Lt. Commander
# 31
02-17-2010, 12:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan99
Cryptic already owns the rights to any characters you create andor bios you give them. This is no different and is how it worked in City of Heroes, both with characters and their mission system. Don't create anything you aren't prepared to give away.
No no no, this isnt cryptics they dont own star trek, therfore you will not be able to create missions, CBS or whoever owns the licence is the people they answer to.
they WILL NOT allow player created content.
Lt. Commander
# 32
02-17-2010, 12:31 PM
I think City of Heroes fixed a lot of the exploit problems with Mission Architect. The XP you get from killing the custom critters is reduced from normal XP you would get vs in game enemies. I think if Cryptic took that lesson and implimented a Holodeck creation system it would be a good thing. Although I do agree a system like this needs to hold off for a while and give the main game some time to develop. I can't think of any MMO that launched with or soon after came out with player created content.

Give the game time to run its course and get its lore and design set. Once things are really nailed down and the game has its true voice then you can add something like this for the players to expand on it and tell their own related stories. In general though I totally agree with a player created content system. It really has done wonders for CoH especially with the new contests and guest author stuff they do. Imagine a Holodeck System where a former Trek writter comes in a creates an arc we can play through. Bring it on, just not yet.
Lt. Commander
# 33
02-17-2010, 12:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kassidus View Post
No no no, this isnt cryptics they dont own star trek, therfore you will not be able to create missions, CBS or whoever owns the licence is the people they answer to.
You seem to think the words "it would be more profitable" would somehow be countered with some nonsense about artistic integrity at a boardroom meeting.

It wouldn't. If their controlling all the missions is more profitable, they'll do that. If not, they'll do the other.

At any rate, it's still a terrible idea for multiple reasons.
Lt. Commander
# 34
02-17-2010, 12:32 PM
Quote:
Actually, if you peeked at Nagus' link back there you'd see two separate developer quotes talking about the desirability and planned implementation of player generated content.

You seem to think that if players make content Cryptic will just pack it up and not release anything themselves. I doubt that will be the case. They've got lots of their own ideas and very good writers. This will just be extra and that's why, in my version, the polished stuff would just go into Exploration. You'd still have Episode missions from Cryptic.

The real weak spot is the lack of variety in Exploration mode. There sheer quantity and unpredictability is more important than detailed storylines and fleshed out characters. There's a place for both but they're not the same place.

Edit: And a brief note, Architect did have serious issues and the main one was trying to bribe people to use it. Folks got fixated on the bribes and almost completely overlooked the actual function of Architect - to create honest to god entertainment. SWG's Storyteller (I haven't messed with Chronicles yet) bypassed that problem by offering no rewards whatsoever. Almost everything folks did with it done for love of storytelling for friends or to spruce up big player made events.

The lesson here is don't give folks bribes to create unscreened content if you expect quality content. Only offer rewards for missions good enough that developers can actually put them into the game after looking at them.
Lt. Commander
# 35
02-17-2010, 12:37 PM
Quote:
Really. Maybe you should tell Craig Z that so he can stop saying that player created content is something he wants to do.

And Cryptic owns the rights to anything you make in the game.
Lt. Commander
# 36
02-17-2010, 12:47 PM
Quote:
You Sir are not very well informed its called OPEN SOURCE CONTENT and if you do not charge for it you do not need a license.

I can go make a Star Wars television show if i wanted and air it on youtube like the million other star wars fans that have done this and not have a problem with licenses.
Lt. Commander
# 37
02-17-2010, 12:50 PM
Quote:
The fact that Star Wars Galaxies(developed by SOE) has player created content even though the SW brand is owned by Lucas Arts proves you are wrong.
Lt. Commander
# 38
02-17-2010, 12:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torue
You Sir are not very well informed its called OPEN SOURCE CONTENT and if you do not charge for it you do not need a license.

I can go make a Star Wars television show if i wanted and air it on youtube like the million other star wars fans that have done this and not have a problem with licenses.
That's really not how it works.
Lt. Commander
# 39
02-17-2010, 12:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
The fact that Star Wars Galaxies(developed by SOE) has player created content even though the SW brand is owned by Lucas Arts proves you are wrong.
From what I've heard, the SWG system is nothing like the CoH architect - all it allows you to do is assemble pre-approved, developer generated elements into a package.

And honestly, that's all that the exploration system does.
Lt. Commander
# 40
02-17-2010, 12:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenBrillig
From what I've heard, the SWG system is nothing like the CoH architect - all it allows you to do is assemble pre-approved, developer generated elements into a package.

And honestly, that's all that the exploration system does.
How is that any different from COH? Arent all the elements your using to create the mission "pre-approved, developer generated"? Are you saying players actually model and create new NPCs and locations that werent created by the Devs?