Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > The Academy
Login

Lt. Commander
# 11
02-16-2010, 10:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callasan View Post
Slight immersion breaker there - how would you implement that for ground missions? Or, are you saying you'd be carrying your ship's cargo bay around wiht you?

The original idea of two separate bays, one only accessible on the ship, was decent - I guess the implementation left a lot to be desired.

On that, the answer might be simple. Considering the fact that you can install ship systems from your inventory on the ground into the active system grid of your ship in orbit or that you can equip members of your crew while they aren't anywhere near you, I hereby assume that your inventory isn't actually what you carry around, but what your ship holds in it's cargo bay.

So whenever an item is picked up, it's being "beamed" to your ship. When you need to equip or use something, its transported to you.
I know this sounds a bit far-fetched, but it would also explain why you can't use a hypospray from your inventory directly - you have to equip it first.
Same would apply in space - certain components can not be used until they are transferred to an "active system slot".

Also, a fitting concept of "micro-transporter" technology was made up a few years ago for "Star Trek - Elite Force" to explain the fact that your character was carrying around about 5x more stuff than you were able to see on him/her at any given time. Although in Elite Force, your character used a local personal mini-transporter in his armor "storage" for his items.

In conclusion, Cryptic could still re-apply the inventory size differences for ship classes, if one would follow my assumptions.
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-16-2010, 10:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DK-Starfire
On that, the answer might be simple. Considering the fact that you can install ship systems from your inventory on the ground into the active system grid of your ship in orbit or that you can equip members of your crew while they aren't anywhere near you, I hereby assume that your inventory isn't actually what you carry around, but what your ship holds in it's cargo bay.

So whenever an item is picked up, it's being "beamed" to your ship. When you need to equip or use something, its transported to you.
I know this sounds a bit far-fetched, but it would also explain why you can't use a hypospray from your inventory directly - you have to equip it first.
Same would apply in space - certain components can not be used until they are transferred to an "active system slot".

Also, a fitting concept of "micro-transporter" technology was made up a few years ago for "Star Trek - Elite Force" to explain the fact that your character was carrying around about 5x more stuff than you were able to see on him/her at any given time. Although in Elite Force, your character used a local personal mini-transporter in his armor "storage" for his items.

In conclusion, Cryptic could still re-apply the inventory size differences for ship classes, if one would follow my assumptions.
The rationale for the inventory capacity in Elite Force was wo use the mini-transporter's "transport buffer" to actually hold the patterns, and the mini-transporter's materializer/dematerializer to manifest the items - basically a transporter without the transmission unit. Essentially a replicator.

Aside from other issues,that would means that the "inventory" would still have a limit (the size of the "buffer) - that would account for why the inventory doesn't count size or mass into it - all you're actually carrying around is the computer "record" of the item. It also accoount for why items have to be "equipped" before use - gotta take 'em out of the buffer. Doesn't acount for having quantities though - why couldn't you just replicate the items inthe buffer indefinitely?

ALL THAT ASIDE, having a separate ship's inventory would make a lot of sense, just have it inaccessible during ground missions. Instead, we have the system we now have.
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-16-2010, 10:41 AM
Quote:
The rationale for the inventory capacity in Elite Force was wo use the mini-transporter's "transport buffer" to actually hold the patterns, and the mini-transporter's materializer/dematerializer to manifest the items - basically a transporter without the transmission unit. Essentially a replicator.

Aside from other issues,that would means that the "inventory" would still have a limit (the size of the "buffer) - that would account for why the inventory doesn't count size or mass into it - all you're actually carrying around is the computer "record" of the item. It also accoount for why items have to be "equipped" before use - gotta take 'em out of the buffer. Doesn't acount for having quantities though - why couldn't you just replicate the items inthe buffer indefinitely?

ALL THAT ASIDE, having a separate ship's inventory would make a lot of sense, just have it inaccessible during ground missions. Instead, we have the system we now have.
I would like to see something like this, so I can keep my commodities and anomalous data in my ships bay for future use.

In fact I would like to see the personal (not fleet) bank go away and be replaced with a ship's hold.
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-16-2010, 10:48 AM
Quote:

I think you misunderstood me there a bit. I didn't imply to use Elite Force's technical idea as a whole, I merely mentioned it for comparison.
And I certainly don't want two seperate inventories.

