Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > PvP Gameplay
Login

Lt. Commander
# 21
02-17-2010, 01:33 PM
Every one likes to win. It makes you feel good. However I would much rather have to work and barely win or lose. Some of my most enjoyable games have been losses of 10ish/15. And as the system stands now reward differences between winning/losing don't warrant being hyper competitive.
Lt. Commander
# 22
02-17-2010, 03:51 PM
Why bother playing the game if you aren't playing to win? Every moment.

I joined a t1 fed game yesterday and it was myself and another fed vs 3 kdf with two more inbound.

The only other fed in the game full-impulsed to the center of the map and got jumped by 3 kdf. I invited him to team.

I hung back, and they all attacked him so I came in for the kill, locked onto a kdf and let cannons fly, and launched spread torps - meanwhile dropping hazard emitters and eng team on the fed they are killing. The KDF smell blood, and stay on target.

The KDF that I attacked tried to run, and got popped by a chasing torp, now it was 2 vs 2, and one kdf almost dead. I turn on that one and my teammate dies just as this kdf dies. The last kdf and I are going at it, and two more kdf show up. They get me down to almost dead, and the kdf I am after is almost dead too. With my last move, I fly 'in front' of the KDF I am fighting so that when I blow up, he's trying to avoid being on top of me, fails and gets blown up by my death.

2-3, our favor. 3 feds in the game and 5 kdf.

3 new feds come in, and start rushing into the middle full impulse and dying one after the other. I invite them one by one, and start barking orders. "Follow me" "Target me, attack my target"

We're down 9-3 now, but we are attacked again and drive the KDF off, and they lose 2 ships and we lose 2 who give chase. 11-5 now.

a couple kdf fly in unassasted attempting to get an easy kill on a guy I left with a little hull damage. 1 more kdf, death and then a massive dogfight with 4 kdf and 5 feds. They take out one guy fast, and the second guy almost as fast. 13-11 now.

Now the kdf are hanging back. We're killing them faster than they are killing us. They launch from stealth on me, but I heal myself and break LOS using the rocks. They lose 1 and withdraw. 13-12.

Now we wait. I crank up my aux to max, and I detect two of them at edge of firing range brieflly but can't exploit it. I see them incoming but can't type to warn, I use attack on assist to drop sci team on my teammate who is getting swarmed but he dies fast. I call out for team to assist me, as they are on different targets and they do - and one kdf goes down, and then another fed and match is over... 15-13.

It was enjoyable, exciting and challenging. A GG, and one I'm glad to have played. What more is there?
Lt. Commander
# 23
02-17-2010, 03:54 PM
If I wanted to grind then I would play a Korean MMO. I play PvP in STO because I like the tactics, I like the fairly unique gameplay it provides and I think it's fun.
Lt. Commander
# 24
02-17-2010, 04:59 PM
Tbh, the Op asked a question I have been asking myself all evening

It's the first time I have given the STO PvP a go and a part from the rather silly amount of skill points I seem to be awarded for getting killed 5 times I can't see the point of it.

It always seems to be a case of winning 15-1 or losing 1-15.

After a while I just thought, what the hell, lets get killed and take the skill points, nothing else too lose.

I have a lifetime sub with LOTRO and I never thought I'd see a new game released which had worse PvP than it, but STO seems to have managed it. Which is a shame, cause I'm a hugh Star Trek fan.

maybe it will improve,but I don't think it will be fast enough, I can see STO going the way of *** and Warhammer

Wee shall see though
Lt. Commander
# 25
02-17-2010, 06:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abalister
Tbh, the Op asked a question I have been asking myself all evening

It's the first time I have given the STO PvP a go and a part from the rather silly amount of skill points I seem to be awarded for getting killed 5 times I can't see the point of it.

It always seems to be a case of winning 15-1 or losing 1-15.

After a while I just thought, what the hell, lets get killed and take the skill points, nothing else too lose.

I have a lifetime sub with LOTRO and I never thought I'd see a new game released which had worse PvP than it, but STO seems to have managed it. Which is a shame, cause I'm a hugh Star Trek fan.

maybe it will improve,but I don't think it will be fast enough, I can see STO going the way of *** and Warhammer

Wee shall see though
I don't know about you, but I play to enjoy the gameplay, not to increase numbers on some far off server. That's why I have fun with the PvP right now. There's loads of ways they can make it more fun and meaningful but this isn't like farming metal or something, it's actually fun to do.
Lt. Commander
# 26
02-17-2010, 06:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by God-Emperor
Huh. Last I checked, if you downed the first two bosses in a pve raid but died to the third repeatedly and then gave up, you still got rewards.
That's two successes and one failure, then. You get rewarded for the successes but you get nothing for the failure.

If you really wanted to do STO properly, it should probably be rewarding us per kill with an anti-abuse mechanism like Planetside used.

As it stands, though, you seem to get full reward for defeat. In fact, if you are a support class in STO and do a lot of healing and buffing and curing and your team wins, you will get LESS reward than a major damage dealer on the LOSING TEAM.

They really overdid rewarding the losers.
Lt. Commander
# 27
02-17-2010, 06:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meat_Machine
Why bother playing the game if you aren't playing to win? Every moment.
Because some people are simply trying to level.

Maybe they want to catch up with their friends in the next rank.
Maybe they want to max out the character and then ebay the account.
Maybe they think there's some mystical land of wonder waiting for them in the endgame.
Maybe they just want to experience all the ships before the first month is up so they can quit the game.

Whatever the reason, they don't care about winning, they just want easy XP as fast as possible and they don't care if it ruins everyone else's gameplay experience in the process.

People like that should be banned.

From all gaming.

Forever.
Lt. Commander
# 28
02-17-2010, 06:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slamz
Because some people are simply trying to level.

Maybe they want to catch up with their friends in the next rank.
Maybe they want to max out the character and then ebay the account.
Maybe they think there's some mystical land of wonder waiting for them in the endgame.
Maybe they just want to experience all the ships before the first month is up so they can quit the game.

Whatever the reason, they don't care about winning, they just want easy XP as fast as possible and they don't care if it ruins everyone else's gameplay experience in the process.

People like that should be banned.

From all gaming.

Forever.
Bigger numbers don't make it fun.
Lt. Commander
# 29
02-17-2010, 07:19 PM
It's lose, not loose.

My pants are loose.

I will lose tonight's game because I stayed up too late last night.
Lt. Commander
# 30
02-17-2010, 07:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meat_Machine
Now we wait. I crank up my aux to max, and I detect two of them at edge of firing range brieflly but can't exploit it. I see them incoming but can't type to warn,
amazing...a cloak detection in T1 at near 10km...you needed to highlight that in amazing technocolor!(just dont tell them how you did it )