Lt. Commander
# 11
02-16-2010, 06:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by usagizero View Post
Maybe because those ships look like ass? Seriously, they are not even close to as good looking as the ones in game.
Lol... Yeah, that's pretty blunt alright... Seriously though, after comparing the pics on the link to the ones Telaura posted, I agree that those ships don't look nearly as good as Telaura's... The ships on the link look kinda blocky and cartoon-y, whereas Telaura's ships have depth. They also have superb surface reflection adding to the realism. As for detail, I'm only LC2 right now flying the Connie Refit, and I have to give cryptic credit, that ship looks GOOD... I might point out that I am only running a single Nvidia 7950 GT right now, which really isn't even a half-step above the bare minimum card required for the game, and the ship still looks great, so I can't really see what you're wanting as far as detail goes...
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-16-2010, 07:01 PM
Wow, call yourselves Trek fans and have never heard of Excalibur? Sad...

Aside from the fact that people in this thread have actually been silly enough to call those ships ugly, you might want to take a look at some of the videos. The models were actually built off of the actual design blue prints from the series, not like in STO where the models were pretty much created from memory or screenshots >.>

Another nice detail is that the ships are all in *gasp* correct proportions to each other. I know, it's crazy not having a Defiant class ship tower over a Galaxy class in terms of size but you'll get used to it. I think I actually saw an episode of the show once where the Defiant was portrayed as a smaller ship. Nutty!
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-16-2010, 07:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anslem

Aside from the fact that people in this thread have actually been silly enough to call those ships ugly, you might want to take a look at some of the videos. The models were actually built off of the actual design blue prints from the series, not like in STO where the models were pretty much created from memory or screenshots >.>

Another nice detail is that the ships are all in *gasp* correct proportions to each other. I know, it's crazy not having a Defiant class ship tower over a Galaxy class in terms of size but you'll get used to it. I think I actually saw an episode of the show once where the Defiant was portrayed as a smaller ship. Nutty!
Last i checked my defiant was dwarfed by a galaxy, you got pics of the defiant dwarfing a galaxy?

My defiant variant apparently dwarfing a galaxy variant
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-16-2010, 07:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cormoran View Post
Last i checked my defiant was dwarfed by a galaxy, you got pics of the defiant dwarfing a galaxy?
True story.

Galaxy-class starship has a crew compliment of 1,014 (citation), while the Defiant-class starships have a crew compliment of 50 (citation).

Also,

Quote:
Originally Posted by William T. Riker in Star Trek: First Contact
Tough little ship.
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-16-2010, 07:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxx2504 View Post
Hi !

Sorry...what a joke...nice try...

Have you ever compared the Sovereign ingame to the real Sovereign in the ST films ?... I think not and thats not the only example...
Allright, this has gone on long enough - time for a reality check.

Last I heard, STO is a MMO. That means you are going to have multiiple ships onscreen all at once, possibly in the hundreds in PvP mishs.

The more detailed a model is, the more CPU/GPU power it takes to render each one.

Most of the pretty reders you see inthe movies and on various fansites were rendered on server farms using special graphics boards to do the calculations and render the graphics.

You are asking that a single computer with at most 3 GFX cards in it, to dothe same work as those server farms IN REALTIME.

Nope, Not gonna happen - your individual computer would have a meltdown if it tried.

The answer is to lessen the amount of details on each model, and make up for it as much as you can with texture maps. You can even see this in action, in renders of models that never had a physical counterpart, only a CGI. Proof? Talke a look over at DOug Drexler's site (he was one of the original people working onythe movies/TNG at ILM - you CAN'T get more authoritative than that). He still has the CGI models for some of the ships, including the Steamrunner - and you'd be suprised how coarse the Steamrunner looks from the original CGI.. Here's evan a link to it, so you can see for yourself:

Steamrunner CGI by Doug Drexler, Art Department, Star Trek

NOW do you see why some of the models in STO are coarse? THEY HAVE TO BE, to accomodate standard consumer-grade CPU/GPU combinations. While some of the models could be better, DON'T expect any in a MMO to be anything other than background-movie quality. It's a comptromise between image detail and what personal computers can handle in terms of multiple ships moving about in realtime. Remember that MOVIES are NOT rendered in realtime, but on farms that can take minutes to render a single frame.

So, asking for a lot of detail in a MMO model is idiotic fromt he start. Now, in terms of fixing the models they have...sure, some need work, but NOT from a texturing point of view, from what I've seen.

Not to mention tell the game you can handle higher-qualityu renders by moving the Quality slider up in Options/Video...be prepared to accept the price of more lag int he client though, depending on your hardware.
Lt. Commander
# 16
02-16-2010, 07:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anslem

Definat class is a REALLY POOR choice to talk about scaling problems, even in DS9 they couldn't get it right because there was no reliable reference for the size of the ship!

Here's an article from a well-respected Star Trek site that discuss this, along with other Defiant issues:

Article on Defiant-class irregularities

Perhaps you chould choose a better example, if even the SOURCE MATERIAL can't get it right...
Lt. Commander
# 17
02-16-2010, 08:03 PM
You know what guys? I agree with all of you. I agree with maxx in saying that the ships in Excalibur look pretty detailed. But I also agree with those of you that said that the ships on Excalibur didn't look very nice... I mean, they look [i]nice[i], but they also look... fake... Like plastic models. Not even models, actually. I just wouldn't believe them... Kinda when I look at Jar-Jar Binks in Episode I. He looks good, but also fake. Annoying too, but that's another subject. But I also agree with Telaura that at high resolution, the game looks VERY good. I'm starting to use them as wallpapers! Also, I like the fact that screenshots are taken without the interface, thank you Cryptic!

BUT I mostly agree with Callasan. It's a game. Worse than that, it's a MMO. So that means that it must be playable on most computers without slowing. To add as much details as maxx wants... Wouldn't work. Not enough people would play.

but hey! I agree with all of youse!!! Let's all be friends, 'kay?
Lt. Commander
# 18
02-16-2010, 08:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistoffeles View Post
Remember also that the average 19" monitor is still much higher resolution than the best 1080p TV...
Average 19" monitor = 1680x1050
1080p = 1920x1080

Your comment = FAIL
Lt. Commander
# 19
02-16-2010, 09:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxx2504 View Post
Hi !
Why the ships in STO dont look like this ?? Answer this question plz. Or whatever work with them together..maybe. We maybe get better ships then...

Thanks... Arkaan
I'm surprised no one has really answered this question. Want to know why the ships don't look like that? BECAUSE THEY'RE TWO DIFFERENT COMPANIES!!!!! Sheesh. It's like asking why doesn't Rebok shoes have a swoosh on them.

As far as which ships look better, that's all up to individual preferences. Whichever ones you think look good do, and whichever ones don't don't. For you. And yes, this comment goes out to everyone.
Lt. Commander
# 20
02-16-2010, 09:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamui View Post
As far as which ships look better, that's all up to individual preferences. Whichever ones you think look good do, and whichever ones don't don't. For you. And yes, this comment goes out to everyone.
This statement is incorrect. I am universally attractive to every other human being on the planet.

Cats hate me, though.