Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 11
02-16-2010, 06:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teelow View Post
Simple question, which is hurting STO more? Fanboi's that think Cryptic can do no wrong and STO is the best thing since sliced bread or Haters that think STO is the Anti Christ incarnate? I think both are equally responsible. Fire away...
Not sure why I would respond to this except to say you pretty much said it all right there. Both are bad. Both are noxious as you put it.

People who freak out on a troll rant and hate on STO take away some of the validity of people who actually give reasonable points as to why they dont like the game. Pretty soon everyone is bunched into one category. If you disagree with someone who likes the game you are a hater. A troll. Thats not necessarily the case.

People who just go nuts and just Looove Cryptic and STO just because Cryptic made a Star Trek game are a mirror of the Haters. They take away the validity of other people who have good reasons for liking the game. So anyone who must like STO is a fanboi and cant be taken seriously.

Both of these represent extremes that are not accurate on their views. They either like it TOO much or hate it a little too vigorously. Neither is to be taken seriously. And its these two extreme types of people that make all of us with balanced views on the game not able to be heard.

Because if I have a problem with STO all the fanbois will jump all over me, and if I like something about it or make a positive post all the haters chime in.

Its a mess. But I dont see it changing. Do these two extremes help STO? No. They both damage its reputation equally and take away from the intelligent reasonable conversations we COULD be having but arent.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 12
02-16-2010, 06:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delazure View Post
Fanbois are much more dangerous to STO than haters. Cryptic won't listen to haters since they basically ask Cryptic to remove the game from the market. On the other hand, they may listen to the fanbois who pretend that the game is perfect. If they do that, they'll never improve it.
well, i disagree, in so much as "fanbois" are pretty bloody obvious, and its easy to spot them and discount them.

the devs have ideas they want to push forward, new content, new ideas, new directions. keep in mind the creative director of cryptic is still one of the most hated men in the genre due to the enhancement diversification changes put into CoH, that the players overall hated but he stuck to his "vision" of the game..

whats more harmful to the community is people who deliberately bait and provoke reactionary comments. a lot of potential game players will check out the forums and all they'll see is hate post after hate post because these people bump their own posts shamelessly and often have several on the go at once.

so yeah, while fanbois could stunt future growth, haters hurt subs, and that sub money is what pays for the future content too.

polite, informed and rational conversation and debate that discusses the good and the bad points would be ideal.. it'll never happen mind, this is the internet, it runs on drama,
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 13
02-16-2010, 06:54 PM
This game has not had enough time to develop fanboys, except as an ad hom appellation created by trolls to end logical discussion and disposal of their claims. It will though, and then there will be no chance they will ruin the game since they won't be listened to anyway.

Trolls won't ruin the game, because they get /ignore quickly, and that takes them out of the running in game space as well as forum space, a wonderful design element. Fleets who share ignore lists can then create master ignore lists. Since trolls usually equal people who you would not like playing with anyway, their trolling serves a useful and Darwinistic purpose.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 14
02-16-2010, 07:00 PM
I don't know anyone who has quit the game because they read someone says it sucks and quit because of it.

I do know people have quit the game due to the fanbois creating an abusive environment.

Fanbois hurt subs.
"Haters" get people to think for themselves and help them decide if the game is for them through the comments, but nobody makes their mind up solely on "this game sucks" statements. If anything, it gets potential customers interested enough to want to find out more and make up their own mind.

Not being told what to like and how to like some by blind fanboism.

So fanbois are deffinitely more noxious for Cryptic in a business sense. However, they are also their biggest defenders/supporters, so it's a double edged sword.

It would do their business well to silence abusive fanbois in the long run.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 15
02-16-2010, 07:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Battleunit View Post
This game has not had enough time to develop fanboys, except as an ad hom appellation created by trolls to end logical discussion and disposal of their claims. It will though, and then there will be no chance they will ruin the game since they won't be listened to anyway.

Trolls won't ruin the game, because they get /ignore quickly, and that takes them out of the running in game space as well as forum space, a wonderful design element. Fleets who share ignore lists can then create master ignore lists. Since trolls usually equal people who you would not like playing with anyway, their trolling serves a useful and Darwinistic purpose.
Hahaha. Not long enough to develop fanbois? Im sure you dont realize, because you just joined the forums that fanbois have been here since nearly the beginning of the forums existence.

Long before the game came out.

They defend EVERYTHING Cryptic does, no matter what. They jump all over anyone who has a negative view of any aspect of the game or the company in order to defend their precious STO.

Its been going on for a looong time. Long time.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 16
02-16-2010, 07:12 PM
Fanboys give constructive criticism.

Haters give destructive "advice."

Therefore, Fanboys are more productive to raise the quality of STO gameplay.

Remember... it's not what you do (criticize), but the way that you do it.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 17
02-16-2010, 07:13 PM
"noxious"
hahaha
Also, for the love of god, you people look seriously stupid when using terms like "fanboi".
AOL called from 1991, they want their wacky internet lingo back.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 18
02-16-2010, 07:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStreaker
I don't know anyone who has quit the game because they read someone says it sucks and quit because of it.

I do know people have quit the game due to the fanbois creating an abusive environment.

Fanbois hurt subs.
"Haters" get people to think for themselves and help them decide if the game is for them through the comments, but nobody makes their mind up solely on "this game sucks" statements. If anything, it gets potential customers interested enough to want to find out more and make up their own mind.

Not being told what to like and how to like some by blind fanboism.

So fanbois are deffinitely more noxious for Cryptic in a business sense. However, they are also their biggest defenders/supporters, so it's a double edged sword.

It would do their business well to silence abusive fanbois in the long run.
whats scary is i bet you actually believe that too..

people leave the game because of the fanbois creating an abusive environment.... you do know half of them would seem far less "rabid" if not for people constantly ragging on them and winding them up right?

99% of the people i game with regularly in MMO's refuse to post or participate on this forum because of the insanity caused by people intentionally baiting people into arguments, rows and the sheer stupidity displayed by these "haters".. things like threatening to sue, calling out devs, claiming a business is evil for trying to earn a living...

50% of them wont touch this game at all because of how the community comes off on the forums.

the "fanbois" would be far less vocal and defensive if people were a little more rational and pleasant to begin with..

it takes two to tango, and for that they're both as bad as eachother, but it starts somewhere, and without people who openly admit they only come to the forums to wind others up making and bumping baiting posts they'd have nothing to bite
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 19
02-16-2010, 07:16 PM
The fanbois almost kept me from buying STO.

I know every game has flaws and not everyone agrees on what constitutes a flaw. I played WoW for two and a half years and I've seen enough Blizzard hate posts to take them with a grain of salt.
When I saw people with valid concerns about Cryptic and STO being shouted down by rabid "fans" I was afraid to even try STO. While it's not perfect, they did a lot of things "right" for me anyway. And if the keep up the momentum I'll be happy but I think damage has been done to the future of the game by both sides.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 20
02-16-2010, 07:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lithgow View Post
"noxious"
hahaha
Also, for the love of god, you people look seriously stupid when using terms like "fanboi".
AOL called from 1991, they want their wacky internet lingo back.
Sorry I used a word too hard for some to understand. I will be sure to use 2nd grade words like "bad" in the future.

Noxious - constituting a harmful influence on mind or behavior; especially : morally corrupting <noxious doctrines>
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:53 AM.