Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Star Trek Online General Discussion
Login

Lt. Commander
Are Security officers considered tactical (red shirt?) or engineering (gold shirt) in Star Trek Online?

It sounds as though they are tactical officers, although the security division is supposed to wear gold.

However, many of the engineering abilities seem more "security" related than engineering, especially beaming down phaser turrets, placing mines, etc. I can't see Geordi Laforge being in charge of massive ground weapons, but I can see Worf doing this job.

So which is it? Are security officers tactical or engineering?

P.S.

Lt. Paris is said to be Chief of Security aboard the U.S.S. Kirk. Anybody remember what color her uniform was?
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-16-2010, 05:26 PM
I believe it was gold. Security was always gold in TNG onward, but it was red in the original. Not sure why Cryptic went with red security officers...though it should technically be mandated that security be a certain career type.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-16-2010, 05:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorSTAFF
Are Security officers considered tactical (red shirt?) or engineering (gold shirt) in Star Trek Online?

It sounds as though they are tactical officers, although the security division is supposed to wear gold.

However, many of the engineering abilities seem more "security" related than engineering, especially beaming down phaser turrets, placing mines, etc. I can't see Geordi Laforge being in charge of massive ground weapons, but I can see Worf doing this job.

So which is it? Are security officers tactical or engineering?

P.S.

Lt. Paris is said to be Chief of Security aboard the U.S.S. Kirk. Anybody remember what color her uniform was?
Security officers can be both in Canon, red shirt or yellow shirt, although the lower end officers assigned to security are mostly red shirts. This is similar to navy practice that has a Master of Arms being someone who can fix arms as well as use them.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-16-2010, 05:28 PM
Technically they're part of Operations along with Engineering which is why they wear gold instead of red.
Lt. Commander
# 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorSTAFF
although the security division is supposed to wear gold.
Way to be stuck in TOS lol
Lt. Commander
# 6
Personally, for me, Chief of Security are Tactical Officers... that wear gold uniforms. I like to follow the TNG and onwards uniform colors. That's what I do with mine.

As for Miral Paris... she's wearing an odd colored uniform, not red nor gold, but orange or brown.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-16-2010, 05:55 PM
In TOS the head of security wasn't even mentioned except for the Mirror Universe episode, in which they made Sulu's uniform red. So as head of security, and since all "redshirts" seem to be security, then TOS would probably say they're red.

But then Scotty wore red. He was an Engineer... so then Security AND Engineer should have the same color.

Which was then paralleled in TNG when gold was the uniform for both Geordi and Worf. But then why did Worf wear red before Tasha died? Because he was the tactical officer. He went Gold when he took over Tasha's position... even though he served as both.

So therefore, Security officer and engineers both, in TOS and TNG, wear the same color. But they are two different positions. Since you asked "Security Officers", then they should in this timeframe be Gold.

BUT.. Tactical officers should be red.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-16-2010, 05:58 PM
If you're looking for an actual answer instead of inane rambling, in STO security are considered part of tactical.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-16-2010, 05:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shayde View Post
In TOS the head of security wasn't even mentioned except for the Mirror Universe episode, in which they made Sulu's uniform red. So as head of security, and since all "redshirts" seem to be security, then TOS would probably say they're red.

But then Scotty wore red. He was an Engineer... so then Security AND Engineer should have the same color.

Which was then paralleled in TNG when gold was the uniform for both Geordi and Worf. But then why did Worf wear red before Tasha died? Because he was the tactical officer. He went Gold when he took over Tasha's position... even though he served as both.

So therefore, Security officer and engineers both, in TOS and TNG, wear the same color. But they are two different positions. Since you asked "Security Officers", then they should in this timeframe be Gold.

BUT.. Tactical officers should be red.
But even the little no-name peons that worked for Worf wore gold.

And just what EXACTLY was Worf's job title prior to being promoted to Chief of Security?
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-16-2010, 06:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinmeister View Post
If you're looking for an actual answer instead of inane rambling, in STO security are considered part of tactical.
Hey, it's just not Star Trek without inane rambling...

In reference to Shayde's post: yes - in production TOS, Operations, Engineering and Security all shared the red uniform top.

If we go back to the pilots, Security actually wore blue, and Operations was beige. Command personnel wore a shade of yellowish-green, which photographed as gold under the studio lights at Desilu*. They even had hats in "The Cage" - very "Forbidden Planet"...

In the DS9 episode "Trials and Tribble-ations", the characters actually comment on the division color changes in Starfleet over time.

*also true of the production series, as well.