As the inventory IS now, one could already explain it with the use of the ship's transporter. From my point of view it seems that currently your "inventory" in STO is in essence an overview of your ship's cargo hold.
If you need to use anything from it, you have to drag (or, as I see it, "beam" or "install") it from the cargo hold to an active device slot or the ship system slot or your crewmember.

In light of this, different inventory sizes would easily be explained by the earlier mentioned difference in ship sizes.
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-16-2010, 12:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoduck360
I would like to see something like this, so I can keep my commodities and anomalous data in my ships bay for future use.

In fact I would like to see the personal (not fleet) bank go away and be replaced with a ship's hold.
How about we keep the Personal Bank at Stations, Keep the Inventory and we keep the Ships Overflow Cargo Bay which all ready exists, it's part of your inventory. It's allready been explained that equipment is simply beamed back and forth from the Cargo Bay (Inventory) while on the Ground. It makes perfect rational sence and the current amount of storage space we have, I believe is perfectly fine, also everytime you get promoted, you gain extra Storage Space which doesn't quite make sence, as you should only gain that extra space when you change to a ship with a larger Cargo Bay, but it works.

Everyone, be hapy with what you have, appreciate it for what it is and for what it is not, why would you even want so much more Storage Space? That would make things unrealistic, remove a vital element of the game and also make the game easier, is this what you want?
Lt. Commander
# 16
02-16-2010, 12:13 PM
How exactly does this "overflow" cargo bay work? I didn't get to play much over the weekend, and never managed to fill my inventory when I did.

Is it a separate window? A temporary overage allowance? Something else?
Lt. Commander
# 17
02-16-2010, 12:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorphius
How exactly does this "overflow" cargo bay work? I didn't get to play much over the weekend, and never managed to fill my inventory when I did.

Is it a separate window? A temporary overage allowance? Something else?
I haven't seen that since they first implemented it to fix an issue where items that were being removed from your character were being lost because your inventory was full. I certainly got enough "inventory full" messages this weekend before doing a round of inventory clean up the other day.
Lt. Commander
# 18
02-16-2010, 12:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alecto View Post

How about we keep the Personal Bank at Stations, Keep the Inventory and we keep the Ships Overflow Cargo Bay which all ready exists, it's part of your inventory. It's allready been explained that equipment is simply beamed back and forth from the Cargo Bay (Inventory) while on the Ground. It makes perfect rational sence and the current amount of storage space we have, I believe is perfectly fine, also everytime you get promoted, you gain extra Storage Space which doesn't quite make sence, as you should only gain that extra space when you change to a ship with a larger Cargo Bay, but it works.

Everyone, be hapy with what you have, appreciate it for what it is and for what it is not, why would you even want so much more Storage Space? That would make things unrealistic, remove a vital element of the game and also make the game easier, is this what you want?
That's great and all, but personally, I hate having to go back to Earth Spacedock just to put things into my bank. It would be nice just to chuck it out of my inventory and into the cargo bay for future use and keep on Trekkin'
Lt. Commander
# 19
02-16-2010, 12:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoduck360
That's great and all, but personally, I hate having to go back to Earth Spacedock just to put things into my bank. It would be nice just to chuck it out of my inventory and into the cargo bay for future use and keep on Trekkin'
So only put non essential items in your Personal bank that you want to keep for later, and that you know your not going to use anytime soon and definately not in your next mission. Lets say you have 50 Samples of some kind and you know your not going to use them untill you next visit Memory Alpha, so stick them in your Bank etc...

Also, their are many places that allow you access to your Personal bank, Earth Space Dock, Space Station K7, Starbase 39, Deep Space Nine, Memory Alpha and more...
Lt. Commander
# 20
02-16-2010, 12:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alecto View Post
So only put non essential items in your Personal bank that you want to keep for later, and that you know your not going to use anytime soon and definately not in your next mission. Lets say you have 50 Samples of some kind and you know your not going to use them untill you next visit Memory Alpha, so stick them in your Bank etc...

Also, their are many places that allow you access to your Personal bank, Earth Space Dock, Space Station K7, Starbase 39, Deep Space Nine, Memory Alpha and more...
To each his own I guess.

No matter where the station, I dislike having to go out of my way to use the bank.

I liked ship cargo bays, and would like to see them back. Being a bank substitute seems like it would have been a better idea than just rolling them into your inventory.