-playing, because I hate to use my keyboard.
Answer: Thatīs partway right. If you wanīt to make a role playing event with your character and you are not amused about using your keyboard, you can use self-made macros in most games. In **** Iīve married player-chars with a lot of those macros to avoid mistakes.

Question: Is role-playing hazardous to health?
Answer: There are no undesirable side effects known at this time.

If you have any more questions, why there must be a place to meet inside the game, I would like to move you to ask with the expectation getting some contenting answers.
Lt. Commander
# 19
02-17-2010, 11:16 AM
Quote:
While this obviously would suit the OP's purpose, it would be nice, from an RP standpoint, to have a place in game that was designed for that purpose (in the game's reality I mean).. such as a mess hall, or an observation lounge aboard your own ship, as opposed to the area the ship is supposed be commanded from.

They could possibly get away with some of the current options as well, such as the lounge above Club 47 on Sol Station, or Quark's Bar at DS9, if it weren't for the fact that the zone chats are included with the entire station.

The other option is one that is supposedly being considered by Cryptic and that is Fleet owned starbases. Which I think would be a nice touch.
You can create custom channels if you want. My Supergroup in CO has one and my fleet here has one. that way people who are not in your fleet but still want to converse with you can without being heard by evryone over Zone.
Lt. Commander
# 20
02-17-2010, 03:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoduck360
You can create custom channels if you want. My Supergroup in CO has one and my fleet here has one. that way people who are not in your fleet but still want to converse with you can without being heard by evryone over Zone.
I guess I'm not quite getting my point across. Some of us would prefer an actual location to meet up and roleplay or even just socialize with others. When a location is provided in game, it gives people a natural gathering place that they can stop by casually to join in the socialization. Creating a channel requires having to advertise that it exists, and you have to ask people to come join you, etc. If there were just a regular location in game, that people could choose to come by on their own, those who found it interesting would stick around, those who didn't would move along.

I understand that some people just don't get it.. but it makes a difference to some of us.. doesn't mean that both options can't exist (both a social location AND the channels).

And don't get me wrong, I'm grateful for Quarks and Club 47 and the different planets.. but most of those places either don't provide a good area to focus a group of people for socialization, or they are subject to being part of a much larger zone that is used for much more than just the social area (all the bars are a part of their parent space station zone chats.)