Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 11
02-16-2010, 01:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cipher_nemo View Post
Then may be i just misunderstood what you posted? The written, English word is not perfect.
You made that clear when you asked if he was sarcastic or not... but he didn't quite understand you, because he thought you were arguing. Where as you were actually restating your point because you were unsure of his actual stance.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 12
02-16-2010, 01:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDR_Mat
You made that clear when you asked if he was sarcastic or not... but he didn't quite understand you, because he thought you were arguing. Where as you were actually restating your point because you were unsure of his actual stance.
Thanks, that helped to restore my sanity. I was almost beginning to think I was losing it there for a minute, hehehe. Lots of weirdness in forums lately (other threads, not this one).
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 13
02-16-2010, 01:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cipher_nemo View Post
Thanks, that helped to restore my sanity. I was almost beginning to think I was losing it there for a minute, hehehe. Lots of weirdness in forums lately (other threads, not this one).
Agreed. Like the OP in this one.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 14
02-16-2010, 02:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDR_Mat
Agreed. Like the OP in this one.
No, you are.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 15
02-16-2010, 02:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDR_Mat
How cute. Someone took an argument class.

It's a good effort, but your description is to general. It also lacks the understanding that most things require team input from various departments.

You are right, there are times people make the mistake about priorities, but it is harder to discern that when we are talking about 1 entity where we have no clue how that entity is integrated. So if they tell us about A and nothing about B, then we must assume they are not working on B... why not? Make a team for B, or tell us it is next on the list, and so on.

Also, I'm afraid your example is taken out of context or just misunderstood. Maybe that was just the best example you could find.
thing is

if they say "we have a team working on B right now!" then in a weeks time and B hasnt been fixed the forums will be filled with "OMFG a WEEK and its STILL not fixed? CANT YOU PEOPLE CODE FFS"

they cant give us a detailed breakdown of how the code works, or whats gone wrong and why it may be taking a while to find, replicate and understand whats causing the problem so they can fix it, because giving away too much info about the inner workings of your code is opening yourself up to people working out how to exploit it, hack it or do other unpleasent things with it.

so all they could say after a week would be "well, we still got that team working on B, bear with us, it'll get done but it'll take a while" and that'd just make people even more angry... "we're being fobbed off, they dont know how or dont want to fix it, its all a scam"

so thats the problem.. dammed if they do, dammed if they dont.

there's also the fact that its a lot easier to finish something off and move on to something new than to drop it, do something else then come back to the first thing for many people. if a coder is already neck deep into a content update its probably best to let them finish it before moving them on to something that isnt affecting the majority of the playerbase (skirt glitches for example).
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 16
02-16-2010, 03:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shingi
they cant give us a detailed breakdown of how the code works, or whats gone wrong and why it may be taking a while to find, replicate and understand whats causing the problem so they can fix it, because giving away too much info about the inner workings of your code is opening yourself up to people working out how to exploit it, hack it or do other unpleasent things with it.
Security aside there's a PR reason for keeping details hidden away, too: Most people won't understand it. They'll argue about it and make themselves out to be armchair developers, but many won't understand it.

In other words: Too much detail is food for the trolls. And in their ignorance (or arrogance) they'll elicit concern and anger in others over the topic. It's best to simply keep quiet so their common drivel is easily chalked up to unfounded conspiracy theories.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 17
12-08-2010, 08:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenderTheRobot
I've played my fair number of MMOs, and I like to participate in the forums to get information, collaborate on tactics, and just generally expand on the game experience. You know, the reasons most of us are here.

There's a pattern I see come up rather frequently, though, on many game forums, which I find kind of annoying, to be honest. I call it the priorities fallacy.

Basically, a developer, or the patch notes, will state that a given feature is being worked on, or has been implemented. This is usually followed by a normal level of debate about the feature itself, which is great, but then there's always someone who invokes the priorities fallacy. It goes something like "why are they wasting time on A, when B is clearly so much more important!" where A and B are two very different things. I'll give you an example.



"Why is this a fallacy?" you may ask. Well, different people on game development teams are responsible for, and capable of, different things. The graphics programmer isn't going to (and probably can't) debug the networking code. The artist responsible for skirts isn't responsible for rebalancing weapons or fixing bugged missions.

So I hope this provides a little insight into why things sometims happen the way they do, and why this sort of complaint really makes no sense. In fact, any time you see someone make this errorneous argument, just link them here!
very interesting. i see that fallacy quite alot. Altho it doesn't annoy me atoll.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 18
12-08-2010, 08:38 AM
Rise. Rise! Rise from the Dead!!!
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 19
12-08-2010, 08:42 AM
Just to inject a little comic relief, this is Cryptic Studios lol:

http://www.hermanmiller.com/MarketFa..._cryptic_2.jpg
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 20
12-08-2010, 10:42 AM
-grabs pitchfork- Mob to me! We have a Necromancer to burn!
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:53 AM.