Lt. Commander
# 21
02-17-2010, 09:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acidpunk View Post
I'm sorry I played all the way up to admiral very damn slowly and I tell you what of the Episodes only a few are actually memorable that's how great they are, I've done enough Defend X / Explore X.

The content is pretty damn weak, Mission design is terrible to be brutally honest and Dialogue seems thrown together last minute, There are so many mistakes it breaks the immersion factor constantly.

Heck remember the mission where you have to cure the independent Romulans for the virus that they got cause the Remans infected them and took over the lab. Now remember scanning the subjects for a pure sample. What did they look like ?, Starfleet Uniforms.

Those sorts of things with the weak mission designs like Scan X amount / Destroy X amount with nothing other than that to me is weak and not worth what I paid for it.
I agree that some of the missions are pretty weak, and Cryptic could (and should) have written more than the kill x missions. This is an MMO and it will continue to evolve, hopefully they are reading these forums for some ideas.

Quote:
No I can give you an offline RPG box set that would have to a casual player a years worth of gameplay for less than a single month sub

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Baldurs-Gate.../dp/B002TOKQH2
Never played Baldur's Gate so can't comment but I was speaking in general terms of offline RPG's such as Mass Effect, KOTOR, etc. I'll typically play through them in 40 - 50 hours. If I like them enough I'll make a second or third character and play through again making different choices to see how it affects the story.
Lt. Commander
# 22
02-17-2010, 09:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by someGit View Post
You played upwards of twenty episode's worth of content when you were moving up to admiral... Did you not notice any of that?

So in less than one month (who am I kidding...probably less than a week I'm guessing) , you have obsessively played a fifty dollar games worth of content... Basing on the games I can think of...and you have no idea if / when more is coming, so you are just ranting like a pointless ranty-thing there.... Every multi-mission story line... You read everything. you did everything....

Or maybe you just did it the easiest way you could think of and skipped through all of it... Then once you got to the top so you could be some sort of STO celebutard, you just started ranting about the lack of content because *you* didn't see any, because you had to take the shortcut....

Like a spoiled kid who eats his candy bar in thirty seconds then throws a fit so mumsy will give them another one...

Which of course you and I know you did, but I don't expect you to own up now... =D
I notice that you usually take this stance, and I actually respect your opinions. They are well thought out and you typically use eligible grammar. I also think that there is a healthy amount of content in this game, but don't you find it fairly repetitive? I mean I was fighting Cardassians in the Badlands, and after landing on their Alpha Moon base, I was mindlessley just mashing the 1&2 keys and killing them room-to-room. Never once was I in real danger, and never once did I have to vary my tactics to complete the mission. I essentially just waded through the Cardassians (and their turrets) until I completed the level. Then I read the paragrph and ho-hum moved on.

Don't get me wrong. I enjoy playing the game, but man if I didn't have new ships to look forward too, I would probably lose steam. I am guessing that will happen when I hit Admiral (Commander 9 now), and that seems unfortunate, and it's really my own issue, but I feel like the game is becomming a failry reptitive exercise at this point. Alas, I will carry on in the hopes that the game recieves "something" (to be fair, I don't even know what) that creates some more excitement for my own personal taste.
Lt. Commander
# 23
02-17-2010, 09:31 AM
Quote:
I'm sorry I played all the way up to admiral very damn slowly and I tell you what of the Episodes only a few are actually memorable that's how great they are, I've done enough Defend X / Explore X.

The content is pretty damn weak, Mission design is terrible to be brutally honest and Dialogue seems thrown together last minute, There are so many mistakes it breaks the immersion factor constantly.

Heck remember the mission where you have to cure the independent Romulans for the virus that they got cause the Remans infected them and took over the lab. Now remember scanning the subjects for a pure sample. What did they look like ?, Starfleet Uniforms.

Those sorts of things with the weak mission designs like Scan X amount / Destroy X amount with nothing other than that to me is weak and not worth what I paid for it.

No I can give you an offline RPG box set that would have to a casual player a years worth of gameplay for less than a single month sub

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Baldurs-Gate.../dp/B002TOKQH2
Hmm I guess this is your first MMO?

You should try some of the games that have been around for a decade yet still make a lot of money....

And yes... I remember the Romulans in the city half of who were wearing Starfleet uniforms... As I recall the story line was that they were Romulans that were actually friendly towards Starfleet... which was a part of the premise...

Do you remember that mission in FEAR where you are ducking behind a desk...and the point of the mission was to get to the end of the hall? ...Pretty lame eh?

