Lt. Commander
I started a second char and all UI-options are at default values. Is there a way to copy them from my first char to my second one? I know how to save keybindings, but i don't want to create my chat-channels one by one again.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-16-2010, 05:04 AM
Despite the popularity of the feature request, there's no way to do this in either STO or CO.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-16-2010, 05:05 AM
Let's get to where things save for the SAME character, before we start worrying about setting up defaults for new characters...
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-16-2010, 05:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itanius View Post
Despite the popularity of the feature request, there's no way to do this in either STO or CO.
Why do they ignore us, anybody can tell me please? That's a feature which needs 5 minutes of work. Save Settings - Load Settings.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-16-2010, 10:53 AM
Quote:
Why do they ignore us, anybody can tell me please? That's a feature which needs 5 minutes of work. Save Settings - Load Settings.
I don't want to assume how easy or difficult it may or may not be to implement, but I'm sure it has something to do with the way it stores our UI information. From what I can tell, game/UI config data is stored on the server instead of the client, which puts the workload on Cryptic instead of the player. If the data were stored in a config file somewhere client-side, then we could easily manipulate it per-character.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-20-2010, 10:33 PM
Like others who have commented, I also use the right side of the keyboard. Setting my keybinds is time-consuming and annoying, and I end up tweaking them throughout the first few hours of the game. But, I know I'm in the minority and I expect to have to go through this every time I start a new game.

However, I don't expect to have to go through it every single time I make a new character. In the few games I've played where keybinds are saved server-side, at least they're universal and not character specific. There are a lot of things that STO has really gotten very right, but this is an issue that sends the headache meter shooting way up.

I see two solutions:

1. Make keybinds and UI settings universal by account and not by character. This saves the people that like to rearrange and reassign (I'm sure most everybody changes something) tons of time. They will appreciate it. They will spend more time enjoying the game and less time grumbling and sighing at it.

2. Make UI settings and keybinds saved client-side. This is Way Better. Many people seem to have issues with UI elements and keybinds resetting. If you store them client-side, then all of these problems will just go away. People can make backups of their settings. They can copy them from one character to another. They can have the same settings or different settings for multiple characters -- their choice. They can have friendlier settings for their laptop or any other computers on which they would like to access the game. Happy, happy, happy.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-25-2010, 02:02 AM
Bump, we need a Cryptic-guy to comment this.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-25-2010, 07:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itanius View Post
I think because Cryptic is trying to think of a way to have it save on their side. Instead of like how we can save looks to our hard drive and load them on character creation or the tailor route.
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-03-2010, 06:23 AM
I'd also like to add my support to request for a way to save "Rearrange HUD" settings. I like to make Alts and reroll a lot. It's very frustrating to have to move around the windows each time and double-check each setting for gameplay options. After building a character for so long you get used to everything being in a certain place a certain way but you may have set it up weeks or months ago so it can take a while to remember it how to get it back how you like it on a new character.

We have a way to save key-bindings and that's great, let's get this next step taken care of.

I don't think I've ever done this, but since it's also an issue with CO ... I'd really like to hear what a Dev has to say about why they're not letting us at least save these settings per account if not save locally.