Lieutenant
# 1 Scan ship problem
08-03-2014, 03:24 PM
One of my mission objectives is to scan a ship, let's call it U.S.S. MyShip.

I've put the ship on the map and named it U.S.S. MyShip but I cannot use it as objective. So, I've added an Invisible Object 10 ft. and used it as objective for Scan U.S.S. MyShip.

It works great but now on the map I have one U.S.S. MyShip and one Invisible Object 10 ft.

That's why I have renamed the invisible object to "Scan U.S.S. MyShip" but is there a way to blank either name? It seems that it reverts to default name each time I try to do that...

The problem is that I don't want to have "U.S.S. MyShip" and "Scan U.S.S. MyShip" simulteanously on map and I cannot blank either name.
Career Officer
# 2
08-03-2014, 03:42 PM
Nope, unfortunately you're probably stuck with both object names. Starting around Season 8, STO began automatically displaying the target reticule, name and all, around all interactable objects. There is presently no way to hide it.
Lieutenant
# 3
08-03-2014, 03:45 PM
Thank you, that's strange because I think I've seen foundry missions with objectives that didn't display like that. Maybe that weren't ships.
Rihannsu
# 4
08-03-2014, 06:36 PM
Like hippie said(in several other threads), as with many things, the answer is "no. but..."

You can name the objective "Scan ship", but put in a dialog with contact objective with the ship as the contact. the catch is that you won't see the scan animation....
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Starfleet Veteran
# 5
08-03-2014, 07:09 PM
Here's what you do. Split it into two objectives. The first is a reach marker objective around the ship called Locate the U.S.S. Myship. The second is your Scan the U.S.S. Myship. This puts the player in close range of the ship so they don't see the brackets for the invisible object.

@greendragoon
Lieutenant
# 6
08-04-2014, 12:20 AM
Thank you, I will look into that when I have some time.
Captain
# 7
08-04-2014, 08:06 AM
With invisible objects I have started naming them with a punctuation, like a .

This allows me to keep the Distance to Target displayed, and the name is effectively not appearing

These are the Voyages on the STO forum, the final frontier. Our continuing mission: to explore Pretentious Posts, to seek out new Overreactions and Misinformation , to boldly experience Cynicism like no man has before.......
Lt. Commander
# 8
08-07-2014, 02:45 PM
Another trick you can do is use an enemy NPC Group (create it as a friendly faction so they don't attack and you can't attack) and set its end state (i.e., from visible to hidden) to THIS COMPONENT COMPLETE. Set your trigger settings as you wish.

Then set an on map Pop Up Dialogue whose initial state is set to WHEN COMPONENT COMPLETE and set it to the enemy NPC Group. Create at least 2 conversations in this dialogue tree.

Then create an NPC Contact, this is a duplicate of the ship you just scanned which disappeared and is meant to replace it. Set it's initial state to WHEN DIALOGUE PROMPT REACHED and select the second conversation box to the pop up above. This will make sure it doesn't spawn too quick but before the pop up box is gone.

NOTE: placement is key for this to work effectively so try to direct the player in a way where you are almost guaranted the ship they are going to scan is as directly in front of them as possible so the pop up dialogue will hide the ship. Because you are interacting with an object you will need to be a little closer than with an invisible object.

Like the rest of the suggestions it's not perfect but another option.
Captain
# 9
08-12-2014, 05:29 PM
Your best bet is probably setting the object to appear once the player hits a place marker right near it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by askray View Post
YAY I'M EVOLVED! *drools on his chin*
Quote:
Originally Posted by voporak View Post
Welcome to the STO forums, where the evolutionary clock ticks backwards.