Lt. Commander
I'm doing a short and sweet video series of all sorts of Tutorials for STO. Later, I hope to also include shorts on my favorite missions and episodes. Please feel free to comment or list any questions or future tutorials you'd like to see. They'll get better as we go; I promise!

Tutorial I - Character Creation

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Ydhde7Fqc0

Tutorial II - Ground Basic Controls / UI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Jz1nIZH-cw

Tutorial III - Ground Combat Basics / UI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GX6N5...layer_embedded

Tutorial IV - Space Basics / UI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_qFs_MkQ_0

Tutorial V - Sector Space
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahH1GHTaz3o

Coming Soon...
Space Combat Tutorial
Bridge Officers
Starbase Tours
Favorite Missions/Episodes
Crystaline Entity
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-17-2010, 02:45 AM
Instead of the obvious like how to make a character..... how about things that are asked for constantly ingame , BO's etc?
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-17-2010, 03:37 AM
Howabout paying him if you want to tell him what he can and can not do in his free time? Just sayin's all.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-17-2010, 03:45 AM
Hi Troll , he asked and i answered. I dont need the info but its asked all the time ingame so would be a obvious choice yes?
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-17-2010, 04:39 AM
Ahh, I missed where he asked for suggestions. I stand corrected. However, before calling someone a troll you really should check their post history. Trolls aren't as loqacious as I am.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-17-2010, 04:45 AM
A good return post then a troll comment lol , what i also mean about tutorials etc , there are a ton of how to make a character , none for BO's , be nice if we could call up the viewscreen while on the bridge and it pops up some video tutorials by the devs.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-17-2010, 04:48 AM
How about being more polite. The OP doesn't have do anything but chooses to do so in their spare time.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-17-2010, 04:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by smc4175 View Post
How about being more polite. The OP doesn't have do anything but chooses to do so in their spare time.
Indeed and thats what i was trying to do till someone tried to spice it up , he has asked for ideas , i gave him a idea , for as ingame how often do we see questions on BO's? or even Sulu for that matter!

So:

BO's how to
and
How to find Sulu
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-17-2010, 05:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fewzz View Post
Indeed and thats what i was trying to do till someone tried to spice it up , he has asked for ideas , i gave him a idea , for as ingame how often do we see questions on BO's? or even Sulu for that matter!

So:

BO's how to
and
How to find Sulu
On the assumption here that the problem is a mere lack of tact (the ability to apply consideration to one's phrasing so as to avoid giving offense), I'm going to go ahead and help you out by chiming in that you have a solid suggestion, but aren't getting your point across in a civil manner.

So I'll clean it up for you (or, rather, I'll springboard off it and launch into a similar suggestion, to be more accurate).

While doing video tutorials is a great thing, I think (directed now to the OP) that you should avoid doing ones on things that are simplistic or easy to figure out. Movement is covered rapidly in the tutorial mission, for example, and if you don't make it past that you're pretty well sunk in the game. And to make it that far, you have to go through basic character creation. So, those are two things that we can hope most players will be able to handle (including the basics of ground and ship-to-ship combat).

If you're going to cover those areas, you should perhaps shift from doing a 'tutorial', to perhaps a 'Beginner's Guide' thing that includes helpful tips for players that they may not initially consider, and focus on things like basic strategy and tactics for ground combat.

In the tutorial area, you could probably do Starbase Tours of various places (Earth Stardock, K7, and Memory Alpha come to mind) that explain what each facility is set up to do, shows where important NPCs are and discusses their functions, and tries to be as informative to new players as possible. For example, a general tour of the basics of Earth Stardock (where to spend Exploration medals, where hard to find NPCs are, what each section in the hub is for and a brief intro to those sections) would probably help out a lot of people.

Or something to that effect. I'm exhausted and not thinking as clearly as I normally do.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-17-2010, 07:14 AM
I think that no matter what the content of the video tutorials, they are a great idea! People who haven't even heard of the game may see the character creation video and think 'hey that looks cool, I want to play that'.

You should see if you can get this post stickied and add new links to the first post.