Lt. Commander
# 21
02-17-2010, 11:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Origosis View Post
How do I do the story Episodes?

I have not really found a quest hub in the game... I have constant quests, but only cause of getting random pop-ups and such.
The story missions come from Admiral Quinn. You can pick up missions from him through the Hail Starfleet button (communicator button in the top-right).

Contrary to what others have said, I don't think the lt. rank should be going as slowly as you've been experiencing. Aren't you already lt. 3 by the time you've finished the tutorial?

It sounds like you might not actually be picking up your missions. You can play through quite a bit of content just by visiting random systems .. but if you don't have the mission to go there in the first place, you're going to get diddly as a reward.
Lt. Commander
# 22
02-17-2010, 11:02 AM
took me 3days 12hrs 13mins 8secs of gametime to hit lvl 45..i only did mission back to back .and defend sectors to get to the next lvl so i could get a mission.
Lt. Commander
# 23
02-17-2010, 11:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by YYC26 View Post
The story missions come from Admiral Quinn. You can pick up missions from him through the Hail Starfleet button (communicator button in the top-right).

Contrary to what others have said, I don't think the lt. rank should be going as slowly as you've been experiencing. Aren't you already lt. 3 by the time you've finished the tutorial?

It sounds like you might not actually be picking up your missions. You can play through quite a bit of content just by visiting random systems .. but if you don't have the mission to go there in the first place, you're going to get diddly as a reward.
Well I guess I should not have mentioned the time, it's irrelevant in many cases... In my case i have been fooling around a lot, and loosing missions but I figured with what I have done I might be further then lvl 3.

But with some new knowledge, and a bit more focus I will see how things go... Still can't afford a 3rd BO, and currently don't have any quests that will reward me with one... So lacking a 3rd BO could be weakening me badly?
Lt. Commander
# 24
02-17-2010, 11:14 AM
I agree with this poster, you should probably level once by just doing one or two "storyline" missions. Storyline missions give you a lot of XP, Make sure you get your missions as outlined below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYC26 View Post

Lt. Commander
# 25
02-17-2010, 11:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Origosis View Post
good to hear. Makes me feel a bit better about the slow going. I am pretty sure I am still doing something wrong or inefficiently but at only Lt3... Whatever! I will learn.

So is there anyway to maximize points on a mission? Can i do more to end with more XP? or is it always the same reward no matter how good or badly you do? (aside from PVP ofcourse)
Yep, it is the same.

The best XP (i.e. skill points) is found from the main storyline missions. You will get less from patrol missions and exploration missions although it's still pretty good, especially since you usually get points for completing individual missions and also for completing a "set" (entire patrol mission set or an explore set of three missions).

Also yes make sure you have a BO for each slot your ship has. You can find some on the exchange for just a couple of hundred of energy if you look for a few minutes. The first few missions give you BO options that should take care of this problem though.
Lt. Commander
# 26
02-17-2010, 11:28 AM
Of those of us who played during Beta/Head Start, most of us are Admiral inside a month. Funnily enough, it seems to level slower from Ensign to Lieutenant Commander than from Lieutenant Commander to Admiral but that's just my perception and I have no real facts to back that up. To be frank, given the state of the game and its lack of high level content, you're best taking your time but if you do want to level up faster, you could try doing the "explore the X nebulae" missions which are basically instanced missions but can get you skill points quite fast.
Lt. Commander
# 27
02-17-2010, 11:35 AM
I really think they need to get you into your 'real' ship more quickly. The miranda series are great for learning the game and controls, but you are stuck with that thing for WAY too long.

I think that by level 5 you should be able to upgrade to your chosen ship type. Either that or speed up the levels 1-10 so you get there much quicker.

I also think that from 11+ they need to slow it down a bit.

It took me a couple days of running missions to get to Lt Cmdr, then in one evening I got 5 levels into Lt Cmdr. That just isnt right.

People want to see rewards, and be able to judge progress, but at the same time, reaching Admiral 5 within a couple weeks without even trying to level fast is not a good thing.
Lt. Commander
# 28
02-17-2010, 11:40 AM
A trick Ive picked up is to spend the first half of my acquired rank (less then half at lower levels) doing Explore "Fill In Blank". Firstly, the Badges can be turned in for some very good loot, alot of which are actually rare. Secondly they drop about 155+ XP which at lower ranks gets you leveling alot faster.

Alot of my Fleet buddies have mentioned the way they keep themselves moving at a steady pace without a drop off between missions and leveling (missions unlock at certian levels) is to actually do an explore mission between each storyline mission.

Sounds to me though, you really havent looked around the HUD and really familiarized yourself with how you acquire missions or how you can use the tools provided to the benefit of your gameplay.

^ Ima have to disagree, the game is all too fast as it is. Infact it might be TOO fast. Ive played a total of 6 days acquired in game and Im already mid way thru Captain. Theres only 45 total levels to this game and once your past Lieutenant 10 things begin to pick up. Lt. Cmdr is the last rank thats technically slow. Commander blows by and people hardly notice it. Before you know it your Admiral.

While the Miranda isnt an ideal ship. It fits well in the Ensign - Lieutenant Rank as it doesnt let you fly thru to Lt. Cmdr and miss the storyline development or how to really hone your technique in game. The Tutorial can only give you the basics. A starting point. The Lt. rank allows you to play with your weapons choices (cannons on a cruiser??) and your tactics against the AI. It needs to be slow to allow the player to get a grip of his own gameplay so that in later ranks. He isnt overwhelmed when the AI starts pulling high yield torps or disabling your entire ship for 10 seconds.
Lt. Commander
# 29
02-17-2010, 11:47 AM
I restarted a new character a few days back, and this time I made it to Lt. Commander in 11 hours in-game time. Of course, now I knew how to properly fit my ship and all. Immediately refitted the Miranda with PBA II's, EPS Flow Regulator and so on and of course set my weapon power to maximum. Cut down the NPCs like a warm knife through butter.

I reckon 1 hour pr. level, at least once you know the game, is really reasonably fast. I think the first time I used around 18 hours in-game time to advance to Lt. Commander, which is not a long time either. Of course, if you can only play the game for one hour every day it'll take you some time.
Lt. Commander
# 30
02-17-2010, 11:57 AM
Sorry, off topic here, but ever since I saw the OPs avatar, I've had this uncontrollable urge, so I must do it.

"Good job Yamada Jiro"

"DAIGOJI GAI!!!!!!"

Yume ga asu o yonteiru tamashii no sakebi sa
RETTSU GOO PASSHON
itsu no hi ka heiwa o torimodosei no te ni
RETTSU GOO

GEKIGANGAA 3

Ok done, you may continue