Lt. Commander
# 1 Tricobalt torpedo launcher
02-16-2010, 10:20 PM
For those of you who bought this rather useless piece of equipment and have now found it just sitting in your bank or inventory I have come up with a fun use for it.

Go to DS9
Buy a Runabout
Fit to Runabout
Go play with the borg

Its not a great plan but it is pretty entertaining for a while until we get some more endgame content.

You can also replace the beam weapon and shields on the runabout so you can play properly.

Imagine a fleet of 50 runabouts with tricobalt torpedo launchers. Thats what i call burst damage.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-17-2010, 06:25 AM
I wouldn't call this useless. I just got one today and have been experimenting with different configurations on my Deep Space Science vessel.

I've settled on a pair of Mk X Phaser beams and a Mk X Quantum Torp on the front. On the back is a single Mk X phaser beam, a Mk X Quantum, and the Mk X Tricobalt Launcher. Charge in, forward beams firing, pop High Yield II, fire quantums and immediately turn. By the time the Tricobalt torps in the rear are able to fire, shields are usually down. Fire the tricobalt and boom, dead or seriously damaged ship in about 10-15 seconds. If that doesn't blow the ship up, follow up with rear quantums.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-17-2010, 06:46 AM
I am doing the same thing with Polaron Beams and Quantum Torps.
I hope they allow us to respec our points soon....I sorta would like to use Antiproton beams and Transphasic torps...guess that certain weapons will sit in the bank until then.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-17-2010, 11:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by firesyde
I wouldn't call this useless. I just got one today and have been experimenting with different configurations on my Deep Space Science vessel.
I believe he is saying that it is useless because you "can't" skill up on the device because of the skill cap... so why use it?

However, the runabout is ftw... and I would like a delta flyer... that'd be great too.

I will equip my runabout with only dual X energy weapons and go to deep space missions... it's crazy fun. Especially with a friend or two.. if you want, add me as a friend and we'll go do it! ha!
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-17-2010, 11:37 AM
I also plan on doing this with my Connie... MK X everything and go for some Borg... should be enjoyable.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-17-2010, 01:45 PM
I bought the Hvy Tricobolt launcher, lists as 12k dmg, and am really disappointed in it.

First, it has a 60 second cooldown.
Second, it is not affected by HY or Spread Torp BOff abilities.

It just launches a big, hard-hitting torp every minute.

I can do a LOT more dmg with Mk X high crit quants at HYTorp III in the same 60 seconds. Huge waste of my badges, IMHO.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-17-2010, 02:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by macallen View Post
I bought the Hvy Tricobolt launcher, lists as 12k dmg, and am really disappointed in it.

I can do a LOT more dmg with Mk X high crit quants at HYTorp III in the same 60 seconds. Huge waste of my badges, IMHO.
Sure you can but not in the 5 seconds that torpedoes will actually be used per fight
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-17-2010, 02:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by macallen View Post

Tricobalt isn't intended to be used as your primary launcher.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-17-2010, 04:01 PM
actually, cruisers should fir 2 of theses. as a good cruiser does not have hy anyway, he can instead fire a 17k torp that will do 27k due to attack pattern beta..... and 30k due to tactical team...

If you are science you got it easy: vm, tri cobalt. boom.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-17-2010, 05:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Korhil
Thats what i call burst damage.
I call it a bomber wing.