...Or do you remember the mission in SWG, where the whole point of the mission was to kill your way to the bridge of the Corellian Corvette? ...pretty lame eh?

...Or do you remember that mission in AO where the whole point was to kill all the bad guys from room-to-room only to kill for a solid half hour then have kill the Boss in end that was nothing but another half hour of key mashing? ...pretty lame eh?

...Or do you remember that mission in Left 4 Dead where your only point was to get from one building to another, doing nothing but killing things for ten minutes to get there? ...pretty lame eh?

...Or do you remember that mission in Nobody Lives Forever where your only point was to pick a lock? ...pretty lame eh?

.....Or do you remember that mission in Pac Man where the only point of the mission was to eat dots and occasionally fruit to kill things that were trying to kill you? ...pretty lame eh?

..... Or do you remember that mission in Battlefield 2142 where the only point was to kill a bunch of things on your way to a field where you just sat there and killed other things until the mission was done? ...pretty lame eh?

...Or do you remember that mission in WoW where the only point of the mission was to kill a bunch of stuff that was easy to kill, just to get a chance to spend even more time killing that thing that was harder to kill? ...pretty lame eh?

...We call them "video games"...

You're welcome!
Lt. Commander
# 24
02-17-2010, 09:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakoriz
Hit Admiral 5 and made a new character with a different class/ship.

I do hope they get some new content for Admirals soon since I'm not really into PvP. But I dont feel this is a fault of the game. Its brand new and cant be expected to have a ton of content yet.
What a load of utter rubbish.

Who's fault is it?

You and people like you are the reason MMOs come out half assed. YOU paid for a product so why the hell are YOU so easy going about it not doing what its supposed to do?

I honestly though the huge influx of MMO's once the big game companies saw the huge profit margins of WoW was a good thing. Even when *** failed I felt other MMO developers would see that releasing a half finished product would cost instead of make them money. But Warhammer online did the exact same thing and Cryptic after the failure of CO should of learned their lesson but instead made the same mistake all over again.
Lt. Commander
# 25
02-17-2010, 09:38 AM
Quote:

You should try some of the games that have been around for a decade yet still make a lot of money....

And yes... I remember the Romulans in the city half of who were wearing Starfleet uniforms... As I recall the story line was that they were Romulans that were actually friendly towards Starfleet... which was a part of the premise...

Do you remember that mission in FEAR where you are ducking behind a desk...and the point of the mission was to get to the end of the hall? ...Pretty lame eh?

...Or do you remember the mission in SWG, where the whole point of the mission was to kill your way to the bridge of the Corellian Corvette? ...pretty lame eh?

...Or do you remember that mission in AO where the whole point was to kill all the bad guys from room-to-room only to kill for a solid half hour then have kill the Boss in end that was nothing but another half hour of key mashing? ...pretty lame eh?

...Or do you remember that mission in Left 4 Dead where your only point was to get from one building to another, doing nothing but killing things for ten minutes to get there? ...pretty lame eh?

...Or do you remember that mission in Nobody Lives Forever where your only point was to pick a lock? ...pretty lame eh?

.....Or do you remember that mission in Pac Man where the only point of the mission was to eat dots and occasionally fruit so kill things that were trying to kill you? ...pretty lame eh?

..... Or do you remember that mission in Battlefield 2142 where the only point was to kill a bunch of things on your way to a field where you just sat there and killed other things until the mission was done? ...pretty lame eh?

...Or do you remember that mission in WoW where the only point of the mission was to kill a bunch of stuff that was easy to kill, just to get a chance to spend even more time killing that thing that was harder to kill? ...pretty lame eh?

You're welcome!
Way to miss Acidpunk's entire point.

For every Gateway or rescue DS9 mission in STO you will have to play through countless dull, boring and repetitive missions which are just copy and pasted from the last dull and boring mission you have just completed.

Hell the Gateway and DS9 missions are the only ones that stood out as I wrote this
Lt. Commander
# 26
02-17-2010, 09:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jounar View Post
Way to miss Acidpunk's entire point.

For every Gateway or rescue DS9 mission in STO you will have to play through countless dull, boring and repetitive missions which are just copy and pasted from the last dull and boring mission you have just completed.

Hell the Gateway and DS9 missions are the only ones that stood out as I wrote this
I didn't miss the point...

YOU have missed the concept...

