Lt. Commander
# 11
02-16-2010, 10:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenBrillig
You know, the major ISPs spend millions of dollars every year trying to fight spam, without notable success.

Thinking Cryptic can fix the issue in a couple of weeks may be a tad optimistic.
Pro-tip:

if mail.text.tolower.contains("stogold")
redirect.to(/dev/null)
else
process.mail
end
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-16-2010, 11:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NinetyNine
Pro-tip:

if mail.text.tolower.contains("stogold")
redirect.to(/dev/null)
else
process.mail
end
Actual pro-tip:

Once you do that, they start sending mail referencing "s t o g o l d"

Additional pro-tip:

Changing domains costs them virtually nothing.

Final pro-tip:

Know something about your subject before making a fool of yourself.
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-16-2010, 11:03 AM
What really amazes me about the gold issue in STO is why anyone would actually see a need for it?

I'm a Captain 5, with a very loaded ship. I've never bought anything, and have 350k energy.

What do people actually use the gold/energy they buy for?
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-16-2010, 11:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chem
It's getting there, I agree. I mean we were told a few weeks ago that something was being developed but here we are, two patches later and nothing has been done about it.

Are you dense or are you an RMT employee trying to make sure those links stay advertised when the mods remove the links from the OP's post?
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-16-2010, 11:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenBrillig
Actual pro-tip:

Once you do that, they start sending mail referencing "s t o g o l d"

Additional pro-tip:

Changing domains costs them virtually nothing.

Final pro-tip:

Know something about your subject before making a fool of yourself.

Not totally sure how that nullifies my fix for stogold when they have done, literally, nothing to prevent that from coming through in my mail since headstart, but ok.

I could do a longer psudocode thing where you have scripts scan reported gold emails for unique words that only occur in gold spam emails, store those, then cross-reference that when checking if they should allow mail through, but meh, it was too much effort.
Lt. Commander
# 16
02-16-2010, 11:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sopwith_Snipe
Are you dense or are you an RMT employee trying to make sure those links stay advertised when the mods remove the links from the OP's post?
I am sorry but what are you talking about? No links have been removed from the OP's post. They are clearly still there. So I ask again, what the hell are you talking about?
Lt. Commander
# 17
02-16-2010, 11:12 AM
Quote:
I am sorry but what are you talking about? No links have been removed from the OP's post. They are clearly still there. So I ask again, what the hell are you talking about?
They did. Reload the first page.

That's how they're fixing the gold spam issue. By editing user posts. Out of sight, out of mind.
Lt. Commander
# 18
02-16-2010, 11:13 AM
doesn't matter what they put in to prevent gold farmers.. while i'm sure it will meet with limited success, they will always find a way through
Lt. Commander
# 19
02-16-2010, 11:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NinetyNine
They did. Reload the first page.

That's how they're fixing the gold spam issue. By editing user posts. Out of sight, out of mind.
No.. It was edited because it contained links to a gold selling website.
Lt. Commander
# 20
02-16-2010, 11:15 AM
Quote:
Look again the entire post was removed due to being spam. And your reply to the original post.