Lt. Commander
I am not only addressing issues for the purpose of saying change them but I am also offering a possible solution as how to fix them.

Leveling:

Leveling is way to fast. Leveling at this speed actually takes away from any sense of accomplishment for being to high ranked. A lieutenant 6 starting Klingon can see and Admiral 5 and say I'll be there in 4-6 weeks no problem. Wow has the same issue with fast leveling it makes your level so less meaningful. I remember playing Dragon Realms a text based MMORPG, and being a certain level ( circle ) there had so much more meaning because it took forever to level after a certain point. You should get from Level 1 to level 10 in a week but then after that it took a considerably long period of time to level, you might see level 20 in 2-3 weeks. Level 20 - 30 in that game might take you a month or 2 depending on how often you played. I would take you a long period of time to get somewhere in that game which is what made you have a feeling of pride for a certain character. Here in STO there is a severe lack of satisfaction for my characters, because it takes no time at all to get to where I previously was. By the time you have a character geared out or your ship geared out for what ever tier your in your already looking at the next level. There should be gear that is dependant on your level not your rank. a commander 5 should be able to get a little better gear then a commander 3 same for a commander 7. Triple the time it takes to level or make your rank extend into more levels.

Lieutenant 1 - 15
Lieutenant Commander. 16 - 30
Commander 31 - 45
Captain 46 - 60
And stop.

Admiral should yet to exist in the game beyond a NPC. Admiral would be reserved for a status or title not a rank. You would get it for completing a very hard end game 20 man fleet mission. Or you could get it for doing so many pvp type missions. Remember in wow how pvp Battle grounds once had a rank you would get based on who much you played and on how well you did in pvp. The same concept should be applied here. You get tokens for pvp and you can buy gear based on your current rank in the pvp. In wow you get titles for completing/accomplishing feats/missions. It should be the same in STO. Captains max out at 60 and you get Admiral or other titles based on what you have accomplished. You have to meet certain requirements to "EARN" these titles. Right now there just handed out like candy.

How to fix this?? Its a easy yet hard decision to make. Everyone should still be on the free 30 day subscription that you get for purchasing the game. Extend that free grace period until a time determined by you the company IE ( 1 March 2010 ) or ( 15 March 2010 and only charge half month subscription for 16 March 2010 thru 31 March 2010) so you can make the needed changes.

How to implement these changes. Another hard but needed decision the game is not even a month old and you have players who are max level. This is going to ruin the game in the long run having all these high levels so easily. You need to just make everyone start over. consider this still a open beta test period. Its obvious this game was released early for financial reasons, and to try to beat out other new MMORPG games ( star wars / the new wow release / diablo 3?) This game will not succeed if it is not done right. Don't be afraid as a company to say we pushed the game out to soon and we need to fix it. So many people around the world have bought STO so were not going any where. We want to see the game succeed just like you do as a company. Make the hard decision have a team on the side work on this leveling issue while continuing to run the game as is to catch identify and fix other UI, game play, or graphic issues that are arising. I can Tell you that as much as i love Star Trek I will not continue to pay and support the game as it currently is unless major changes are made.

Mechanics:

#1) The game mechanics in the game need to be revised to a certain point. In space combat the ships should have more freedom. Why can I only climb at a certain angle there is no restriction of gravity in space if i want to fly in a vertical circle i should be able to. If there is a enemy 15.5km above me I should be able to climb straight up and attack it from below as apposed to having to do a big spiral up "like I'm on a flight of stairs". Space combat needs to be less restrictive on what ships can do, we are in space the current system isn't realistic. We should be able to roll our cruiser to make our left shields face what was the right side and be flying upside down. This is space combat, 360 degree's of free movement is what a gravity free environment creates. This limited flight ability needs to be changed ASAP. I'm not saying that all ships should be able to do the same thing, one ships ability to roll or or turn should still be based on the size of the ship and the type of consoles, engines, and the deflector dish you have. But again any ship should be able to roll over to have a different shield face the enemy and we should be able to fly in any direction once we get our shipped turned in that direction. This flight system seems to 2 dimensional.

#2) For Klingons you need to make it so we can fire from stealth in space. In ground PvP when we attack from stealth it breaks our stealth much like a rogue in wow, why is the same not applied in space? When you are cloaked in space you should be able to fire upon a enemy ship and automatically de-cloak. Why do we have to click the cloak action button to de-cloak to attack. It just a waist of time and extremely annoying.

