Lt. Commander
# 1 Winning as feds in T1
02-16-2010, 11:29 PM
I'm starting a project - which is to find a way to consistently win in T1 as feds.

I've put a lot of effort into tactics and strategy as a KDF, however with all of the new feds and the skill gap - it seems like there really needs to be a howto for fed ships complete with build and boff skills to really raise the challenge bar for our newbie KDF.

That being said, this is the build I am currently testing :

Alien Engineer
Traits:
Efficient
Warp Theorist
Perceptive
Telepathic
Acute Senses

Weapons:
Phaser dual heavy cannon II
Photon Torp II
Rear : Phaser turret II

Consoles:
RCS Accel (+turn)
Phaser relay
+sensor (probes?) sci

+sensors/+emitter deflector dish

Boffs:
Torp Spread
Eng Team
Hazard Emitters

General thoughts :

- Don't spend more than level 7 on any skill, to avoid dim returns on skills
- raise ops, warp core, engineering, projectile, energy weapons, command and remaining points in sci team leader
- find engine with best turn rate, other factors are secondary
- covariant or paratrinic shield. rely on weapon batts or sci team teammates for shield boost
- most combat will be done with settings at 100/50/25/25, with settings to 25/50/25/100 when not in active combat

Method of engagement -

Group up feds, get them to follow me to cover - meaning to find a spot with limited approaches. This forces KDF into predictable movement. with limited approaches, kdf also has limited egress and maneuverability is reduced.

When focused fired, rely on evasion for defense, while teammates bear down on target. teammates can use 'attack on assist' to heal target's target.

--

Summary thus far :

WIth just the guidance and leadership, a little assist and healing I've seen a > 1:1 kill ratio with feds. I believe that the fed hull bonus can be leveraged to a big advantage (which is why my build relies on hull healing) .

Games where I have not coordinated combat have ended 15-2 favor kdf consistently.

Limiting the KDF movement significantly impacts their ability to strike from unpredictable angles, which can be manipulated further with the use of mines to force them into attacking from > 5km

switching from beams to cannons on miranda raises miranda dps enough to kill fleeing kdf. bop lacks hull to take cannon to hull and survive. Miranda turnrate disadvantage must be overcome with clever maneuver, evasive and improved turnrate engines and ship mods.

torp spread seems to have situational merit over HY torp in close-in fighting with multiple tangos.

selected boffs for + passive detection traits. unsure of these traits are affecting space, but suspect they may.

uncertain if player +stealth sight is space. working on putting together captive tests

considerations :

Tractor beam might be a better choice than hazard emitters. Tractor is both offensive and defensive for feds.

need to figure out doctrine for 'sub hunting' kdf who remain cloaked and refuse to attack.

more to come
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-16-2010, 11:43 PM
What i found out when doing premade T1 as fed was that engineering team was real nice, and even Science team I

we did

Emergency power to shields I
Engineering Team I
Science Team I

multiple that by 5

= win in T1 as Feds.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-16-2010, 11:44 PM
HE over sci team even though sci team > HE because sci team and eng team share a cooldown =(
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-16-2010, 11:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodlance View Post
What i found out when doing premade T1 as fed was that engineering team was real nice, and even Science team I

we did

Emergency power to shields I
Engineering Team I
Science Team I

multiple that by 5

= win in T1 as Feds.
So on your T1 fed ship you managed to have a science officer and 2 Engineers?

Can you explain this trick to me?
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-16-2010, 11:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inquizitor View Post

mmm sorry high yeald just woke up

mixed a bit, we started a premade last night , 2nd Klink char in T1

like over 3000 T5 Badges and nothing to buy so had to make alts :/
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-17-2010, 02:11 AM
thinking possibly have a second sci officer in reserve with tractor, maybe. tractor would be much more useful if I was using turrets; but no crf until tier 2
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-17-2010, 02:45 AM
Ive used a Miranda with Hvy cannon/Torp/turret and Tractor/EPtS/HYT and been pretty successful... With clever use of evasive to manouvre, I won more games by far... Without doing anything but stick with the random PUG.

Sure I lost a few, and obviously the Klingons have the advantage, but it is not unsurmountable odds
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-17-2010, 03:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inquizitor View Post

The gamestop preorder Connie ship has 2 engie slots
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-18-2010, 11:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlee95 View Post
The gamestop preorder Connie ship has 2 engie slots
Doesn't that ship have an improved turnrate too?
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-18-2010, 11:38 AM
I found that in T1, high yield torpedo, eng team 1, and hazard emmiters was a must.

Also I have seen a 1:1 ratio in wins to loss when leading. 80% of the time my group was rarely following orders compared to 25% of the time on KDF side. Cloak may be the reason.