Lt. Commander
# 1 STO Around The Web
02-16-2010, 01:27 PM
More Star Trek Online interviews and articles are coming in every day. Check out all this new reading material.

Link to the news article.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-16-2010, 02:25 PM
This is what I call a realy awesome "around the web" with all the news about STO.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-16-2010, 02:31 PM
Thanks for the links, Rekhan! I really enjoyed the interview with Zinc, and also the TTH review. (I skimmed over the officer post, but saved it for reading later.)
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-16-2010, 02:51 PM
Thanks for the links, I found them most interesting
Lt. Commander
# 5 Thanks
02-16-2010, 05:02 PM
Nice links - and future prospects look good.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-16-2010, 05:17 PM
One of the more positive sets of reviews I've ready recently. I would say this is a bit more optimistic than I feel, and I think my sentiments are echo'd elsewhere through these threads and other reviews. Hopefully Cryptic doesn't drop the ball.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-16-2010, 05:25 PM
Thanks for the links.

I have to disagree on the Z axis/corkscrew upsetting people. From what I've found most people find what we have unrealistic, in that,.. If you are to pull up or push down in space there would be NO stopping when faced almost straight up or down. You could do end over end loops all day. Or fly up on a ship sideways -vs- level, on the same plain.

MANY games have mastered this many years ago. Space has no horizon, No up, No down. just spaaace.....

Personally I think real is the way to go with ST fans, as well as Space gaming fans. If some people don't like it,.. Give then a self level option like most other games do.

Other then reading him say that. I thought it was all good info. Good to finally see some info at all at this point.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-16-2010, 05:51 PM
I was happy with most of the stuff I read, except for one answer:

Quote:
ZAM: How does Cryptic intend to ensure that STO doesn't end up feeling too "linear" or "railed"? This is the Star Trek universe, after all; exploration is a major draw for 'Trek fans. Can you describe how exploration and diplomacy will be integrated with gameplay to help achieve an "open-ended" feeling to STO?

Zinkievich: One of our [tenets] is to always make sure that players have a choice in the directed gameplay in Star Trek Online. At any given time, the idea is to make sure that players have Episodes they can do, they can do PvP, they can dip into the exploration content and see what the Genesis systems has created. Whatever type of gameplay the player is interested in, it's there for you to try.
Letting players choose which aspect of directed game play they can participate in does not mean that the game play is open ended, nor that diplomacy and exploration are part of the game. I want more missions like "Suspect" where I have to make an actual choice at some point. I want actual exploration, not places that have already requested Federation help.

The genesis system, and exploration missions in general, need more content. I don't know how many times I've seen the "rock trees" planet. Yes, it's pretty, but it's not what every other uncharted planet should look like. Zinkievich mentions "unique exploration content" for the endgame. I hope it's not just a level restricted exploration cluster.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-16-2010, 07:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felderburg View Post
I was happy with most of the stuff I read, except for one answer:

Letting players choose which aspect of directed game play they can participate in does not mean that the game play is open ended, nor that diplomacy and exploration are part of the game. I want more missions like "Suspect" where I have to make an actual choice at some point. I want actual exploration, not places that have already requested Federation help.

The genesis system, and exploration missions in general, need more content. I don't know how many times I've seen the "rock trees" planet. Yes, it's pretty, but it's not what every other uncharted planet should look like. Zinkievich mentions "unique exploration content" for the endgame. I hope it's not just a level restricted exploration cluster.
I completely agree. If we were able to make choices, the game would be soooo much better, and I already love this game.
Lt. Commander
# 10 STO launched on Snow Leopard
02-17-2010, 02:47 PM
Hey Cryptic,

STO is the "bomb digity" of games in my mind. However, you know what would make it even better? STO running on Snow Leopard operating system for Mac! That is the news I am almost as excited to hear about, as hearing that the Launch date was this year!

Hope you can make this happen sometime soon.

Sincerely,
Alextar

P.S. Just in my mini survey of friends at college, over 1/3 use Mac. Not all are as eager as I to play a STO game, and thus find a PC to do so on. However, if STO was to move onto the Mac operating system of Snow Leopard...I might be able to get some to check it out.