Lt. Commander
# 21
02-17-2010, 10:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja_Pirate
This is very true.

EQ later had the most customizable user interface ever til WoW came out. I still chuckle whenever I see someone act as if Blizzard came up with the idea.

I re-skinned EQ so it had the interface from the game DOOM. Right down the the little guy's face getting bloodier as you took more damage. Some of the game buffs would give you the 'invincible' face.

The first time I logged into Starbase 01 here I zone-yelled "BAAA-ARK! You've ruined your own lands, you'll not ruin mine!"

Nobody there got it.

-np
Fippy!
Lt. Commander
# 22
02-17-2010, 10:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frakthefriendly
I just read this and man it set something off in me.

Old man rant /on

No!

This generation of MMO players are getting spoon fed and spoiled, but it is not your fault. I blame the parents (Devs) for spoon feeding you.

Go play EQ. NO quest in EQ was easy.

Even the starter quests, where it would tell you to go get 10 rat tails, could get you killed.

MMOs before WoW were hard. MMOs after are easy.

Don't get me wrong, I actually liked WoW. It had a lot of good features and was fun for a year or two, but the tough quests were rare.

[old man voice] In my day, we had to explore online worlds to even find quests and we liked it that way!

In EQ there was a massive world, with mulitiple continents, ships to sail on the open seas to get you there and mystery around every corner. I miss stepping out of a town and having a FULL world to run around in and not know where i am going. I was hoping this game was going to be like that for space travel.

I'm not saying old MMOs were perfect, God knows EQ had it's flaws, but the freedom to explore and the challenge of the quests made you pay attention to what you were doing.

Now a few years later, post WoW, we have sleeper quests, no death penalty, no exploration, no sense of adventure, no need for any strategy.

It's one thing to make online worlds player friendly, and EQ was sorely lacking there, but we have gone too far to ease the players challenges.

Old man rant /off

Now get off my lawn!
Excellent post! You have hit the nail on the head with how I view STO. It's just too simple and there is no exploration to speak of in a possibly infinite area - space.

'Ahhh, I feel much better now.....'
Lt. Commander
# 23
02-17-2010, 10:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by szurlo View Post
You get a space SoW

You mean BEG for hours in General Chat for a space SoW! lol
Lt. Commander
# 24
02-17-2010, 10:48 AM
totally agree!

Im not as old as you, only being 21, but i have been gaming since the age of 12 ish when i was introduced to consoles by my grandmother.

I ENJOY a challenge, i love difficult games. Sadly, theyre just isn't a difficulty anymore.

Its either:

- Ridiculously hard, I.E impossible for nearly everyone
- Ridiculously easy, I.E easy for anyone with skill

No middle ground. I recall Tibia, EQ, and other such mmo's (though tibia was a browser game) which had extremely difficult quests!

Risk was involved. You required skill to play games.

What happened?

WoW came along. WoW spoon feeds its players.

Since WoW, any player that 'leaves' WoW comes onto a new game and complains about how difficult it is. Most companies then dull down the game.

I mean, In PvP i got called a hacker for multi-targetting and killing two klingongs in 2v1 on space combat. It was easy, the idiot had stayed directly behind me while the other was directly infront, so i simply used my cannons front and aft phaser to kill them both.

Its a shame really. I was a competitive gamer, i competed in league for CS and CSS, and i have had my 'glory days' (though my clan never got into the top 20)

But im just...so ashamed of gamers when i see this:

**** online, quest - Find Rin. Witch turned her into a frog. Each frog has fliptitle names:

'Ugly frog' and ONE, JUST ONE has 'Cute frog'

zone chat was spammed like this:

"WHERE IS RAE?!?!?"
"omg which frog is rae?"
"WTF IS THIS ****, THERE IS NO RAE"

etc. etc. It was BLATANTLY obvious.

Same with STO, we hit open beta.

Developers had to put npc's in discussion the location of sulu ACROSS the starbase, because these kids couldn't locate him.

Despite, you know, the fact you have to see the other admiral, and that its clearly marked on both map and journal....

I miss the difficulty from the old closed test. On the LAST test, we had a revamp of the AI and difficulty. they were FLANKING us, they were using shields and abilities, and they were VERY difficult to kill. It was great.

But the forums lit up with cries of 'ITS TOO HARD' and they nerfed it for open. Then they nerfed it again for retail...

Take a look at me. I very rarely use shields. I pretty much put all power to weaponry and i lose shields eventually, but i rarely die. Its just too easy.

Hell they STILL havent given us a response as to a death penalty.

At the moment its an easy arcade game. You died? woops, respawn. Go on again !

Meaning the IMMENSE tactics they have put into the game (all sorts of skills and bonuses and manovours and such) are immediately nulled. Why bother? I can just zerg you.

*sigh*

Maybe, just maybe, they will put death penalty in to feel like a star trek world.

Im currently saddend by the fact i have a self repairing 100% invincable starship that never dies.

I really wanted to have to redock at spacedock to pick on new crew, to repair extremely damaged systems, etc, like i should have to !

its what bugged me about voyager. 99% of voyager was spent on a immortal ship that practically never took any lasting damage.

I guess the days of skilled gamers are gone ?

I recently picked up a fps game and went online. Took the sniper rifle. I was topping the scoreboards, and i wasn't even trying. It was as if i had been put against the new people to CS with an AWP and unlimited ammo =/

I want my difficulty back
Lt. Commander
# 25
02-17-2010, 10:49 AM
I don't know if I agree the missions should be harder across the board but they should certainly be more complex. As it stands we fight a little, or a lot, and then hit the F key till the mission success screen pops up. It is not good content. Its just a hamster wheel with Star Trek music playing in the background, some of the time its not ever that good.
Lt. Commander
# 26
02-17-2010, 10:52 AM
SOW PLZ.

SOW PLZ.

SOW PLZ.

SOW PLZ.

SOW PLZ.

SOW PLZ.

SOW PLZ.

SOW PLZ.

SOW PLZ.

SOW PLZ.

SOW PLZ.

SOW PLZ.

-np
Lt. Commander
# 27
02-17-2010, 10:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikarus View Post
You mean BEG for hours in General Chat for a space SoW! lol
Sorry, that's your problem. I was a Ranger
Lt. Commander
# 28
02-17-2010, 10:59 AM
I was a druid, later a beastlord as mains.

Biggest mistake of my EQ life. Learning the Spirit of Wolf spell and proceeding to excitedly announce in chat about it.

Augh.

I tried a bard for a couple of weeks but my fingers were like OMG they're all mangled and broken.

-np
Lt. Commander
# 29
02-17-2010, 10:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lithomed
I don't know if I agree the missions should be harder across the board but they should certainly be more complex. As it stands we fight a little, or a lot, and then hit the F key till the mission success screen pops up. It is not good content. Its just a hamster wheel with Star Trek music playing in the background, some of the time its not ever that good.
Ahh one more button masher who skips story and then moans the missions don't have substance lol.

Looking at this guys post history all he has done for 2 weeks is say how bad the game is yet hes on here and still playing the game rofl.

Some people have really empty life's.
Lt. Commander
# 30
02-17-2010, 11:00 AM
zone in

/ooc Camp check please

Some times I really do miss EQ, some of the mechanics in that game I do not miss however. Still remember the first time i headed to OOT to get a spell, was a long trip.