Don't talk down to me unless you're up higher to begin with ....
Lt. Commander
# 27
02-17-2010, 10:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowkiller75
what happens once you make admrial...
then the waiting for more content starts...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowkiller75
is the game over......
for now it is... except you are having fun doing the same old and repeating quests with another class. Considering that there´s not even class quests it´s not worth to be replayed.
Lt. Commander
# 28
02-17-2010, 12:04 PM
Quote:

.....Or do you remember that mission in Pac Man where the only point of the mission was to eat dots and occasionally fruit to kill things that were trying to kill you? ...pretty lame eh?

You're welcome!
Great analogy! Video games are repetitive. Beyond video games, our very own lives can be (by choice or circumstance) repetitive. Wake up, eat, go to work, lunch, break, get home, insert time-waster, and go to sleep. Wash, rinse, and repeat. Blah, "I've done this mission with do x and finish y. I'm leaving for another life mmo and you can have my stuff!" But in our own lives we have ways to break up that mold or things than can make the daily grind varied.

I did play Baldurs Gate 1 and 2 that the poster you quoted mentioned. I remember them being much more complex than ME1 and 2 which were made by the same company. There were so many ways to tackle a quest. I could sleep a mob an enter a place unnoticed. Or, I could ally with a group to enter said place or have the two groups fight each other. You had options on top of the grind. Baldurs Gate 1 was very open-ended. Loved it and took more than 100 hours to complete.

Ah the nostalgia.

But back onto topic.

MMO's like a single-player game are founded on repetition. I would hope for variation. Pac Man is repetitive, but you have different ways of achieving your goal. The highest score in that game is also a motivator like someone getting elite gear to show off to low-bies.

I'll give my perspective since everyone has their own take on the game.

I'm at Captain now. It is fun doing the grind with my brother. Alone...not so much. Talking while killing x or scanning x helps break up the time. It is no different than any other known MMO. You kill a lot of monsters and finish quests. I've been playing various MMO's since 1997. They still follow the same formula. The last one I played was ****. I quit after the month. I wasn't a huge fan of PVP, fun as it is.

I'm only using **** because that is my last MMO experience. They had cutscenes, voice, different scenery as you progressed. The cutscenes added to the immersion with scripted voice. Now some of the cutscenes were lame, especially the ones showing you were to collect fruit from Spriggs. Pointless but it was a fun diversion nonetheless.

It is same old same old in this game, for a different reason beyond kill x amount to get to x level–Immersion.
Yes we have environments and walls of text to click through. But the immersion isn't there because the product isn't finished. Immersion helps distract me from the obvious grind. (edit: I would list the items, but I'd have to write a lot more. Examples for me are sector space, loading screens, Cargo Bay doors in the bridge, inconsistent LCARS on some bridges, and the Romulan mission with the sick people. The virus affects only Romulans and yet the sick people are Bolians, Andorians, and humans. And etc.)

I saw a preview for STO where it was a cutscene showing the away team discovering dead federation civilians with voiceovers and an interesting narrative, I thought it was cool. I liked that they showed a flotilla of klingons approaching their ship, I thought that was actual gameplay and that all the episodes would play out in this fashion.

How cool it would have been to see your ship warp into sector space with a small captains log narrated from the Bridge or depicting your ship enter orbit. Or perhaps to show a cinematic cut of your away team beaming down onto a planet and unholstering their weapons. Sigh...

Someone said this before on a Macrumors forum. "An MMO is a virtual spreadsheet you update...let that sink in a bit"

Better than doing meth or being an alcoholic. At least you will need less reconstructive surgery.

Oh and for the OP.

Until there is any endgame content, the consensus is that there isn't a whole lot to do except upgrade your gear.

Cheers.
Lt. Commander
# 29
02-17-2010, 12:08 PM
Quote:
I didn't miss the point...

YOU have missed the concept...

Don't talk down to me unless you're up higher to begin with ....

BNo he was right acids point went right over your head FYI every game you listed Sheets all over STO in everyway in every aspect. Having ten boring missions in an mmo eh i can deal haveing 99% of them stink eeeeehh not so much.
Lt. Commander
# 30
02-17-2010, 12:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinkybudz
BNo he was right acids point went right over your head FYI every game you listed Sheets all over STO in everyway in every aspect. Having ten boring missions in an mmo eh i can deal haveing 99% of them stink eeeeehh not so much.
Ahh okay.....

...so you have evidence...but you have no evidence that you have any evidence...

Some would call that "opinion"... I call it "delusional tantrums"...

Thanks for clearing that one up "Stinkybudz".... I think Cheech is waiting for you in the Ice Cream truck....

PS: Try amphetamine next time, it heightens your awareness =)