Lt. Commander
I am really interested in some of the history given out in the loading screen texts, but I've missed a lot of them becaue of fast load times.

Is there a collected list, somewhere, of all the different texts that can appear on the loading screens?
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-16-2010, 10:10 AM
I would like this as well. I would like to know what all the tips are.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-16-2010, 10:15 AM
http://www.startrekonline.com/fiction

Uhm.. Closest thing I can think of!
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-16-2010, 10:47 AM
I dont know if this will help. But there is a book being released soon called Star Tek Online: The Needs of the Many. There is no synopisis on it yet. But I wouldnt be surprised if it has the collective history between Nemesis and current. As well as some short stories tying up the loose ends left here in the game.
Just as Blizzard did, Im guessing Atari is going to capitalize on the demand for more STO:Universe storylines outside of the game.

VV. Found a Description of it:

Prior to the terror-filled times of the Long War—the seemingly endless struggle against the Undine, a paranoid, shape-shifting race once known only as Species 8472—enemy sleeper agents quietly penetrated every echelon of Federation society, as well as other starfaring civilizations throughout the Alpha and Beta quadrants. The ensuing conflict shook humanity to its very core, often placing its highest ideals against a pure survival instinct. All too frequently, the Undine War demanded the harshest of sacrifices and exacted the steepest of personal costs from the countless millions whose lives the great interdimensional clash forever altered.

Drawn from his exhaustive research and interviews, The Needs of the Many delivers a glimpse of Betar Prize–winning author Jake Sisko’s comprehensive "living history" of this tumultuous era. With collaborator Michael A. Martin, Sisko illuminates an often-poorly-understood time, an age marked indelibly by both fear and courage—not to mention the willingness of multitudes of unsung heroes who became the living embodiment of the ancient Vulcan philosopher Surak’s famous axiom, "The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few."
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-16-2010, 11:48 AM
Having loading screens for every single aspect of the game is annoying enough, making them last longer so one could read the tidbits of information would be insane.

So yeah, instead of that like the OP said, a collection of them all somewhere would be nice.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-16-2010, 11:52 AM
HUH HUH HUH "the load screens are so short I can't read them"

Way to get your point out about the load screens. Very passive aggressive. Bravo me likey.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-16-2010, 03:50 PM
So, this is a "no" then? I'm new enough that a lot of the mechanical tips are beyond me, but I load much too fast to read any of them!

If we don't have a list, could someone at least tell me any of the game-effect tips they remember seeing? I'm especially interested in the tractor beam stuff.

(And before you think I'm bragging about the loading screens, I'd like to point out that my integrated graphics card runs the game on 640*480 resolution. I assure you, you don't need to be jealous. )
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-16-2010, 05:06 PM
I'd be interested in such a list as well. I saw a bit of text the other night about "Ferengi Grand Nagus Rom" but missed most of it. As I used to play CoH with a guy named Rom, the thought of him showing up in STO as a wheedling Ferengi crime boss who sounds like Vizzini from "Princess Bride" is awesome. I'd like to read the whole thing.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-16-2010, 05:14 PM
Do not suggest longer loading screens, thanks.

As for how, here's what worked for me:
Zone into something and immediately Alt Tab (Might not work on Window mode). When you switch back to the game, it should be finished loading and is waiting for you to press a key. Now if you simply avoid pressing a key, you can read as many of the tips as you want. I believe this is an "easter egg" of sorts, left in for ST history enthusiasts to get their fill.

Enjoy!
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-16-2010, 06:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bron
I believe this is an "easter egg" of sorts, left in for ST history enthusiasts to get their fill.
I think it's actually there to prevent the instance maps from starting up before you're back and ready, so that way you don't accidentally pull a ship by just sitting there. But with the mission logs at the start, seems a little pointless.