Lt. Commander
So I logged into STO prepared for it's differences from other MMO's, but knowing there would be some similarities... Well i am having trouble, cause so far it feels very new and different... which is a good thing in my mind, but my old MMO thoughts seem to not apply mostly. I am grinding out missions and crawling towards Lt 4

But I think i am playing the game wrong or am not grasping something.

I have logged maybe 10 hours of total game time... 1 hour here 1 hour there. Some time spent exploring, some time spent on the starbase, ALOT of time spent on missions.

After 10 hours of game play I am still Lieutenant 3 (Lvl 3?). I went to the Starbase 24 encounter and battled there for nearly 6 battles... Still I am only Lvl 3. Since I began lvl 3, I have spent all of my 1900 skill points and all 360 on my 2 bridge officer points.

Overall I am not enjoying the game yet, but I am gonna give it about 2 months till I make any hard decisions (EQ1 doesn't begin till you hit level 20 and some say it doesn't begin till you hit level 40. But I still enjoyed the grind to those lvls) anyways. even if I have to grind it out a bit to find my place in the world I am willing to give STO a strong try... But maybe I am playing the game wrong? Or is the progression really this slow?

Thanks All!
Hope to see you all in game!

P.S. this is a game I Really WANT to like.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-17-2010, 07:00 AM
This is probably one of the fastest leveling games around. The first 10 levels feel a bit slow since the starting ship is crappy, and it starts speeding up once you get to tier 2. After that it goes easier and easier as you level.

Keep in mind the mobs themselves don't give xp, the missions do. So just do "main" missions, repeatable exploration and defend missions, maybe even a bit of PvP, and it shouldn't be too bad.

EDIT: The leveling in STO is actually opposite to most other games, in the sense that the first levels are slowest, and at higher levels xp scales pretty well (maybe even too well). So just make it through to LtComm, and the leveling feel should change noticeably.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-17-2010, 07:03 AM
Slow leveling is a good thing. Most people on the forums moan about it going to fast.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-17-2010, 07:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashrod
Slow leveling is a good thing. Most people on the forums moan about it going to fast.
The only problem is that the slowest parts of the game are also the most boring ones (tier 1) since you have just the starter ship, limited weapons and abilities. And then, just as you start getting better ships, tougher enemies and more abilities, leveling speeds up as well.

Out of all the tiers, 1-11 was the longest in my case.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-17-2010, 07:15 AM
good to hear. Makes me feel a bit better about the slow going. I am pretty sure I am still doing something wrong or inefficiently but at only Lt3... Whatever! I will learn.

So is there anyway to maximize points on a mission? Can i do more to end with more XP? or is it always the same reward no matter how good or badly you do? (aside from PVP ofcourse)
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-17-2010, 07:15 AM
It's taken me about 20-25 hours to hit Lt Commander, so your play time sounds about right.

As for differences to to other MMOs: Most of the staples are there, but presented in different ways. Although the ships may be an exception to that. I can't think of a good comparison in any of the MMOs I've played.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-17-2010, 07:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by spoodie View Post
I can't think of a good comparison in any of the MMOs I've played.
Neither can I. And my mind usually works based on comparisons..

Ok this system is similiar to WoW, this system is similiar to EQ, that is similiar to Lineage and then i put it all together and away I go...

STO has kept me going just cause of all the new things to learn. I see some familiar systems and methods here and there, but they have either created a lot of new or masked them very well here.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-17-2010, 07:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashrod
In Some games I would have preferred Slow leveling. Getting little upgrades along the way etc.. I don't know anywhere near enough about this game to make any real opinion so i will try to keep that at bay for now... but so far I am not excited by the slow going. But I blame that lack of fun on my in-ability to grasp the game play so far.

Sorta like: it's hard to enjoy baseball if you can't hit or catch the ball, but once you can.. (at age 5-7 LOL) then it's a whole other ballgame!

So I will gauge you guys for info and make corrections to my play style till i find something enjoyable .
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-17-2010, 07:29 AM
yea, the first 10 levels are a pain the the arse. After you get to T2, things speed up. With that said, I made it to Admiral in about two weeks without rushing.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-17-2010, 07:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SB324
Keep in mind the mobs themselves don't give xp, the missions do. So just do "main" missions, repeatable exploration and defend missions, maybe even a bit of PvP, and it shouldn't be too bad.
This isn't entirely true though Anything you kill give XP, just not a lot. And it also depends on your level in relation to them. When I kill a ship (or squadron of 3 if it is bird-of-prey) that's +3 to me I usually get around 10 XP. So while you get very little, you do get some. If you grind ships just for the XP, and not involve missions, it may take some time though

EDIT: To the OP, contact me in-game if you like, and I can help you out with a few hints and tips. I've sent you a friends-request.