Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Star Trek Online General Discussion
Login

Lt. Commander
Anyone who still feels like this game is anything but a hollow shell of an MMO is either the slowest leveler in the history of MMOs or a complete fanboi. Either way, I'm outta here and I suggest you do the same to send a POINT to not only Cryptic, but also other MMO devs about what we expect from games we pay for. This trend has gone on long enough and it needs to end here. So Cryptic got their $20 million bonus. Maybe so, maybe not. But I personally refuse to even consider giving them any more of my hard earned cash. I hope that $20 million was worth it. Is that what your reputation costs? Good to know... Every friend I have has also canceled their subs and we all feel like this is a complete cash in quick scheme using a well known IP as a front.

And guess what? It TOTALLY IS! Do yourself and the MMO industry a favor and CANCEL NOW. I've seen the financial statements from cryptic in regards to their bonus, I've seen their CEO's track record, I've seen everything I need to see to know what this is. It's a scam and you're ALL falling for it. If you care nothing about the future of gaming and want to let companies like this **** you in the face over and over, then fine. Be part of the problem. This is about more than just playing a game. This is about setting standards as consumers.

It's about time we all stopped being so self-absorbed and stood up to these companies. It's our right as consumers and I, personally, am sick to DEATH of this happening because people are either too ignorant, lazy, or selfish to make a stand. So you don't get to play STO anymore. Oh Noes! You mean I can't log in once a day to do the ONLY quest available to me as an Admiral?! I'd mention the "upcoming quests" but I just keep laughing too hard to even type about it because I think we all know how weak Cryptic's content patches are at this point.

Show them that raping a famous IP and releasing the game early isn't kosher to turn a quick buck. Show them that nerd rage we ALL know is here ( I read the forums). Show them SOMETHING other than the inside of your wallet for god's sake.

It can begin with you. Or it can end with you in a ball of flames years from now. It's your choice, but either way it goes, it's your doing.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-15-2010, 03:37 AM
Right on.

Luckily, i had the brains and foresight to cancel my pre-order on the 30th of january - god it felt good to take that money back from Cryptics greedy little hands.

Inb4thefanbois.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-15-2010, 03:38 AM
People are not going to cancel just because you told them to do so. People are going to cancel based on their own experience with the game and on their own free will.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-15-2010, 03:48 AM
I do agree with the premise of your argument... setting standards for gaming companies.

However, you do have to realize that these days its not about the devs or programmers who really want everything they can dream of, it's more about the project management and those in control of the money, restricting the dreams in an awkward way. Its the mere fact that even before a single line of code is written a project gannt chart has been formulated which includes the budget of employing people... once that time line has come to fruition, you get what you get... and then you get patches paid for by consumers, from the cream of the profits.

Bottom line is that until a new production model is thought of, most future games will continue to deteriorate at launch.

Bottom bottom line is that this game and cryptic have completely floundered what they wanted to do (obvious by the statements made before launch of what was going to be available and has been cut) and the way they're trying to make good thus far by having too much to have to fix. I guess you could say that the eyes were bigger than the brain here.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-15-2010, 03:49 AM
I'm still debating whether to get the refund on my lifetime sub as there is a way to do it based on what happened to me with the VAT ect, Just waiting to see if anything happens in the short term
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-15-2010, 04:03 AM
Why yes... stability (if you've ever been in an MMO release, this one has been extremely stable by comparison), polish, gameplay and good performance are all terrible things that we don't want from MMOs. I want to read a book while I watch meters fill up.

The only reason I've gotten a bit stuck at late commander tier is lack of klingons to pvp with. I'm guessing that wasn't an intended feature.

