Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > PvP Gameplay
Login

Lt. Commander
# 11
02-16-2010, 06:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sresk View Post
well then you're worthless to the community go troll else where
I am also not allowed to log into the server at this time.

DEM is useful with fast firing cannons, especially multiple turrets used with CRF

GW is situationally useful in revealng cloakers and interfering with the initial attack - I know it looks like crap, but it's a ranged ae snare whch can blow KDF attack runs and turn the initial battle.

Torpedo spread when used with plasma torpedos I've had good luck. With chronitons it can proc the chroniton snare on multiple targets - again, good vs kdf.
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-16-2010, 09:03 PM
If GW reveals cloakers then that's it's only real use. The "snare" portion is too weak to be useful. Buffing aux buffs the damage (which is pretty worthless no matter your aux level) but it doesn't buff the snare. Tyken's Rift is way better.

It also shares a timer with Tyken's Rift for some reason so there's no reason to have both.

Torp Spread with plasma for the DOT? Seems like a rather pathetic amount of damage, even if you hit 5 ships with it. Granted there aren't a lot of good choices for T1 Tactical powers (and why is that, anyway?)
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-16-2010, 09:07 PM
Energy Siphon can be very annoying, especially when combined with other things that drain power (Tykens, Target Subsystem).
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-16-2010, 09:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slamz
Granted there aren't a lot of good choices for T1 Tactical powers (and why is that, anyway?)
This is a symptom of cutting and pasting a PvE system onto a PvP system. For PvE you have to be careful not to make low level powers to powerful, but when it comes to PvP you need to have all powers have a value. The two needs contradict each other.
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-16-2010, 09:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Varrangian View Post
This is a symptom of cutting and pasting a PvE system onto a PvP system. For PvE you have to be careful not to make low level powers to powerful, but when it comes to PvP you need to have all powers have a value. The two needs contradict each other.
Even for PvE, in the end you have a ship with multiple tactical officers, each of which must choose a T1 power, and none of the T1 powers are that useful. Admirals are still trying to decide between an extra copy of High Yield Torpedo or some other crap Tactical power.

Whereas I have no problem finding T1 engineer or science abilities to use. Some of those are still perfectly good and useful in high levels.

(It would be nice if Tactical Team didn't share a timer with Engineer Team and Medical Team, by the way. Really kills the usefulness of it.)
Lt. Commander
# 16
02-16-2010, 09:26 PM
Quote:
Even for PvE, in the end you have a ship with multiple tactical officers, each of which must choose a T1 power, and none of the T1 powers are that useful. Admirals are still trying to decide between an extra copy of High Yield Torpedo or some other crap Tactical power.

Whereas I have no problem finding T1 engineer or science abilities to use. Some of those are still perfectly good and useful in high levels.

(It would be nice if Tactical Team didn't share a timer with Engineer Team and Medical Team, by the way. Really kills the usefulness of it.)
Again I think the reason for this is PvE. The PvE even at Admiral is easy enough that these useless tactical skills (read offensive) do some damage, but if the skill was overpowered it would destroy the NPC's at Lt.
Lt. Commander
# 17
02-16-2010, 09:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sresk View Post
Beam fire at will
Torpedo spread
Cannon Scatter volley
Dispersal Pattern X
EPtAux
Aux to batteries
Directed energy modulation (except for maybe DEM III)
Pretty much any lt level engineering skill that isn't Reverse or extend shield
Transfer shield strength
Any level of tractor beam beyond mk I (yes I love tractors beam I'm specced for it but has anyone else noticed that II and II are no better than I?)
Energy Siphon
Gravity well
Photonic Shock wave
A lot of these are great for PvE, such as all of the "spread" attacks vs. fighter swarms. People should just stop being retarded and using them in PvP. This game is like any other MMO: a great PvE spec will probably fail miserably in PvP, and vice versa.

(some others are admittedly gimp, like Boarding Party, etc)
Lt. Commander
# 18
02-16-2010, 09:42 PM
What does Boarding Party do, exactly, anyway? Like lowers systems by how much for how long?

I don't think it's a bad ability in the sense that I don't have problems getting them to land on someone. Just combine it with Tractor Beam or Tyken's Rift and drop them off right in the person's face.

But I've never been clear on what they're actually doing.
Lt. Commander
# 19
02-16-2010, 09:49 PM
Quote:
What does Boarding Party do, exactly, anyway? Like lowers systems by how much for how long?

I don't think it's a bad ability in the sense that I don't have problems getting them to land on someone. Just combine it with Tractor Beam or Tyken's Rift and drop them off right in the person's face.

But I've never been clear on what they're actually doing.
I played with it a little in Beta PvE and it dropped shields on the ships for a short period. Don't know if it still does that or not.
Lt. Commander
# 20
02-16-2010, 10:07 PM
I also always thought that should really be a tactical ability, not engineer.

I would think you would want to board the enemy ship with tactical red shirts and start blowing stuff up rather than send over engineers to fiddle with their systems.