Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > PvP Gameplay
Login

Lt. Commander
# 21
02-16-2010, 09:08 PM
Boarding Party is like sending a team onto the other ship to do damage to anything they can. I think it's fairly random what effects it does but they range from taking systems offline, like shields, to massively increasing timers on powers.

I got hit with it earlier tonight and my normal three second cannon timer was up to about 24 when I exploded. That was from just one or two shuttles of the three hitting me as well before I could target them and fire. I can't remember which fleet encounter it is but in open beta there was a fleet action where the NPCs were hitting players with them and the players were ending up with times in the minutes for power and weapon cycling. The downside is that they travel very slowly and are destroyed in one shot.
Lt. Commander
# 22
02-16-2010, 10:18 PM
Imagine little pirates that get into your systems, start pillaging your women and raping your churches, in the process spill a little grog on the consoles and short circuit them and take them offline. After they run into trouble and get bored, they decide to hijack the ship's teleporters and return to your ship, where they then celebrate with more grog and their phat lewtz.

At least, thats what I think of whenever I used to use it :p (cookie if you can figure out what I'm referencing)

in all seriousness though, its extremely subpar compared to stuff like VM or SNB in that they are a much more guarenteed shutdown.
Lt. Commander
# 23
02-16-2010, 10:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sresk View Post
There's all these threads about OP abilities and cry's for the nerf bat. Well I'm going to cry for the buff bat because when I see any of these powers being used by the other team I know my team is in great shape:

Beam fire at will
Torpedo spread
Cannon Scatter volley
Dispersal Pattern X
EPtAux
Aux to batteries
Directed energy modulation (except for maybe DEM III)
Pretty much any lt level engineering skill that isn't Reverse or extend shield
Transfer shield strength
Any level of tractor beam beyond mk I (yes I love tractors beam I'm specced for it but has anyone else noticed that II and II are no better than I?)
Energy Siphon
Gravity well
Photonic Shock wave

Are there any uber weak abilities out there I missed? Anything else you all see that make you smile because you know you're playing a noob? Anyone disagree with any of these? Can you tell me how you make use of what I consider to be subpar skills?
Dispersal pattern beta III is anything but weak. JUst ask those people wich end without shield and i drop 16 quantum mines in their faces.

Aux to batteries is very powerful, if you spec for aux powers.
Lt. Commander
# 24
02-16-2010, 11:26 PM
"Pretty much any lt level engineering skill that isn't Reverse or extend shield" is so full of fail I can't even begin to describe how wrong you are.
Lt. Commander
# 25
02-16-2010, 11:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lugh View Post
"Pretty much any lt level engineering skill that isn't Reverse or extend shield" is so full of fail I can't even begin to describe how wrong you are.
I hope you have at least 3-4 RSP and i meet you in battle, you will be a free kill then :-) Anyone who relies on RSP is fail, and he will eventualy found it out, the hard way. It may work on unorganized noobs, but its a fail agains good teams.
Lt. Commander
# 26
02-16-2010, 11:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalnar
I hope you have at least 3-4 RSP and i meet you in battle, you will be a free kill then :-) Anyone who relies on RSP is fail, and he will eventualy found it out, the hard way. It may work on unorganized noobs, but its a fail agains good teams.
You missed the point. And I agree with you. There are other abilities that are every bit as good if not better than RSP on a number of occasions.
Lt. Commander
# 27
02-16-2010, 11:58 PM
I take it you've never used Photonic Shockwave -

Because this inturrupts extends and stops any ability you have running as well with stunning your ship for a moment. This skill is win vs spider tanks.

PS is probably one of the most usefull skills in the game. Not counting that it will decloak enemies, stop them from running, take valuable time off thier high damage cooldowns. The uses are endless really. After the VM fix this will be the fotm for sure.

If you're going to list skills , know what they do. and DEM is quite good as well.

The only reason you can say X-fer shield str is weak is because of its range and the fact you need to load aux for it, generally most science ships are loading aux so it functions well for them.

If you've ever amped shield power with extend you see a major difference - almost twice the healing per pulse. The same can be said for Transfer Shield Strength, and they both share the same range.

Any good player knows if you don't want to get gibbed , you remain within 5km of cruisers and science ships. Well good players in cruisers and science ships :p

Za'Rex
Lt. Commander
# 28
02-17-2010, 12:15 AM
Extended shield is also 5km and you have to load shields for it (it scales with shield settings). So i think its actualy equally usefull.
Lt. Commander
# 29
02-17-2010, 07:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meat_Machine
I am also not allowed to log into the server at this time.

DEM is useful with fast firing cannons, especially multiple turrets used with CRF

GW is situationally useful in revealng cloakers and interfering with the initial attack - I know it looks like crap, but it's a ranged ae snare whch can blow KDF attack runs and turn the initial battle.

Torpedo spread when used with plasma torpedos I've had good luck. With chronitons it can proc the chroniton snare on multiple targets - again, good vs kdf.
Can you explain a bit more on DEM I've only ever used the MK I version. The effect was that my overall dmage dropped and sure the first salvo or two did a little extra bleed through but by the third salvo the shields where down anyways...

Good to know about GW but how does that make it better than Tykens? Would there ever be a reason to take this over tykens especially with the shared cool down?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wodan View Post
Energy Siphon can be very annoying, especially when combined with other things that drain power (Tykens, Target Subsystem).
Annoying does not equal effective

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lugh View Post
Let me clarrify on any ship besides a cruiser that will only ever have access to 1 lt eng ability. Sure if you;re a cruiser and also have access to multiple levels. But if you only ever get 1 Lt Boff eng ability please justify how you'd use any power other than one of those two?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zautin View Post
I take it you've never used Photonic Shockwave -

Because this inturrupts extends and stops any ability you have running as well with stunning your ship for a moment. This skill is win vs spider tanks.

PS is probably one of the most usefull skills in the game. Not counting that it will decloak enemies, stop them from running, take valuable time off thier high damage cooldowns. The uses are endless really. After the VM fix this will be the fotm for sure.
Its been a while since I've used PS so your telling me this is like a combo of tractor repulsors + CPB? how long is the stun?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zautin View Post
If you're going to list skills , know what they do. and DEM is quite good as well.

The only reason you can say X-fer shield str is weak is because of its range and the fact you need to load aux for it, generally most science ships are loading aux so it functions well for them.

If you've ever amped shield power with extend you see a major difference - almost twice the healing per pulse. The same can be said for Transfer Shield Strength, and they both share the same range.

Any good player knows if you don't want to get gibbed , you remain within 5km of cruisers and science ships. Well good players in cruisers and science ships :p

Za'Rex
No I say transfer shield is weak because it does significantly less healing than science team, it take times to do that healing and you can't attack while you're healing and to even be useful you have to amp aux. Extend shield is of course an amazing ability but transfer shield doesn't come close with or without amped aux
Lt. Commander
# 30
02-17-2010, 08:26 AM
Tach beam seems useless - at least I've never seen it do squat. I agree Photonic Shockwave can be useful.