Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
So I reached commander and was struggling with some combat missions so I took stock of my gear and realized I still had some loot from when I started out in my Miranda Class ship. Once I realized this I headed back to Spacedock 1 and headed up to the Badge vendors there to make a list and set about replacing my antiquated gear with some more currrent stuff.

Once reviewing the engines however (sold by Lieutentant Jotun) I come to wonder why anyone would buy the "Impulse Engines Mk VI" versus the Combat or Hyper versions. All three types have + 80 impulse engines when under full impulse. The combat variety has matching stats for normal flight speed and turn rate, and the hyper version has 1 better for each. Meanwhile the Combat version is efficient at low power levels and the hyper version is efficient at high power levels. The normal version has nothing so cool. So why buy one? And if there is no reason, why have one in the store? Is there perhaps an implied inefficiency in the combat and hyper versions at the opposite end of the spectrum?

Any ideas?

Thanks

~! Arch
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 2
02-16-2010, 05:41 AM
Heh.. the nothing so cool part is exactly why I'm using them. I'm having my engines set to 50 energy generally, making Hyper and Combat both useless since 50 is too low for Hyper and too high for Combat.

For the general person this 'average' engine works probably best. I'm flying in a science vessel btw. I can imagine that Hyper is mostly great for escorts and Combat mostly for cruisers.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 3
02-16-2010, 05:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archamedius View Post
So I reached commander and was struggling with some combat missions so I took stock of my gear and realized I still had some loot from when I started out in my Miranda Class ship. Once I realized this I headed back to Spacedock 1 and headed up to the Badge vendors there to make a list and set about replacing my antiquated gear with some more currrent stuff.

Once reviewing the engines however (sold by Lieutentant Jotun) I come to wonder why anyone would buy the "Impulse Engines Mk VI" versus the Combat or Hyper versions. All three types have + 80 impulse engines when under full impulse. The combat variety has matching stats for normal flight speed and turn rate, and the hyper version has 1 better for each. Meanwhile the Combat version is efficient at low power levels and the hyper version is efficient at high power levels. The normal version has nothing so cool. So why buy one? And if there is no reason, why have one in the store? Is there perhaps an implied inefficiency in the combat and hyper versions at the opposite end of the spectrum?

Any ideas?

Thanks

~! Arch
Almost everyone I know is using the MK IV Engines from the "City at the edge of Never" quest line... even after they reach admiral, as the +5 to AUX, Weps and Shields outshines any other engine currently available in the game. Extra impulse speed is neither here nor there compared to 15 extra power for free.

Unfortunately all MMOs I have played suffer from the "Vendors don't sell anything useful" problem. Quest items and drops are always much better.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 4
02-16-2010, 05:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nishka
I can imagine that Hyper is mostly great for escorts and Combat mostly for cruisers.
It's the other way around, Combat Impulse Engines are great for Escorts as they generally run with low engine power.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 5
02-16-2010, 06:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nishka
Heh.. the nothing so cool part is exactly why I'm using them. I'm having my engines set to 50 energy generally, making Hyper and Combat both useless since 50 is too low for Hyper and too high for Combat.

For the general person this 'average' engine works probably best. I'm flying in a science vessel btw. I can imagine that Hyper is mostly great for escorts and Combat mostly for cruisers.
The efficiency doesn't just refer to your power into engines, but all your power levels, so if you have combat any power level that is low will be slightly higher than usual.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 6
02-16-2010, 06:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodz
It's the other way around, Combat Impulse Engines are great for Escorts as they generally run with low engine power.
Only those, who like to park and nuke, then die..and whine after ) wish i had more power to engines always :-))
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 7
02-16-2010, 06:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodz
It's the other way around, Combat Impulse Engines are great for Escorts as they generally run with low engine power.
Ah, well I'm an escort newb. My previous post showed as much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming64
The efficiency doesn't just refer to your power into engines, but all your power levels, so if you have combat any power level that is low will be slightly higher than usual.
Thanks! I didn't know that either. Looks like I still need to do a lot of reading up on this sorta thing.

I'm generally flying around in my science vessel, maybe I should make my tactical/ engineer alt a bit faster then my current planning.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 8
02-16-2010, 06:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perdition View Post
Almost everyone I know is using the MK IV Engines from the "City at the edge of Never" quest line... even after they reach admiral, as the +5 to AUX, Weps and Shields outshines any other engine currently available in the game. Extra impulse speed is neither here nor there compared to 15 extra power for free.

Unfortunately all MMOs I have played suffer from the "Vendors don't sell anything useful" problem. Quest items and drops are always much better.
Except that this engine is SO much better you'll use it at level 45 without sacrificing your other stats.

To be honest, I'm shocked said engine is still there. It's THAT good that you no longer even consider getting something else.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 9
02-16-2010, 06:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobFromAccounting
Except that this engine is SO much better you'll use it at level 45 without sacrificing your other stats.

To be honest, I'm shocked said engine is still there. It's THAT good that you no longer even consider getting something else.
I was hoping there would be a better version of it down the road... That said, I've upgraded all my gear EXCEPT the impulse engine to "green" Mk VI stuff from the exploration vendors.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 10
02-16-2010, 06:43 AM
I kept that engine and I'm uxing a blue MK IX atm, but I'll replace it with the other one tonight again. The mk IX is sweet for extra warp and impulse speed, but stat wise the other is a lot better.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:23 PM.