Lt. Commander
# 31
02-17-2010, 02:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugazi
Any more depth in the crafting would be more than welcome.

Personally, I'd like to see reverse engineering for ship components.
Re'ing starship components in SWG was sweet. Sad that newer MMOs don't even bother trying to come up with a crafting system even close.
Lt. Commander
# 32
02-17-2010, 02:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugazi
Any more depth in the crafting would be more than welcome.

Personally, I'd like to see reverse engineering for ship components.
That would be awesome!! Take apart a disrupter array and you get a bunch of weapon batteries, or maybe a tactical console...

Take apart shields and you get Sci stuff.
Lt. Commander
# 33
02-17-2010, 02:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zilag
Just picking out this one thing in the event that Cryptic does do a traditionalist crafting system--have you played a game where you had to schlep everything all over creation? It was a total nightmare of not-fun in EVE.

Oh, neat, I had fun mining and chatting with people, fighting the odd player or NPC pirate for 3 hours one evening. Let's see, I got 175,000 units of Unobtainium for my share of the trouble in the starbase in Sector 245. Where can I sell it for the best return nearby? Let's see, Sector 251 has a good rate. The best close by!

You load up your cargo ship. Which can carry only 20,000 units. It takes you 15 minutes each direction.

*insert phaser in mouth*
Yes, I have and it was a lot of fun. It was called SWG pre-CU (not pre-NGE). Heck there was a point in SWG when you had to run between cities as they hadn't put vechiles in the game yet. There wasn't a master listing for items for sale in the universe. They had an entire sub-crafting game for people that wanted to specilaize in craft vice combat. Then there was the sub sub game of running between sales terminals. It was a hoot,

Nobody has to craft, it's just fun for people that would like to specialize in crafting to allow them to specialize and to setup a system of inter-relationships between players. There seems to be in many games that they have to be all things for all people and not true specaility, I propose the exact opposite a game should allow players to develop their own niche in which they can excel, but there are trade offs for that niche, which will result in inter-action between players if the niches are consrtucted dependent upon each other. That was one of the great things about early SWG, If I said I had a FWG Pistol crafted by AsianSenastion then everybody would be in awe of the very high quality weapon I was armed with. Just about anybody could make an FWG but Asian made sure he was at a high level and made the best. Then acess to the weapons themselves became a challenge as you had to find the right termainl to buy them. It made for a great RP enviroment, insteraction among players and fun!

I'm sorry your previous game experince found this disappointing, but my game play was extremly supportive of this concept.
Lt. Commander
# 34
02-17-2010, 02:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shayde View Post
You should be able to research design improvements that can enhance gear you have, or should be able to create ANY object you analyze and learn how to make.
Better still, you can only analyze things to gain the 'blueprint' if you have the science/engineering/tactical know-how levels amongst you and/or your Boffs.
Lt. Commander
# 35
02-17-2010, 03:16 PM
my vote goes to crafting consumables - or rather replicating them. Perhaps you need energy, data materials - perhaps some of teh anomaly cr ap we collect>? Ship batteries, shield batteries, hypo's energy cells etc.
Lt. Commander
# 36
02-17-2010, 04:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by steevodeevo View Post
my vote goes to crafting consumables - or rather replicating them. Perhaps you need energy, data materials - perhaps some of teh anomaly cr ap we collect>? Ship batteries, shield batteries, hypo's energy cells etc.
Good idea..does any at cryptic understand just how energy intensive it is to create antimatter?...or how much is required for a warp core?...or the fact that its not an infinate resource on board a ship?

An entire subgame could be created around R&D from an earlier time point forward, not to mention instellar trade (cargo for profit) of high value low density items.

I am afraid what we have is simply a star trek skin on their standard engine...which is perhaps all that could be managed for a start...but it would be nice to know what the grander plan is if any.

I hate the instanced universe...the map should be open ended and when a new system it 'discovered' its state should be generated and stored. All the planets etc should be there...and class M should be appropriately rare.

Planets should be accessible for player residences and families should be allowed...

