Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > The Academy
Login

Lt. Commander
I'll try to keep this nice and simple! =D

Here are my questions, I trust this rather flavorful community to garner good responses! ^-^

1.) I understand you are able to walk around on ships, at least to some extent. What is this extent? Are you able to 'visit' or 'beam aboard' other player's ships?

2.) How is the ground area? Are there some larger places / cities etc. where large amounts of players might meet and / or battle against Borg etc.?

3.) Is it possible to play mostly on the ground, and forsake ship combat for a bit? How is the variety of armor / weapons for the player character? Is there plenty of choice in configuring outfits?

Overall, im looking for a game that bears some semblance to good ole' Tabula Rasa...thoughts? Comments? Trolling / Flaming? xD
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-16-2010, 12:14 AM
1) You can visit your own bridge (press the downward triangle on the R of the map window), and you can invite other people to your bridge.
2) You can visit Risa and Vulcan, and I believe a 3rd planet but I'm blanking. Once there you can frolic in the surf of Risa, burn in the sun of Vulcan, and generally just goof off. You can also visit DS9.
3) I doubt it seriously. Maybe if all you did was ground combat PvP, but otherwise you'll have to get in your ship. Afterall, you're a Star Ship captain; you need to fly once in awhile.

No giant spiders here, so forget Tabula Rasa <G>.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-16-2010, 01:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamui View Post
2) You can visit Risa and Vulcan, and I believe a 3rd planet but I'm blanking. Once there you can frolic in the surf of Risa, burn in the sun of Vulcan, and generally just goof off. You can also visit DS9.
3rd planet is Andoria.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-16-2010, 02:25 AM
As for ground combat. The game is about 80-20 space at the moment. The exception is Exploration missions which are tilted towards ground combat. The issue is that becasue so much of the rest of the game is space oriented doing more than a few ground missions in a row will proably end up feeling very repetitive. And that is coming from someone who really likes the ground combat in the game.

Just about every episiode (Story line mission) has some kind of ground componnet sandwiched in with space stuff. There is at least one ground based Fleet Action which is, in my opinion, wicked fun
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-16-2010, 05:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocSavag View Post
Just about every episiode (Story line mission) has some kind of ground componnet sandwiched in with space stuff. There is at least one ground based Fleet Action which is, in my opinion, wicked fun
As Doc said, there's generally some ground combat in every story episode.

The trouble is that quite a lot of the game isn't full scripted story content. If you're doing 'patrol' missions, which are like...'episodes-lite', chances are they'll be almost entirely in space.

Exploration content can be anything, including ground combat, but chances are it'll still be mostly in space.

Which is a shame to some degree - I really like ground combat. 'Breaking the Planet' is the ground fleet action Doc was probably talking about. A Fleet Action is an open combat zone where large numbers of players must team up to complete objectives.

Most of these are in space. At least one is on the ground - I don't know if there's more ground Fleet Actions, Breaking the Planet is the one I've done. It is truly awesome to charge across a bridge spanning a sheer ravine...alongside thirty-odd other players. Phaser fire everywhere.
Lt. Commander
# 6 my luck
02-16-2010, 05:25 AM
It has been my unfortunate experience that 80 percent of my exploration missions have been ground combat. I prefer space exploration/combat. So I guess it depends on the server's choice...serve the will of the servers.....they live.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-16-2010, 05:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starskipper

3.) Is it possible to play mostly on the ground, and forsake ship combat for a bit? How is the variety of armor / weapons for the player character? Is there plenty of choice in configuring outfits?
? xD
To be honest, Ground combat in STO is not pleasant/fun...ground combatgame mechanics are clunky. This isn't STO's forte.
If you're trying to avoid STO's space combat (which is STO's forte in a relative manner) then you should look for another game
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-16-2010, 05:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefx73 View Post
To be honest, Ground combat in STO is not pleasant/fun...ground combatgame mechanics are clunky. This isn't STO's forte.
If you're trying to avoid STO's space combat (which is STO's forte in a relative manner) then you should look for another game
I think thats personal taste i like both the ground and the space missions as much as each other i mean yeah your BO's are not the smartest but there not that bad i like my crew they keep me alive when the going gets tough.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-16-2010, 06:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acylion
As Doc said, there's generally some ground combat in every story episode.

The trouble is that quite a lot of the game isn't full scripted story content. If you're doing 'patrol' missions, which are like...'episodes-lite', chances are they'll be almost entirely in space.

Exploration content can be anything, including ground combat, but chances are it'll still be mostly in space.

Which is a shame to some degree - I really like ground combat. 'Breaking the Planet' is the ground fleet action Doc was probably talking about. A Fleet Action is an open combat zone where large numbers of players must team up to complete objectives.

Most of these are in space. At least one is on the ground - I don't know if there's more ground Fleet Actions, Breaking the Planet is the one I've done. It is truly awesome to charge across a bridge spanning a sheer ravine...alongside thirty-odd other players. Phaser fire everywhere.
I disagree that exploration missions are mostly space. My experience and comments by the devs themselves indicate they are heavily bent towards ground combat.

The Breaking the Planet is indeed the ground fleet action I was talking about. And charging across bridges with phaser fire everywhere and enemies filling in behind you is quite a thrill. I hope that if there aren't any other ground fleet actions in the game today there soon will be because its quite an exciting experience.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-16-2010, 08:00 AM
I really enjoyed 'breaking the planet', the ground fleet action, it was great running around with all the other players. I think the ground combat is very fun!