Lt. Commander
sorry if in wrong spot, but it wouldn't let me post in any other section. looking to buy a laptop from best buy to play this game so please help me pick the cheapest one that i can get from best buy that meets or exceeds the recommended stats. my desktop is a p4 2.4gig with 1gig of ram and a ati 9550 video card. would that play sto?

thanks for any and all information
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-16-2010, 04:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feeboa
sorry if in wrong spot, but it wouldn't let me post in any other section. looking to buy a laptop from best buy to play this game so please help me pick the cheapest one that i can get from best buy that meets or exceeds the recommended stats. my desktop is a p4 2.4gig with 1gig of ram and a ati 9550 video card. would that play sto?

thanks for any and all information
Your desktop will play it, but at very very low settings. If you can get a dual core that fits your motherboard, and another GB of ram, you should be able to bump it up to medium settings.
Theres not too much more that can be done really to your desktop , as i suspect that GPU you have (which is prob an nvidia, not ati) runs on an AGP or PCI slot.

If your GPU was a pci-e card, then for around $150-200 i could easily find you a motherboard, ram and processor, (depending on your country), Which would probably be able to play STO on 3/4 settings. for around $300 i could get you the afore mentioned hardware, plus a good GPU. But then it would depend if you had a factory built system, such as dell, hp etc, as for soem reason they make their systems extremely hard to upgrade.

Anyway, It'd be cheaper than buying a laptop, which at sub $400 will give you the same performance you would have with your current desktop.[

But whatever you do, do not buy from bestbuy. Go to a website like www.newegg.com they are cheaper, more reliable and have people working for them who actually knopw things about computers.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-16-2010, 04:23 PM
well my mobo cannot support a dual core processor and i want a laptop anyways so im not stuck in any one room of the house to use it. so a dual core processor and at least 2 gigs of ram? what about a video card?

what about this one how will it perform?
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Gateway+...&skuId=9739334
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-16-2010, 04:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feeboa
well my mobo cannot support a dual core processor and i want a laptop anyways so im not stuck in any one room of the house to use it. so a dual core processor and at least 2 gigs of ram? what about a video card?

what about this one how will it perform?
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Gateway+...&skuId=9739334
Badly,as in very poor quality, and will probably be very jerky.

What you need to remember, is almost all laptops under a certain price range will not be suitable for gaming. You'd be able to play games like WoW or HL2, which run on old engines, thus requiring less power, but for modern high shader games, you would need a good desktop, or be willing to spend a lot on a laptop.

With laptops, unless you are extremely lucky, the golden rule is, if it seems to be too good to be true, it definitly is.

You'll see a lot of laptops with I3 cpu's, or I5 cpu's and 8 gb ram. People see those specs, and race to buy them. thats what the manufacturers count on. What people do not realize is that the graphics chip that comes with those laptops, are nothing short of terrible.

I'm sure, if you look on a few sites, you MIGHT find a good bargain, but almost all laptops advertised now, are as i said before Good CPU, Good Memory, terrible graphics chip, medium to high price.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-16-2010, 04:49 PM
"Cheap" and "Game" and "Laptop" do not belong in the same sentence unfortunately. You're looking at spending at least $699.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-16-2010, 04:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eihort View Post
"Cheap" and "Game" and "Laptop" do not belong in the same sentence unfortunately. You're looking at spending at least $699.
/nods. You can get a latop with a nice CPU and memory under that price, but the graphics card is going to suck.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-16-2010, 05:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedgp123 View Post
/nods. You can get a latop with a nice CPU and memory under that price, but the graphics card is going to suck.
But you'll have a built in webcam and mic! :p
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-16-2010, 05:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opaserv View Post
But you'll have a built in webcam and mic! :p

Careful now, you'll have the 40 year old guys pm'ing ya again

Seriously though, if you need a laptop for gaming, be prepared to spend a lot. It is very rae you will get one that can play a modern game in good detail at more than 20-25 fps
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-16-2010, 05:16 PM
Quote:

Careful now, you'll have the 40 year old guys pm'ing ya again

yeesh... I hate it when you're right

Quote:

Seriously though, if you need a laptop for gaming, be prepared to spend a lot. It is very rae you will get one that can play a modern game in good detail at more than 20-25 fps
MacBook Pro for the win!!!! *does a happy dance*
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-16-2010, 06:45 PM
Quote:

My Dell can do it, and it was less than $700. Studio 17, C2D 2ghz, 3gb, HD3650.

Edit for the OP:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834115674 will play the game.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834115727 will do it better.