Lt. Commander
# 1 Do episodes chain?
02-17-2010, 08:41 AM
Do episode missions chain? Meaning... do I have to complete certain missions in order to be assigned certain other missions? Or is it based purely on CLVL (or something else?)

I'm just wondering if it is safe to drop missions that I do not wish to complete or will I be missing out on other content?
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-17-2010, 08:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelnyc View Post
Do episode missions chain? Meaning... do I have to complete certain missions in order to be assigned certain other missions? Or is it based purely on CLVL (or something else?)

I'm just wondering if it is safe to drop missions that I do not wish to complete or will I be missing out on other content?
What I have noticed so far is that once you complete an episodic mission, it leads to another one thus continuing that story arc throughout each rank as you progress in grade. The initial mission appears to be given simply by attaining a certain rank. When I hit Captain, I did not do episode missions until about grade 5 and was not offered new episodes (even though I was a higher grade) until I completed the initial ones.

Hope that helped.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-17-2010, 09:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelnyc View Post

I'm not sure. There are story arcs that run through several episodes, but I've sometimes been given the 'next' episode before I've completed the first one.

I'm fairly sure that most episodes are unlocked through level alone.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-17-2010, 10:01 AM
In my experience it's based solely on your rank and grade. I remember getting the second mission in an "arc" before I had even done the first. I accepted the first, then went off and did something else, going up a grade in the process, after that I got the second mission. I remember being confused because the briefing for the second mission started with something like "after you rescued the U.S.S. Whatever" which I hadn't done yet.

It's kind of immersion-breaking, especially when you consider that you could end up reading spoilers for a mission you have yet to do in your own damn quest log.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-17-2010, 10:19 AM
I wish the episodes were differentiated more from the other quests, sort of the way Lotro does their epic quest line (eg. Vol I :Book II :Chapter 3) or something similar.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-17-2010, 10:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan Collier
In my experience it's based solely on your rank and grade.
This is true for some, but definitely not all episodic mssions. I play with a friend and he was unable to get several missions I had (and I was unable to share them) until he had gone back and done the earlier ones.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-17-2010, 02:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by leerob01 View Post
I wish the episodes were differentiated more from the other quests, sort of the way Lotro does their epic quest line (eg. Vol I :Book II :Chapter 3) or something similar.
In general the misison journal in STO could use some love. It would be nice to see the quests that are part of a larger story and to make sure you know which are dependant (from a story perspective) on each other. It would also be nice to see which missions others in your group had too.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-17-2010, 02:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drakeborn View Post
This is true for some, but definitely not all episodic mssions. I play with a friend and he was unable to get several missions I had (and I was unable to share them) until he had gone back and done the earlier ones.
That is my experience as well. Some episodic mission are simply offered upon reaching a certain rank but others are dependent of completing a prior story. There is no way to tell one from the other.

If the OP is going to skip some content, I suggest skipping the patrol missions. Those are the least interesting and the greatest killer of game time.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-17-2010, 02:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocSavag View Post
In general the misison journal in STO could use some love. It would be nice to see the quests that are part of a larger story and to make sure you know which are dependant (from a story perspective) on each other. It would also be nice to see which missions others in your group had too.
Although I agree, it's really not that bad. I've seen and played with MUCH MUCH worse.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-17-2010, 03:24 PM
Yeah, it seems to vary. Some missions are chained and have a story arc, and others are just based on level. They all seem to have a minimum level though, I think. It's possible to temporarily run out of missions and have to grind out the rest of your grade to get more (I had this happen to me only once, but there was a mission I was also avoiding for a while due to some glitch or something, and came back to it later, opening up a whole bunch more).