Lt. Commander
# 11
02-17-2010, 07:46 AM
Awesome Assistance All! Thanks for all the info... Hearing that 1-10 is a grind really makes me feel that my possible ineptitude at the game, might just be the initial grind.

LOL
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-17-2010, 08:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SB324
Keep in mind the mobs themselves don't give xp, the missions do. So just do "main" missions, repeatable exploration and defend missions, maybe even a bit of PvP, and it shouldn't be too bad.
Not strictly true, you do get a few Skillpoints for killing an enemy ship, (or squadron for smaller vessels) but realisticaly it's useless unless you're only 2 or 3 points from your next spendable amount.
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-17-2010, 08:15 AM
Also make sure you are spending your skill points as they will prevent you from leveling until they are spent.
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-17-2010, 08:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendaren
Also make sure you are spending your skill points as they will prevent you from leveling until they are spent.
Thank you. I did notice that later in the game, when someone else asked in chat.. I looked at my skills and realized i had not spent any.
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-17-2010, 08:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Origosis View Post
So I logged into STO prepared for it's differences from other MMO's, but knowing there would be some similarities... Well i am having trouble, cause so far it feels very new and different... which is a good thing in my mind, but my old MMO thoughts seem to not apply mostly.
You might find the Character Basics link in my sig to be useful (and the Skills: The Numbers article once you've read that).

Hope it helps.
Lt. Commander
# 16
02-17-2010, 08:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by spoodie View Post
I can't think of a good comparison in any of the MMOs I've played.
STO is fairly similar in overall structure to Pirates of the Burning Sea, although it has a unique character system (and lacks the player-driven economy and dynamic PvP world).
Lt. Commander
# 17
02-17-2010, 09:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBadB
You might find the Character Basics link in my sig to be useful (and the Skills: The Numbers article once you've read that).

Hope it helps.
I am reading both right now, they are filling in a lot of Gaps in the Swiss cheese Knowledge that I have.

thank you!
Lt. Commander
# 18
02-17-2010, 09:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Origosis View Post
good to hear. Makes me feel a bit better about the slow going. I am pretty sure I am still doing something wrong or inefficiently but at only Lt3... Whatever! I will learn.

So is there anyway to maximize points on a mission? Can i do more to end with more XP? or is it always the same reward no matter how good or badly you do? (aside from PVP ofcourse)
I may have missed someone saying so, but i'd say do the story episodes. They seem to level me the quickest and are more varied. I tend to do whatever quest pops up for me, and leveling pretty quickly. I don't do the fleet actions often, once or twice really, and explorations as i want gear for my ship after getting a new one. I do the patrol ones too, but those are more repetitive, good xp from what it seemed like though.

Don't take the same way of "grinding mobs" though, that's not a good way here.
Lt. Commander
# 19
02-17-2010, 10:05 AM
I'm actually finding the leveling to be a bit slower after hitting Lt.Cmdr. I've taken every mission I can, even doing fleet actions and exploration missions. Sticking with the story missions has netted me some nice rewards but it has taken me two days, playing roughly four hours each day, to go from Lt Cmdr 5 to 6. Apparently I still have a lot to learn as I'm sure I'm doing something wrong. Maybe I need to stop clinging to my original BO's and get some better ones to make the tougher fights go a bit more smoothly.
Lt. Commander
# 20
02-17-2010, 10:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by usagizero View Post
I may have missed someone saying so, but i'd say do the story episodes.
How do I do the story Episodes?

I have not really found a quest hub in the game... I have constant quests, but only cause of getting random pop-ups and such.