Lt. Commander
# 1 The BIGGEST problem with PvP
02-17-2010, 03:30 PM
The BIGGEST (but not the only) problem with PvP is the queuing system. The way (I think) it works now is when it is your turn in a queue a spot in the arena instance is held for you for 60 seconds. The problem is that you get a spot held for you in the other queues you are waiting in, even if you are already in a PvP instance. This is what is leading to lopsided teams and 1 person having to fend off 5 for minutes while they wait for other people to join their team.

So what happens is you Queue yourself up 3 matches and wait of the first one to pop. When the first one pop's you accept it and go into a PvP instance. Then, while you are in the first instance, your spots in the other two queues will become available and your spot will be held for 60 seconds before it is given to someone else. So, if you and the next couple of guys in line are already in a PvP instance, then that team is going to be waiting for minutes before someone can join them AND it is making your first queue take much longer to pop because you have to wait for those other players to timeout.

This could (and hopefully will) be easily fixed by 2 different methods. In fact, I think that both methods should be implemented.

1) When you join a PvP instance, you should be removed from any other PvP queues you are also in. This would really speed up the wait time on the queues and it would virtually eliminate the 1v5 phenomenon.

2) Instead of a guaranteed spot in an PvP instance for 60 seconds, you should only be given 10 seconds (or 15 or 20 or whatever) to join. This would really speed up the action, because you won't have to wait a minute for the other 5 people on your team to trickle into the instance.

(The wait times seem to be more of a problem Feds, while the 1v5 phenomenon seems to be more of a problem for Kling's)
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-17-2010, 03:35 PM
I agree. Fixing the queue system so that it evenly populates both teams (and auto-teams them) would solve several problems at once:
  1. Speeds up queues and turnover rate.
  2. Eliminates possibility of spawn camping.
  3. Removes the necessity of having to form team manually.

However, a mechanism would need to be implemented to ensure that the same players do not end up hogging the queues all night: a hidden FIFO (First In, First Out) priority based counter that ensures it is a true queue.

Using a simple number priority counter (number based on your position in the overall queue) eliminates the need for any messy timers.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-17-2010, 04:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_Dravis
However, a mechanism would need to be implemented to ensure that the same players do not end up hogging the queues all night: a hidden FIFO (First In, First Out) priority based counter that ensures it is a true queue.

Using a simple number priority counter (number based on your position in the overall queue) eliminates the need for any messy timers.
That is a possible problem, but to be honest, I think it would take care of itself. I almost always have my other queue spots come available while I am in the first instance I accept. So I think that if that where going to become a problem, it would already be one. But then again, I could be wrong about that, so your idea is totally plausible.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-17-2010, 04:45 PM
the issue I see most is that you spawn right after accepting not after both teams all accept. So often one person spawns while others are deciding what to accept, getting something to drink, or who knows what so some poor soul is sent into the arena alone to preyed upon. I have been on both sides of this and it aint fun either way. It can also be a serious issue for feds who stagger spawn and never get to form up at all. Maybe we should move to a waiting screen while teams are assembled, then spawn simultaneously.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-17-2010, 04:50 PM
Allow us to only dedicate to one Q at a time.

Or ya click join pvp and it puts ya where your needed.

Or fix Klingon side so we have even members.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-17-2010, 06:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sqwibbs View Post
2) Instead of a guaranteed spot in an PvP instance for 60 seconds, you should only be given 10 seconds (or 15 or 20 or whatever) to join. This would really speed up the action, because you won't have to wait a minute for the other 5 people on your team to trickle into the instance.
It would probably take more coding then they'd like to do, but it'd be nice if there was like a 15 second window to join a match, but also have the 60 second timer still there so if you missed the 15 second(afk, tabbed out, not looking at screen, ect.). If you still responded within 60 seconds it'd keep you in the queue for the next match, rather then having to requeue at the end of it.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-18-2010, 10:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denron View Post
If you still responded within 60 seconds it'd keep you in the queue for the next match, rather then having to requeue at the end of it.
That is a very good idea.

In addition to commenting on Denron's good idea, I also noticed several threads complaining about 1v5 play etc on the first few pages so I decided to bump this thread in hopes that the Dev's might see it.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-18-2010, 10:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sqwibbs View Post
Why not leave it at 60 seconds, but don't actually launch the instance (or zone in the players) until a full team's worth of players on each side have clicked accept? It would take a little longer to start each game, but I think the end results would be a lot more full, balanced games that are fun from the beginning.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-18-2010, 11:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genosaurer View Post
Why not leave it at 60 seconds, but don't actually launch the instance (or zone in the players) until a full team's worth of players on each side have clicked accept? It would take a little longer to start each game, but I think the end results would be a lot more full, balanced games that are fun from the beginning.
I think that, after FedVsFed is released, if we implement my suggestions the wait time for a queue to pop is going to be so short that a 60 second timer is not going to be needed. The only reason we need them now is because, as Fed, when you queue yourself up it can take 10-15 minutes for a queue to pop. If your first queue pop'ed within a minute or two of queuing up, you won't need a 60 second timer because you wouldn't queue yourself up and then go to the bathroom/kitchen to kill some time.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-18-2010, 12:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojokujo
Allow us to only dedicate to one Q at a time.

Or ya click join pvp and it puts ya where your needed.

Or fix Klingon side so we have even members.
3 queues is fine, but once you accept one, you should be dropped from the other queues. However, a button for random PVP that joins the first available match also sounds pretty good.

I like the OPs ideas. Sound good to me.