#3) Enable some type of macro for multiple functions to happen at once. Right now it seems that you can only do one thing at a time and that is killing game play. I cant hit space to fire all weapons while hitting F1 to arm high yield torps and hit tab to balance my shields. The game just isn't handling that many commands well. When I want to buff up for an attack I have to wait for 5 sec to get all my buffs up, F1 (High Yield), F2 (Attack Pattern Alpha), F3 (Emergency Power to Weapons), F4 (Energy Siphion), F5 (Rapid Cannon Fire) you cant hit them all at the same time because it wont register. macro's would fix this.

#4) Another issue is that quite often when a skill is used IE science team, engineering team, polarize hull, and attack pattern Alpha you get the on screen display over your ship that said skill is applied but no buff appears. The skill will do the 1 second cool down as if it is being used but then go back to being available to use and never apply. This needs to be looked at and needs to be fixed. On the same note I've also experienced that some skills that I click on with my mouse to use will not be used because I was spam clicking the skill. A easy fix for this is once a skill is used or clicked there there is no re clicking or canceling the skill, lock that button out for 1 second so double clicking does not happen which will prevent these skills we want to use from not being used.
--
~The best lessons learned are usually the hard ones~
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-17-2010, 10:47 AM
Space combat is a 2D design. The restrictions on turn rate and weapon arc size are how its balanced. If it was truly 3D it would break that.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-17-2010, 10:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZharTaMad View Post
I am not only addressing issues for the purpose of saying change them but I am also offering a possible solution as how to fix them.

#2) For Klingons you need to make it so we can fire from stealth in space. In ground PvP when we attack from stealth it breaks our stealth much like a rogue in wow, why is the same not applied in space? When you are cloaked in space you should be able to fire upon a enemy ship and automatically de-cloak. Why do we have to click the cloak action button to de-cloak to attack. It just a waist of time and extremely annoying.
The quick answer to this is that the game has to follow canon to some degree, and as far as I can remember if your charged a weapon in cloak you would become detectable or there was not enough power to do both. I don't recall the exact reason and I am sure someone will fill us in but I want to say that I am 99% positive that it was not possible in the show or movies.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-17-2010, 11:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadezilla
The quick answer to this is that the game has to follow canon to some degree, and as far as I can remember if your charged a weapon in cloak you would become detectable or there was not enough power to do both. I don't recall the exact reason and I am sure someone will fill us in but I want to say that I am 99% positive that it was not possible in the show or movies.
It looks like what he's saying is that it should just auto-decloak rather than having to click the cloak button first, and then fire. I noticed the same thing with the fed mask energy signature -- it locks out all of your weapons until you click it again to de-toggle it. Auto-decloaking is definitely something I could be on-board with.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-17-2010, 11:37 AM
Quote:
You need to just make everyone start over. consider this still a open beta test period.
ROFL You are hilarious.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-17-2010, 11:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIgmo
It looks like what he's saying is that it should just auto-decloak rather than having to click the cloak button first, and then fire. I noticed the same thing with the fed mask energy signature -- it locks out all of your weapons until you click it again to de-toggle it. Auto-decloaking is definitely something I could be on-board with.
Then I totally misunderstood and apologies.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-17-2010, 11:55 AM
Quote:
If there is a enemy 15.5km above me I should be able to climb straight up and attack it from below as apposed to having to do a big spiral up "like I'm on a flight of stairs".
This, to me, is the most annoying and baffling thing about space combat.

I doubt that you'll ever get a player base to agree to start over, even considering that the high levels didn't work very hard to get there, and all they can do now anyway is start a new character. They will never be able to make the changes this game needs in time to make that even close to viable.

Slower leveling would be fine, but then what would you do to level? There are only so many missions and most you can only do once. Would you want to repeat the same missions over and over again to level up? There is no sandbox play.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-17-2010, 11:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zagiel
Space combat is a 2D design. The restrictions on turn rate and weapon arc size are how its balanced. If it was truly 3D it would break that.
Someone else finally sees this we are actually in a virtual 3d enviro its not real 3d. I got called stupid for mentioning this before.

I hope Cisco dosnt find out im stupid... They may pull my CCIE.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-17-2010, 02:26 PM
What else are we suppose to do then just assume that this game will wash once the next decently built mmo or even game for that matter get released. I keep telling my self thatnk god I didn't buy a life time subscription. I do not see this game lasting that long as it is.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-17-2010, 02:32 PM
You are playing the wrong game Im afraid.