Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > PvP Gameplay
Login

Captain
Anyone remember PvP in this game back in the old days, in the first few months after release?

Back then lots of people were leveling a toon and some of us old-time PvPers were doing it by PvP alone. The queues were full at every rank, matches popping in quick succession.

Of course that was before the PvP skill point reward nerf, before universal magic consoles, before FvF(yay universal queues), before field generators, before the hull and shield buff, before A2B, before singularity cores, before rep etc etc etc.

But lets forget that for a second.

Does anyone think we'll see this again when the level cap is raised? Does anyone think 50-60 PvP matches will reward skill points in an amount that will make it worthwhile?

Anyone?

What, no one?
Previously Alendiak
Daizen - Lvl 52 Engineer - Eclipse
Selia - Lvl 60 Tactical - Eclipse
Rihannsu
# 2
08-25-2014, 12:47 PM
I would be very surprised if you could go from lvl 50 to 60 by doing pvp, no matter how long it might take. Not to mention how quickly lvl 50 queues will be empty, if they work at all after release.
Joined 06.10
PvP 2010-2011
PvP 2012-2013
Career Officer
# 3
08-25-2014, 12:51 PM
I remember.

I was still a noob back then. (Might still be idk lol)

Pandoras box of magic universal consoles is open and they won't be restricted to the ships they came with ever again.

This level increase just means a new form of power creep.
Captain
# 4
08-25-2014, 01:07 PM
Pvp will remain relatively the same. The point of saturation has long since past. All that there is now is the haves acquiring the latest. Greatest boons to pvp before casuals even get the chance.

Recent example? Crafting traits....beams at 3% final damage, engineering damage reduction on use of engineering abilities, and so on.

There may be new toys, pvp as a whole will remain the same
Chive on and prosper, eh?

My PvE/PvP hybrid skill tree
Commander
# 5
08-25-2014, 03:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by orondis View Post
Anyone remember PvP in this game back in the old days...

Anyone?

What, no one?
U mean the time of SNB and TS:X stacks, VM putting cd on powers, on a 10+ minutes with shields down, ping pong PSW, FBP working only against beams, doing 10k dmg per pulse..etc. Oh and...sciscort owning tacscort and engscort (yeah we had that fights, remember?) times...that can come back ...

edit: CSV one salvo - dead team? FAW with dbbs doing insane dmg? 8)

edit 2: Me hunting minimax in my sci defiant, and then the rage...^^ target engines 3, and tbr... memories keep coming back
[10:49] [Combat (Self)] Your Proton Barrage deals 96581 (43411) Proton(Critical) to Seto.
Poor soul didnt have time to log out.

Last edited by ivantomdisplay; 08-25-2014 at 03:26 PM.
Starfleet Veteran
# 6
08-26-2014, 04:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivantomdisplay View Post
U mean the time of SNB and TS:X stacks, VM putting cd on powers, on a 10+ minutes with shields down, ping pong PSW, FBP working only against beams, doing 10k dmg per pulse..etc. Oh and...sciscort owning tacscort and engscort (yeah we had that fights, remember?) times...that can come back ...

edit 2: Me hunting minimax in my sci defiant, and then the rage...^^ target engines 3, and tbr... memories keep coming back
So...were you a Fed before...hunting the King of Vapers?
Then...stop doing an evul Klingun and come back to the good guys!
After a fierce battle against the evuls a Fed Captain needs some relax!
Career Officer
# 7
08-26-2014, 06:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivantomdisplay View Post

Oh god yes I loved my Sci Scort. ..Defiant.

I still do, JHAS or Contortrix, but not like it was back then.
Career Officer
# 8
08-26-2014, 06:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by orondis View Post
Of course that was before the PvP skill point reward nerf, before universal magic consoles, before FvF(yay universal queues), before field generators, before the hull and shield buff, before A2B, before singularity cores, before rep etc etc etc.

But lets forget that for a second.
You cannot let go of that if you want balanced PvP to be back. (Was it ever a thing to begin with?)

No amount of level raising (alone) will fix all the bad stuff implemented over the last few Seasons.
Lieutenant
# 9
08-26-2014, 07:59 AM
I wouldn't get any hopes up regarding a level cap increase and it certainly won't bring back the old days, they are gone.

What it will do is keep people busy for a short while, fooling people into thinking the game is changing. When they reach level 60 it will be back to the same old same old.

Cap increase is just the dead horse swelling as it decays !
Rihannsu
# 10
08-26-2014, 10:25 AM
If you forgot, it was told by the devs that leveling from 50 to 60 shall be in a different way. Which I suppose, shall be some kind of "marks" which shall be rewarded by some new pve stuff. (I think leveling from 50 to 60 is a new masked reputation system)

In-game handle @Janetza