"a few hours a night" is not a casual gamer. I am talking about the masses that get 2+6 hours on weekends, while their week days are spent with jobs/kids/etc.
Oh yes it is! I deliberatly stopped playing which usually was an hour a day, on weekends of course longer. If I'd continue with this pace I'd be through the game in a week or so and there's nothing left to do except farming badges and aquiring items. That's not enough for me...
And I won't start another charakter as long as the skill system is the way it is.
Furthermore, it is my opinion that the skill cap must be destroyed!
I'm reluctant to weigh in on this issue, but I think maybe leveling should be slower. Especially after LT. I also agree with removing the Admiral tag. Captain should be fine for a title. After all, we're not sailing around with a fleet of ships behind us, are we?
What would really help, especially with less exp, is if the missions were better early on. I'm running into some pretty interesting missions now as a Commander which would have been welcome at the LT stages. To many people get the idea the game is just about killing because that's their first experiences in the STO world. Heck, I say build us up to the mass murdering missions! <LOL>
It's true. I think this game needed at least another year or two in development to add a suitable amount of content. That and variable content. Right now, there is one set of missions leading up to the endgame. No variation. I can't go down different trees. I can either do the quests or grind (and both are needed really to outfit your ships). It's aggravating to say the least.
This game was nowhere near ready for release. I'm glad I didn't get a lifetime subscription, because there's no way the content will last 16 months for me.
Maybe if the added a death penalty... just kidding!
Anyways, there are a few interresting missions (story wise) at the higher levels, but there aren't enough of them. Even if you do all unique quests and patrol missions, you still have to fill out with some exploration and sector defense.
This means that if you do everything there is to do, grinding aside, there isn't anything to do when you reach max level. Compare this to Everquest (the first one) where they have some 3000 items out of nearly 90000, that still haven't been discovered by players. While a whole of those are probably items that doesn't exist anymore or belong to bugged quests, it's still a whole lot of content that people still have to find.
In STO, there is basically too much surface fluff and too little depth. Though I think it will keep me occupied for a while... I'm happy as long as there are space ships and phasers.
I wholeheartedly agree with the OP and I noticed the same thing. I am now Rear Admiral 4 and at each rank Lt Cmdr, Cmdr, and Captain, I did 8-10 exploration missions to fully upgrade my ship with all the best gear. So it is not like I was rushing through the game, I did my part as a starfleet officer and explored.
What the game lacks, is the ability to really sink into your new role (ship etc.) every 10 grades. When you go out to fight/explore to get all good gear, by the time you are done, you are almost at the point of having to upgrade to a new ship. This is very stupid.
And you are still left with the missions to do, and guess what? On your next grade this will be worse and it gets worse every grade.
To add to my previous post. I believe regular mission running should only give 75% of your total xp for leveling up. That means you should go out and do defend missions and explore missions to make up the rest of the 25%, otherwise, doing anything other than the preset missions, "penalizes" you by out leveling yourself and making these preset missions easier.
A difficulty slider would be a good idea for people who don't think the game is easy, so that I can choose my own difficulty if I want it harder. (the current difficulty could be Easy, then there could be a Normal, and Hard above that).
I agree, the leveling speed is way too fast (for my likes).
I want to take my time, yet I find myself gaining points too fast. At the moment I try to compensate this by not logging on . Perhaps I should just hang around Sol, now if they had a real holodeck there where I could get some stories going for my toon...*wishful thinking*
I agree. As it stands now I still have stuff to do. But I figure I'll be done by next weekend. Then I'll be sad.
I think the problem with content is that Cryptic didn't want to make this another loot based MMO, but what they failed to realize is that without epic loot, there's really no reason to do anything at endgame.