And the list goes on...lets face it...we have but a shell of what could or should have been. Again perhaps its all that can be managed quickly...but I for one would NOT object to a universe reset and character wipe for the sort of star trek online we wanted all along...
Lt. Commander
# 37
02-17-2010, 05:08 PM
There is a lot of material in Star Trek to sift through for crafting ideas. The main things I would like to see are crafting of ship components. Much like what we see as loot drops now. Also, weapons, and tools. I would like to see a crafting and farming system implemented like one that was in SWG before the dreaded CU.

Dilithium and Trilithium are necessary compnents in Star Trek. Having a need for them and for their mining should be essential in the game. Having different grades of Dilithium should also be a factor. Refining and then selling. I enjoyed farming in SWG the most before they nerfed the need for us in the combat upgrade. Believe it or not there are those out there that get their kicks from the little things other than combat.

Another factor is metals whether they are for building or economical values. This is where space mining can also be a huge factor. mining asteroids or planets. Staking claim and then having to defend them would be fun. Also scavenging, again another opportunity for staking claim and then defending.

There is a need for more professions in this game other than just Starfleet Captain. Mercenarry, Miner, Bounty Hunter, Explorer, Merchant. Yes it sounds a lot like SWG but these compnents were also a part of Star Trek. Ferengis were the most aggressive merchants of the galaxy, Klingons used bounty hunters to bring their wanted to justice (ie Archer). Mining Asteroids for metals, Dilithium, or even Latinum. Searching gas clouds for mineral components or gases that could be converted to fuel.

There are a whole slew of potentials for this game.
Lt. Commander
# 38
02-17-2010, 05:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotsman View Post
Good idea..does any at cryptic understand just how energy intensive it is to create antimatter?...or how much is required for a warp core?...or the fact that its not an infinate resource on board a ship?

An entire subgame could be created around R&D from an earlier time point forward, not to mention instellar trade (cargo for profit) of high value low density items.

I am afraid what we have is simply a star trek skin on their standard engine...which is perhaps all that could be managed for a start...but it would be nice to know what the grander plan is if any.

I hate the instanced universe...the map should be open ended and when a new system it 'discovered' its state should be generated and stored. All the planets etc should be there...and class M should be appropriately rare.

Planets should be accessible for player residences and families should be allowed...

And the list goes on...lets face it...we have but a shell of what could or should have been. Again perhaps its all that can be managed quickly...but I for one would NOT object to a universe reset and character wipe for the sort of star trek online we wanted all along...
Star Trek SIMS would be mindblowingly awesome... but only if they didnt disney-fy it for kiddies and added combat like we have now.
Lt. Commander
# 39
02-17-2010, 05:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zilag
Just picking out this one thing in the event that Cryptic does do a traditionalist crafting system--have you played a game where you had to schlep everything all over creation? It was a total nightmare of not-fun in EVE.

Oh, neat, I had fun mining and chatting with people, fighting the odd player or NPC pirate for 3 hours one evening. Let's see, I got 175,000 units of Unobtainium for my share of the trouble in the starbase in Sector 245. Where can I sell it for the best return nearby? Let's see, Sector 251 has a good rate. The best close by!

You load up your cargo ship. Which can carry only 20,000 units. It takes you 15 minutes each direction.

*insert phaser in mouth*
That was also one thing that drove me batty about eve. SWG I thought did it right with player merchants, player malls, and player cities. You didn't just go to another space station that looks like all the others. You go to towns designed by players and into individual housing or player malls. Each had their own distinct atmosphere, anything from an empty house with a vendor terminal to elaborate player malls with exotic displays of the rarest stuff you could find in the game (which was usually of a decorative quality).

I know some (maybe even a lot of) people hated it, but it developed a strong sense of community, which is what mmos really come down to in the end anyways.
Lt. Commander
# 40
02-17-2010, 06:02 PM
Tabula Rasa's crafting system would fit STO well. The current system acts nearly like it, were you find a base white item and upgrade it.

For those that never played tabula rasa, basically you take a white/green/blue/grape and upgrade one of its stats at a time with a chance at failure. The chance gets exponentially larger as the strength of the item increases. So going green to blue would be a 20% chance to fail, but going from epic to stronger epic might be 70% to fail (destroy the item).