Lt. Commander
# 21
02-17-2010, 02:31 AM
I'd like a separate difficulty slider that gimps skill points given.

By the way, how'd you outfit everyone with 10 exploration quests? I added up everything I needed for tier 4, and the total came out to around 2000 badges need when you combine away team gear with ship gear. This would mean at least 25 exploration missions are needed to fully outfit everything and everyone at every tier.
Lt. Commander
# 22
02-17-2010, 02:32 AM
Once they add in the 'toughness slider' I would like to see a 'No XP' Button added

Vanguard did this and you could toggle it on or off, thus running mission and not gaining any experience.

I suspect once more content is added the XP scale will drop a little, but as progression is so Linear there is little to do outside mission but grind
Lt. Commander
# 23
02-17-2010, 02:40 AM
From what I can tell it takes around 80-120 in-game hours to reach Admiral.

If you played 2 hours a day it would take around couple months..

If you played 16 hours a day it would take around a week.

I do think they should give you the option to turn off XP gain for those that want it. More choices are always better.
Lt. Commander
# 24
02-17-2010, 02:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asakara
From what I can tell it takes around 80-120 in-game hours to reach Admiral.

If you played 2 hours a day it would take around couple months..

If you played 16 hours a day it would take around a week.

I do think they should give you the option to turn off XP gain for those that want it. More choices are always better.

I agree with the op , 80-120 hours is not realistic if you're trying.

Leveling my Klingon to level 45 took less than 50 hours.

Leveling my Fed to 45 took less than that.

I'm not even halfway through the free month and have capped/gearcapped fed and klingon characters. ( Aside of the epics )

Za'Rex - 45 BG

Zautin - 45 RA
Lt. Commander
# 25
02-17-2010, 03:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyCore
Oh yes it is!
No it isn't. Someone who plays 2 hours a week is an occasional player who wouldn't progress in anything in a normal MMO. World of ******** is very casual friendly, with lots of quick quests, quick instances etc would struggle to provide any progress for a person who only played 2 hours a week.

MMOs are not normal video games.

My total playing hours have been as follows:
Hardcore (EQ) = 80 hours a week.
Hardcore (WOW) = 70 hours a week, raiding every night.
Normal (WOW) = 30-40 hours a week. 4 hours a night, most of Sat and Sunday (if i wasn't doing something)
Casual (WOW) = 20 hours. 2 hours a night, good chunk of Saturday, some on Sunday.

sorry but 2 hours a week isn't even playing the game - you'd be spending half the time travelling and might as well not bother playing at all. You are just wasting money.
Lt. Commander
# 26
02-17-2010, 03:04 AM
Playing every night, even for 2 hours isn't casual. Its regular play.

Casual is playing sporadically, for varied lengths.
Lt. Commander
# 27
02-17-2010, 03:16 AM
Ok I didn't read the whole thread. Sorry but meh...

Anyways I don't mind the fast progression. I don't know if any of you played Guild Wars but it was possible to get to max level (20) in just 2 days. Reason being that I don't mind is that it had A LOT of end game content. I'm thinking that maybe Cryptic may be trying to emulate this. I see a ton of end game content coming out over the next couple of years. So while you might not like it now...you may end up being thankful for it later on...if of course you stick around long enough.
Lt. Commander
# 28
02-17-2010, 03:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by galenwolf View Post
No it isn't. Someone who plays 2 hours a week is an occasional player who wouldn't progress in anything in a normal MMO. World of ******** is very casual friendly, with lots of quick quests, quick instances etc would struggle to provide any progress for a person who only played 2 hours a week.
Agreed. The initial design philosophy at WoW release was that max level should take 20-25 played (note "played" ie the amount of actual in game time) days to reach. I think I took around 18-19, a friend of mine who was faster did it in 16.
In STO I'm currently lvl 40 and I have less than 4 days played.

5 hours a week can be casual. 2 hours a week when you pay a monthly fee sounds like a little bit of wasted money.
Lt. Commander
# 29
02-17-2010, 04:18 AM
For once I agree with Lindsey, The levelling in this game is a total joke.

80 hours to reach Admiral 5 on the federation was an outright lie, I think I've got to Admiral 3 in roughly 45 - 50 hours of game play time of actually doing quests ect. The rest of the time I've been on i've just been making money for my fleet bank lol.

No seriously the XP has to be lowered proper missions slapped in and a hell of a lot more content thrown in, The grades are completely wrong too should have gone with something like these :

Ensign
Lt jnr Grade
LT
LT cmdr
Cmdr
Captain
/ Fleet Captain
Well something along those lines, I don't like the fact that I'm an Admiral it's disgusting and wrong and just a butchering of the IP.

I'd also agree with Lindsey that Ranks shouldn't be 10 Grades as they are now, well if the XP was lowered and effectively made it so that it took 160hours or 200 hours to reach max rank that would have been much better for the future of the game.

As it stands I think the lifetime sub was a bad decision on my part because I wanted to have faith in the game but I just don't any more, I think that Cryptic's way of handling the forums are the worst part. Where the hell are the community reps buzzing around the forums on a daily basis it's not like they have to do anything else it's their job to be here assuring us subscribers that we aren't being totally shafted and at least look like Cryptic are taking our ideas on board or at least considering some of them.

It really does seem that they way this game was put out that it's a quick buck, I hope to god i'm wrong and that I eat those words because I really would like to but right now I'm not seeing the future potential at the moment with the way things are heading
Lt. Commander
# 30
02-17-2010, 04:28 AM
The simple fact here isn't that the players are leveling too fast or not. It is that the Devs created only a few missions per level. Because of this the amount of exp needed to level is divided between those few Patrols and Episodes. That number seems to stay constant as we rank up to Admiral.

So unless the Devs are going to release a heck of a lot of content to spread out our level progression. Which would be time sinks in nothing more then having us wade through more content to get the same exp we were getting before. Or they will force us to endlessly do repeatable content such as Exportation/Defense/PVP missions.

The first option takes a lot of work on the developers part. Work I seriously doubt they will be doing in the near future, as they are working on bug fixes and the end game content. Simply put the second option isn't fun for anyone. If a player was going to do those type of repeatable missions they will. Once they are forced into doing they just to get to the next stage of they game they will most likely not renew they subscription when it expires.