Lt. Commander
# 1 Sign Here if You Love Plasma!
03-09-2010, 11:39 AM
so during end game phasers and disrupter are all the rage because of their easy skill point investment. That's all well and good and all, but what about plasma?

It all come back to this primal urge I have to make people I don't like burn, I love setting people on fire, especially those I don't like. That aside, from what I've heard everyone expects you to use phasers and disrupter in end game PvP so when they come about with their cute little disrupter and phaser resistance consoles and you come roaring out with your teal flames of justice to burn their hulls they can't defend well.

Ok granted, Hazard emitters are so commonplace that their proc probably won't be as effective I'd like to think. But I still believe in the power of plasma.

What do you guys think?

Let's set the world on fire! WHOOOOOO!
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-09-2010, 02:36 PM
The Plasma dot doesn't stack and does minimal damage. You don't need Hazard Emitters to protect yourself.

It's a 2.5% chance per weapon to trigger a less than 500 damage dot before modifiers. It's garbage.
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-09-2010, 02:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildfyre010 View Post
The Plasma dot doesn't stack and does minimal damage. You don't need Hazard Emitters to protect yourself.

It's a 2.5% chance per weapon to trigger a less than 500 damage dot before modifiers. It's garbage.
And thank you for sharing your opinion.

Sadly, all weapon proc effects are 2.5% chance, so you need a full build to ever see the benefits of the proc come up regularly.

Now unlike a disrupter's damage bonus, the plasma dot applies directly to a target's hull.

Does this make plasma the end all weapon? no. Is it still fun to set people on fire? yes. It it 100% useless? well that's a bit of a paradox. Because so many people find it so lack luster, very few people resist against it, thus that makes it more useful.
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-09-2010, 02:54 PM
The market has spoken, plasma type weapons are always the cheapest because next to nobody buys them.
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-09-2010, 02:54 PM
Plasma mines with attack pattern beta 3 are just evil.

Personally myself I'd use tetryon weapons too strip their ships shields along with plasma cannons. Myself I would stay away from dual beam banks because of their energy usage. The interesting thing is single cannons pair well with arrays.
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-09-2010, 02:59 PM
I like plasma torpedo with high yield, plan on eventually leveling another character to use them.
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-09-2010, 03:00 PM
Plasma DOT just does too little damage. I prefer phasers for the disable mechanics (hey, when it happens, it's cool!), or disruptors for the extra damage buff. Much better than the weak DOT.

The only time when the DOT is useful, is with a HY plasma torp. But since they are so slow and can be shot down, I hate them too.

So I do not like plasma weapons I'm afraid
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-09-2010, 04:03 PM
Quote:
It it 100% useless? well that's a bit of a paradox. Because so many people find it so lack luster, very few people resist against it, thus that makes it more useful.
Technically both Plasma and Disruptor do more damage than the other energy types, due to the damaging nature of their proc effects. But comparatively speaking, a -10% resist debuff is so much stronger than Plasma's pitiful dot that there's no real choice to be made between them, even if Disruptors weren't already better because of the lower skill point cost associated with improving them.

Quote:
Now unlike a disrupter's damage bonus, the plasma dot applies directly to a target's hull.
Yeah, but the Disruptor effect improves the damage of every single weapon from any ship which strikes the affected target over its duration. There's no comparison here. Quite frankly, the additional bleedthrough damage alone from my weapons when the Disruptor effect is active (assuming the shields are up throughout) is more destructive than the Plasma dot.

To put it in perspective, my Hazard Emitters 1 heals my Cruiser's hull for a hair under 500 health per tick. One single tick of this ability will outheal the total damage from a Plasma dot, which takes 15 seconds (lol) to do this damage. Calling the damage negligable really fails to do justice to just how poor the damage is. Unless your hull is taking damage from other sources, your ship's crew will repair the damage faster than it comes in.

Plasma weapons are cheap on the Exchange because they're bad. In all cases, Disruptor is superior. In most cases, Phaser and Tetryon are also superior. Being different is great if that's your preference, but don't delude yourself into thinking that different is actually better. Plasma weapons need to be buffed, but until they are they're simply inferior to ALL other energy weapon types.

For the record, I'm talking about Plasma energy weapons. The kinetic versions have their uses.
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-09-2010, 07:28 PM
Clearly, logically, there may be more potent, or efficient, or stackable weapons.

But nothing says "plz die naow" more than the delightful sight of an enemy ablaze from stem to stern in beautiful pale green fire.

Plasma arrays, backed up with plasma torp and plasma mines.

BO's? Plasma full auto assault. Me? Plasma super-rifle and a plasma assault cannon.

Tac officer skills? Plasma Grenade II and III.

Got 2 +20 to plasma weapons in my tac slots and I am loving it.
Lt. Commander
# 10
03-09-2010, 07:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildfyre010 View Post
Technically both Plasma and Disruptor do more damage than the other energy types, due to the damaging nature of their proc effects. But comparatively speaking, a -10% resist debuff is so much stronger than Plasma's pitiful dot that there's no real choice to be made between them, even if Disruptors weren't already better because of the lower skill point cost associated with improving them.

Yeah, but the Disruptor effect improves the damage of every single weapon from any ship which strikes the affected target over its duration. There's no comparison here. Quite frankly, the additional bleedthrough damage alone from my weapons when the Disruptor effect is active (assuming the shields are up throughout) is more destructive than the Plasma dot.

To put it in perspective, my Hazard Emitters 1 heals my Cruiser's hull for a hair under 500 health per tick. One single tick of this ability will outheal the total damage from a Plasma dot, which takes 15 seconds (lol) to do this damage. Calling the damage negligable really fails to do justice to just how poor the damage is. Unless your hull is taking damage from other sources, your ship's crew will repair the damage faster than it comes in.

Plasma weapons are cheap on the Exchange because they're bad. In all cases, Disruptor is superior. In most cases, Phaser and Tetryon are also superior. Being different is great if that's your preference, but don't delude yourself into thinking that different is actually better. Plasma weapons need to be buffed, but until they are they're simply inferior to ALL other energy weapon types.

For the record, I'm talking about Plasma energy weapons. The kinetic versions have their uses.

What do you do when you run into jerks like me with +20% Dis shields and +15% armor and your 10% bonus vanishes?

Additionally, yes , the proc isn't much. But it is stopping your HE from healing damage I've done to you with the main gun by some amount. Because of my plasma, you would normally be able to patch your hull faster.

Given that my main gimmick in a sci vessel is to target shields and plasma dump with mines, heavy torp and arrays, I am sure the proc WILL take effect, you will take a lot of damage and be on fire, and it will reduce your heal effectiveness.