Lt. Commander
# 1 Congradulations!
02-15-2010, 01:41 AM
Upon reaching my Lieutenant Commander rank, I felt a sense of pride, and I marveled at the beauty of my new ship.. however something seemed missing. While I can understand the resource allocation towards making the game run properly, and adding new content, I got to thinking. What if rank ups were treated.. extra nice at Sol Station.

Consider the following: Your character, when he gets to the ceremony, is treated to an in game movie-like sequence. Nothing special, just a different camera angle, where your character walks to the podium. A short speech chronicling some of the missions that have been done (implemented through the log, similar to the quips given by random NPCs who talk about you as you move about). You character is given the next rank medal and the scene pulls out, showing everyone who salutes and applauds. A bit of audible cheering and then it zooms out and you regain the movement of your character. If you wish, you can skip this scene by pressing escape.

When you get a new Starship, it would be nice to be treated to a sequence that shows close-up views of your ship, perhaps in Star Trek Intro fashion. This could even be replayed with the current ship after editing. When a ship is earned, the option to edit the ship's appearance should be given immediately, and available until taken. Once taken, the option goes away, but the sequence can be replayed at Sol.

This gives a bit of a feel of importance and a bit of glory to the idea of a new ship. It makes the game feel more cinematic.. more involving and gives you something to show off to your friends. Starships are a mark of pride, why not make them appear as such?

Any thoughts?
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-15-2010, 01:43 AM
I have nothing against this, as long as everything is optional or skippable. However, there are truck loads of actual issues, and this is very minor.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-15-2010, 01:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlvs View Post
I have nothing against this, as long as everything is optional or skippable. However, there are truck loads of actual issues, and this is very minor.
True, but I don't think that content and improvements should be ignored over adjustments. I think both are vital to an MMO. I don't think it'd be too hard to implement /and/ it wouldn't pull away from programmers (mostly graphical programming involved with these)
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-15-2010, 11:34 AM
No one else thinks this is a good idea? It's a small update, but I think it'd add a bit of panache to the game.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-15-2010, 11:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khorax View Post
No one else thinks this is a good idea? It's a small update, but I think it'd add a bit of panache to the game.
I think it is a great idea.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-15-2010, 01:58 PM
Congrats. I too reached Lt. Cmdr. last night.