The biggest problems are that ground combat feels all messed up, space encounters are often pretty redundant, and PvP needs some balance work. Less than a month after release for an MMO... that's really quite good.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-15-2010, 04:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by strondbokken View Post
Anyone who still feels like this game is anything but a hollow shell of an MMO is either the slowest leveler in the history of MMOs or a complete fanboi. Either way, I'm outta here and I suggest you do the same to send a POINT to not only Cryptic, but also other MMO devs about what we expect from games we pay for. This trend has gone on long enough and it needs to end here. So Cryptic got their $20 million bonus. Maybe so, maybe not. But I personally refuse to even consider giving them any more of my hard earned cash. I hope that $20 million was worth it. Is that what your reputation costs? Good to know... Every friend I have has also canceled their subs and we all feel like this is a complete cash in quick scheme using a well known IP as a front.

And guess what? It TOTALLY IS! Do yourself and the MMO industry a favor and CANCEL NOW. I've seen the financial statements from cryptic in regards to their bonus, I've seen their CEO's track record, I've seen everything I need to see to know what this is. It's a scam and you're ALL falling for it. If you care nothing about the future of gaming and want to let companies like this **** you in the face over and over, then fine. Be part of the problem. This is about more than just playing a game. This is about setting standards as consumers.

It's about time we all stopped being so self-absorbed and stood up to these companies. It's our right as consumers and I, personally, am sick to DEATH of this happening because people are either too ignorant, lazy, or selfish to make a stand. So you don't get to play STO anymore. Oh Noes! You mean I can't log in once a day to do the ONLY quest available to me as an Admiral?! I'd mention the "upcoming quests" but I just keep laughing too hard to even type about it because I think we all know how weak Cryptic's content patches are at this point.

Show them that raping a famous IP and releasing the game early isn't kosher to turn a quick buck. Show them that nerd rage we ALL know is here ( I read the forums). Show them SOMETHING other than the inside of your wallet for god's sake.

It can begin with you. Or it can end with you in a ball of flames years from now. It's your choice, but either way it goes, it's your doing.
Pretty much a pile of crap to be blunt. I have easily had my 39-99 worth of money on this game so far, have reached Commander 1 and am having a real blast, particularly PvP. I only visited DS9 for the first time last night, and have clocked up around 40 hours so far. I paid around 30 for GTAVI and played that for around 20 hours before getting bored.

Your opening line to this waste of words rant pretty much sums you up, I only took the time to reply just to let you know that you are talking rubbish and you are also a muppet. Your use of language and metaphors is completely out of order. It would have been far easier, and more useful to write something constructive as opposed to this utter pile of garbage.

However on topic, the issue with quality is not exclusive to Cryptic, there are many games that are forced to early releases due to pressure from higher powers who see numbers on balance sheets, and ignore quality. This MMO is no better or worse or 'in depth' that any other MMO on the market at the moment.

Comparisons of STO to MMO's that have been in development for a period of years is erroneous.

However I personally feel that cryptic are addressing everything that is raised, and my last two sessions have been completely crash free and enjoyable. The game also completely captures the Star Trek feel, and is clearly the work of Star Trek fans.

and note to those who have cancelled their accounts, and yet still find time to hang around these forums and brag about how clever they are,.... why? do you actually think people will be impressed and worship at the alter of your foresighted intelligence? You quit, you left, so go away. You lost the right to comment on the state of the game the moment you stopped playing, and anything you have to contribute about the game now is a waste of words and worthless hot air... freedom of speech is all very well if you can base it on fact. Its like me commenting about the way CPU's are manufactured... I havnt got a clue where / how or who and therefore have no right to comment.

I personally give STO 2-thumbs up!
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-15-2010, 04:46 AM
STo is a decent game. It's not perfect by any means, but it has the potential to be great, and to their credit, the developers seem to be working towards that goal.

The OP, seems to be one of those idiots over at that terrible mmo site mmorpg.com. They think they know it all, and god forbid anyone who disagrees with their way of thinking.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-15-2010, 04:48 AM
/Signed.

I will never buy anything made by Cryptic ever again. This STO experience has opened my eyes to what a company can really be like when they care more for bottom line profit then actual sustainability.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-15-2010, 04:52 AM
yeah it worked for swg