Captain
# 1 Problem renaming a new ship?
08-25-2014, 07:58 PM
My KDF/Sci guy just got himself a new ship off the exchange and I went to rename it and whatever I put in the blank box and click rename, I got an error, I think it said "There is no ship by that name"

I haven't renamed a ship in an age and a half. Is there a bug or did I do something stupidly wrong and can I still rename that ship even though I've already "readied" it and am buying equipment for it?
Career Officer
# 2
08-25-2014, 11:01 PM
Sure it didn't say " You already have a ship by that name."?

I had to place a 1,2 , etc on the end of my older ships names for me to rename my FED ship to the same name as them. So now they would appear to be different names to the server.

Just add anything to the end of the names of another ships you have in storage and she'll be right. =3
Join Date : September 2010. Boldly going forward because Cryptic forgot reverse.
I am currently unsupervised, anyone who knows me will tell you that this will most likely lead to trouble. =3
Cryptic, I'll take your fancy T6 Ships and blow them out of the star's with my mighty T5 Vor'Cha!
Survivor of Romulus
# 3
08-26-2014, 11:24 AM
I've run into this with new ships before. Just accept whatever default name it gives you (assuming you did this already) and rename it through the status screen later. You can't rename ships while you're flying them, but even if it's readied, you can rename it on the ground.
Want to run canon ship loadouts? Join the Star Trek Battles channel.
Captain
# 4
08-26-2014, 11:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonsbrethren View Post
I've run into this with new ships before. Just accept whatever default name it gives you (assuming you did this already) and rename it through the status screen later. You can't rename ships while you're flying them, but even if it's readied, you can rename it on the ground.
Thanks, took me just a sec to locate the actual rename option (the icon next to the name) but landed and tried it and it worked fine.

I generally hadn't really cared about ship names, this one was just a string of unpronounceable letters and on a whim I thought I'd rename it. ( I assume that's STO trying to randomize a klingon sounding name.)
Captain
# 5
08-28-2014, 09:20 AM
Sometimes you will need to re-rename it in Fed ships because the hull name does not always take when you rename it right out if the box.

All my Fed and Rom toons have themes associated with them.

Because my first ever ship in this game was named "USS Manhattan", and I'm a New Yorker, all my ships on my primary have names that have something to do with New York.
My fed Sci has all people associated with the Manhattan Project, fed ENG named after building engineers (people who design and build structures) and a fed TAC alt has US presidents. Rom ships are all after seasons of my teo favorite shows after Star Trek, "Super Sentai" and "Kamen Rider"

So when I get a new ship, it immensity gets a name that fits the theme. I can even have some if these names picked out well in advanced. The moment knew Knew the Oddessy class existed, I knew mine would be USS Neiuw Amsterdam (New York City's name when it was founded as part of a Dutch colony). Work hard to earn the C-points (we didn't have zen yet, my God I sound like an old timer), buy the ship, change the name, beam up....

And the original name is still on the hull. Had to go down, tweak it and then beam back up.
I send three purple diplomats on a simple gift exchange and they blow it...
I send three white bartenders on a three day wilderness training exercise and the crit it...
Career Officer
# 6
08-28-2014, 09:43 AM
I actually got by random a Fleet Sovereign out of the shipyard with...

USS RAINBOW

I kept the name for PvP although augmented it to USS Reading Rainbow.

Sovereign-> Geordi -> LaVar Burton-> Reading Rainbow TV show

People would think that I was a noob rainbow boat and try to take on this 20k build and get wrecked!
-32nd Vipers- PvP Team

We'll settle this the old Navy way. First guy to die Loses!

Last edited by edalgo; 08-28-2014 at 09:46 AM.
Captain
# 7
09-01-2014, 03:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashdragon View Post
Sure it didn't say " You already have a ship by that name."?
I can confirm that "[3:08] You do not have a ship by that name." is an actual message. Just tried renaming the promotional Ambassador on the initial acquisition window and it refuses to work. Renaming it later still works normally.
-----------------======== Joined: January 2009 ========-----------------
Hate the look of the new Arc site? >>>Check out my redesign concept images<<<

Once again, UI feedback goes wholly ignored