Go Back   Star Trek Online > Support > Gameplay Bug Reports
Login

Notices

Lt. Commander
Ok I'm pretty sure the mission is called Trapped. You get trapped in an artificial wormhole and hunted by the Hirogen. Once your in the wormhole space the FPS drops horribly.

For one thing, I think you guys at Cryptic already know that your engine doesn't work as well in a large open space environment. Especially one that needs a lot of effects and a very high res skybox. I think thats why space zones are 1 planet + moons instead of a whole solar system.

Anyways I think part of the problem is that theres a lot of modeled space that the player never sees. I tried to take a screenshot of the map but it was all corrupted so I made a quick map.

Basically all the area on the right side of the map is unussed. I guess they were going to make the mission longer but probably cut it back at some point. I don't know how good your engine is at occluding polygons, textures and effects but I'm guessing this unused area is part of the problem. I also think the ammount of effects in this zone is hurting things as well.

Here is the horrid map I made using my mouse.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y16/Fireflyx76/Map.jpg
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-16-2010, 11:03 AM
Unfortunately, there is another mission that takes you into a wormhole, this time the DS9 wormhole. Did setting your graphics down help with the FPS?
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-16-2010, 11:07 AM
I didn't try that because

1. It wasn't unplayably bad.

2. My system should be able to handle it and hasn't had a FPS problem in any other part of the game.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-16-2010, 11:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkmatterx76 View Post
I didn't try that because

1. It wasn't unplayably bad.

2. My system should be able to handle it and hasn't had a FPS problem in any other part of the game.
Ok, as long as you got through it. So yeah, there is the Bajoran wormhole quest later, which uses the same map, and that "useless" space you mocked up. Thats prolly what it is, they used the same map for both quests, which I will even admit, is pretty bad
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-16-2010, 11:16 AM
Its REALLY common to reuse assets in games. Although they go to far in this game due to the short ammount of development time.

One of the most obvious examples I've seen recently was the War Games ground portion when you've beamed onto the other ship. There is 1 hallway with a bend that has a hole into space that has a forcefield over it. They use that same hallway 3 or 4 times I think. Its only this noticable because of the same hole in the corner every time.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-16-2010, 11:37 AM
I didn't have any FPS issues in "Trapped".

Edit: I run the game in fullscreen-windowed mode and have everything set to 100/max with 2xAA.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-16-2010, 02:39 PM
What resolution do you play at / is your desktop set at?
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-16-2010, 07:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkmatterx76 View Post
What resolution do you play at / is your desktop set at?
1680x1050. I'm also usually watching an HD video (not a bluray disk) on my second monitor, too.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-16-2010, 08:46 PM
Whats your vid card? I should have asked that before. I'm using a... 4850x2 I think is the number for it. ATI/AMD.

I ask about your card more for its brand then the model. ATI cards have some issues with STO right now. My drivers are up to date but this might be part of the ATI thing.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-17-2010, 01:31 AM
Sapphire brand HD3870 512mb with an Accelero S1 Rev2.

Edit: Oh yea, dynamic lighting is off. Ground combat crashes and all.