Lt. Commander
# 11
02-16-2010, 09:25 AM
I can imagine a whole lot of things, that doesn't necessarily mean it's possible in reality. For instance, I can imagine having a harem of slave girls in my closet ready to make true any of my carnal whims. I can also imagine playing games with my mind and manipulating in game objects with my hands. I can imagine what flying over the city would be like.

Just because you can imagine what the game could have been like in your warped fantasies doesn't mean that it's a bad game for actually existing in reality.
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-16-2010, 09:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedgp123 View Post
They were given less than 2 years to make this game, so they had to use their prebuilt engine.
Ya know? I keep having to correct you on so many things. Cryptic were not given 18 months by CBS or Atari. Cryptic were given the license/contract because THEY said they could do it in 18 months, thanks to their "rapid development" methedologies.
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-16-2010, 09:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainQuirk View Post

All this thread is going to do is feed the already prevelant nerd-rage and we'll end up with yet another multi-page thread that serves absolutely no useful purpose.

Good day...
Not to hijack this thread but...........ok I'm hijacking this thread but every time I read the term Nerd Rage I picture a dude foaming at the mouth with fogged up glasses shoving remotes up his arse.
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-16-2010, 09:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaneshi
Ya know? I keep having to correct you on so many things. Cryptic were not given 18 months by CBS or Atari. Cryptic were given the license/contract because THEY said they could do it in 18 months, thanks to their "rapid development" methedologies.
Well, you are right and wrong. CBS would not sell the IP to anyone who could not do it in 24 months or less, and the IP would have gone untaken, because CBS had some pretty serious, or so rumor says, restrictions in the contract. Mostly because they had been burned in the MMO field for almost 8 years.
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-16-2010, 09:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanCaptain View Post
It was like, my whole sig was made just for you!
OP reported for trolling, sig reported for trolling. This thread is full of win.
Though there must be some kind of priority on how the report thing goes, cause TheStreaker's been trolling since he got here, he's triolling in his sig too, AND cross posting etc, an they have yet to either close one of HIS threads OR ban him lol
Lt. Commander
# 16
02-16-2010, 09:38 AM
It would have been glorious.
Decent game wasted on an amazing IP.
Lt. Commander
# 17
02-16-2010, 09:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanCaptain View Post
Imagine!

Imagine a seemless forum, with your favorite web browser responding to your actual voice commands!

Imagine hotly contested topics, being debated like the British Parliament!

Imagine having interactive ICONS! That change shape when you hover your mouse over them!

Imagine Teamspeak being integrated into the whole forum experience!

Imagine beaming your thoughts to your computer screen and having it magically appear for every other forum goer, instantly!

Imagine real ascii characters, not this miniaturized garbage made up of bits stored into some unknown server!

Imagine taking your forum everywhere! The coffee shop, the local pub, the library!

Imagine meeting up with people on the boards! Not those usual trolls you find in any other forum!

Imagine relevant content posts! Real, actual, interesting posts!

Just imagine becuase you ain't going to find it here!
I'm sorry I think my universal translator is malfunctioning. The above passage was all I got.
Lt. Commander
# 18
02-16-2010, 09:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Battleunit View Post
Well, you are right and wrong. CBS would not sell the IP to anyone who could not do it in 24 months or less, and the IP would have gone untaken, because CBS had some pretty serious, or so rumor says, restrictions in the contract. Mostly because they had been burned in the MMO field for almost 8 years.
24 months is a lot more than 18 when it comes to QA and development. In fact, if this game had cooked for the full 24 I'm willing to bet a lot of the annoyances players complain about would of been sorted out.

However my point still stands unchallenged, it came out in 18 because of nobody or company other than Cryptic.
Lt. Commander
# 19
02-16-2010, 09:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasten View Post
Not to hijack this thread but...........ok I'm hijacking this thread but every time I read the term Nerd Rage I picture a dude foaming at the mouth with fogged up glasses shoving remotes up his arse.
For all we know, the people that get bent out of shape by things like what the OP has to say may just fit that image to a T... thank god that the internet doesn't let us see a live feed of the person on the other end of a posting.

I actually hate using the term nerd-rage, considering the fact I would have to apply it to myself, as I was several months ago jumping all over Cryptic's case for not making STO true to the ideals and themes of Star Trek. Sometimes, it's necessary to withdraw for a bit and look at the bigger picture, so one can come back with a fresh perspective. That is what I did. And so I defend Cryptic's reasons for making this game START the way it has. Now if, after a couple of years, we are still stuck with the same shallow approach to an MMO set in the Star Trek universe, whichb is loaded with endless possibilities, I will probably /nerdragequit. But we are just at the beginning. And there is a lot of room for Cryptic to work. And I see great potential for the game to grow into something that even the most died-in-the-wool Trek fan will consider to be, at the very least, acceptable... That group will never find any game to be ideal, as doing so would require the alienation of all other viewpoints but theirs which, and to reveal my true trek nerdom, would be a direct violation of the IDIC principle... Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combination...

All STO needs is time. I'm willing to give Cryptic that time.
Lt. Commander
# 20
02-16-2010, 09:45 AM
Oh look another one..............................