Lt. Commander
# 11
02-16-2010, 08:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocLuedeman
It'd be a good idea but folks need to realize that STO hasn't even out of the gate for a month yet.

All things in due time.
Yea, I know. I was wanted to know if they should do events for holidays.

I, for one, would love to chunk pumpkins at other ships for a day or two, or colorful easter eggs.
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-16-2010, 08:56 AM
You also have to remember that our 'day' 'month' and 'year' have little or no meaning with regards to alien species. So celebrating alien festivals will likely have to float around the calender each year.

I do like the idea of Captain Picard Day.
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-16-2010, 09:15 AM
What impact would a holiday have in game?

Let's take christmas for example. In World of ******** all of the major cities are decorated, there's a santa and there are christmas-themed quests. City of Heroes has giant snowmen attacking the city for the heroes to stop. That just wouldn't fit into STO.

We won't decorate the hull of our ships for holidays like christmas, so space and space combat would look exactly the same.
Ground combat is usually in enemy military facilities or on strange planets. It wouldn't make sense suddenly seeing a christmas tree or other holiday decorations there.
Our home stations would probably not change that much either. Maybe stardock would get a single christmas tree, but that's it. And you wouldn't see people celebrating either. Those celebrating are off duty, and celebrating back on earth with their loved ones. If you are on duty at that time, you better look as professional as on any other day.

It seems like a waste of energy to have special attention to holidays, when they can go almost unnoticed in game.

That being said, it would be nice to have something extra when we're home during a holiday. But it doesn't have to be linked to the holiday in any way. Maybe a nice borg invasion to keep us busy during christmas, or an undine fortress-ship roaming space during the summer holidays.
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-16-2010, 09:18 AM
There are plenty of celebrations they could do that came from the series. Be it TNG or DS9 or VOY, all of them had at least one cultural info episode that led to some form of celebration.

It wouldn't have to be a real life holiday.
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-16-2010, 10:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gundarr
...We won't decorate the hull of our ships for holidays like christmas, so space and space combat would look exactly the same..
C'mon now, admit it. You'd be the first one with your crew out on the hull stringing lights around the saucer and along the nacelles.
Lt. Commander
# 16
02-16-2010, 10:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sural_Argonus
I want to see them sing songs of The Great Tribble Hunt.......
And put on their best eau de la Earthy/Lilac cologne.
Lt. Commander
# 17
02-16-2010, 10:37 AM
I agree....we "must" have Captain Picard Day!!!!
Lt. Commander
# 18
02-16-2010, 01:00 PM
It would be neat to be able to visit planets and if you went to a planet during a holiday you could partake, but I don't see how or why Halloween would get celebrated through out the galaxy.