Lt. Commander
# 1 what i miss in this mmorpg
02-17-2010, 11:59 AM
i realy miss a important onlinegame stuffs.

at most off all, a real crafting system... this memory alpha stuff is boring, for me this is a tier 0 crafting system.
WoW is a bit better, a tier 1 system (gather and build with some componets that also cames from ressources). UO (look how old it is....) is much complexer than wow so a tier 2 system (qualiy system, out-off-combat items). the best of the best is SWG (rotating ressurce fields, many crafter to crafter component trade, every ressource(sometime a special named ressurce is only 2weeks there and than 2years not) has individual stats, stats push the component quality, skill push the quality. gather ressurces at ground (hand or mining buildings) and space, many many out-off-combat items, player not a npc makes the look changes, must i say more?)

so pls pls pls, raise the quality from the sto crafting system, maybe like this:
tier 1:
- weapon slots can be used for gather systems
- solar system can get a asteroid ring
- special ressurce scaner (at deflector slot) can detekt ressurces that are in range (5-10km)
- ground missions can get additional ressurce spots
- anomalys can be more rare and used as special ressurces
. battery slots can be used for cargospace
- crafting more difficult items than the rewards (other bonus stats / only at one bonus many points somethink like this)
- crafting additional randomizing stuff for ship look
tier 2:
- crafting components that are neaded from other specialized crafter
- crafting with quality system (skill, additional points at stats and special name)
- crafting deco items, uniforms, bridge stuff, robot pet? ....
- reserve engenering (get ressurces or components / get points to learn this schematic)
tier 3:
- Crafting with quality system (ressurces have stats and periodic respawm, some days in a month, half year, year...)
. crafting big stuff with a group of player, ships(construktor, additional class ships), starbases (pvp, housing, produktion fabrikations), mining bases, fleet mothership

thats my biggest wish... and sry for my english

after swg i miss the housing, so this would be my second upgrade wish

and pls tell me, for what are the mk 1 3 5 7 9 items???? looks like there are only there to push up the item count....

so and a real important stuff that can be down in the next days, make pls fleet raid grps possible.... it s**ks to try make a "boss" fight with randoms that cant read or what ever....

an mmo is allways more than the orginal...
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-17-2010, 12:09 PM
Well the problem with crafting in STO is that crafting doesn't really fit within the Star Trek canon. Everything can be instantly replicated using only energy, so any crafting system would be odd within this universe.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-17-2010, 12:10 PM
I can just speak for myself. Seriously...there's enough gathering to do in the game as it is. Gear for BO's yourself and your ship. Skills for yourself and your BO's. I really -hate- crafting and I think it was fun when it was new back in the ultima days. Every MMO I've played crafting was the same dull crusty bore that it was in the last game.

And please, for the love of Spock. If a system is implemented do not model it after WoW's "farm until your eyes bleed so you can sell a bunch of trash you'd never use."
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-17-2010, 12:20 PM
Never been a fan of crafting. I prefer to play MMOs for the game play and the stories. Not that I'm against a crafting system in games, I know many like it and use it and I am not against goint on the Exchange and purchasing something that someone else has crafted. In general though it's not for me.

If others want it upgraded I'm totally fine with that, so long as it isn't something you end up having to do so you can get gear that you can't otherwise get from an enemy drop. I can understand there being slightly different stats but I wouldn't want to see rare type gear that has better stats than most anything out there but the only way to aquire it is to craft it yourself. As others have said though crafting doesn't seem to really fit in the context of the Star Trek lore. I don't recall seeing Kirk, Picard, et al, crafting things other than holoprograms for their enjoyment. Not for me, but if others want it /signed so long as I'm not forced to use it, I want to play the game and level as I do it not spend time gathering stuff, crafting stuff, and getting nothing level wise out of it.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-17-2010, 12:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcars View Post
Never been a fan of crafting. I prefer to play MMOs for the game play and the stories. Not that I'm against a crafting system in games, I know many like it and use it and I am not against goint on the Exchange and purchasing something that someone else has crafted. In general though it's not for me.

If others want it upgraded I'm totally fine with that, so long as it isn't something you end up having to do so you can get gear that you can't otherwise get from an enemy drop. I can understand there being slightly different stats but I wouldn't want to see rare type gear that has better stats than most anything out there but the only way to aquire it is to craft it yourself. As others have said though crafting doesn't seem to really fit in the context of the Star Trek lore. I don't recall seeing Kirk, Picard, et al, crafting things other than holoprograms for their enjoyment. Not for me, but if others want it /signed so long as I'm not forced to use it, I want to play the game and level as I do it not spend time gathering stuff, crafting stuff, and getting nothing level wise out of it.
Now that would be a cool feature... allow us to write our own holosuite programs rofl.

Like the OP I loved the crafting in SWG, the crafting in WoW was mediocre and I ended up buying the materials as I hate farming for stuff like that. **** was a bit better in that area whereby you could level up while gathering as well as getting skill points in the gathering itself. Crafting was pretty good too in **** as well but there were a few high level bad points.

But as has been said. The federation at least didn't have that sort of need with the replicators being available. Only off world non federation people still worked for a living etc and made stuff to sell. Now, if they introduced the ability to create a non federation character that traded/crafted etc and had no real contact with the federation except via trading then it could be a good enhancement / option.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-17-2010, 12:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandajuice View Post
Well the problem with crafting in STO is that crafting doesn't really fit within the Star Trek canon. Everything can be instantly replicated using only energy, so any crafting system would be odd within this universe.
This is true to an extent. there are a great many things, however, in the STU that cannont be replicated. These things are generally used to create the cooler things in startrek.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-17-2010, 01:40 PM
wow crafting system was crap, but i look more to the system from swg or eve. pve and pvp are only the combat part of a game, what is with the economy? only with loot? thats boring.

yes u can replicate mostly all, if we start by the food there was 1000 times sayed "this dont taste like the orginal", i a think many complex item cant also not be replicated cos a special material was in it or a special typ of energy was used.
a replicator can only do standart stuff, why not a crafter can make this item special with better features?

Quote:
I can just speak for myself. Seriously...there's enough gathering to do in the game as it is. Gear for BO's yourself and your ship. Skills for yourself and your BO's. I really -hate- crafting and I think it was fun when it was new back in the ultima days. Every MMO I've played crafting was the same dull crusty bore that it was in the last game.

And please, for the love of Spock. If a system is implemented do not model it after WoW's "farm until your eyes bleed so you can sell a bunch of trash you'd never use."
hm farming items... i am now commander, so bored from the alltime same mission buildup, (i was realy happy after many mission to see a new buildup in a mission), gear farming? i dont need the rewards, spent a hour at the day with the auctions and i have so many energycradits that i buy all i want...
crafting is a must have, i am not a player that can all time go fight and make missions, i like also to trade or create stuff and sell it as "my produkt" i hate it to farm ressurces, but for a real crafter is this only a need at the start, later only buying the ressurces. there also many ppl that enjoy this stupid farming, they dont have a other option or idee to make credits.

and if i have this right in mind, ALL stuff in the captain rooms was real, not replicated, only the earl grey tee and sometimes a musik instrumt as a new freetime tool.

if it be possible to build starbases for housing, there can also be a replicator crafter that desgins the items for the database from the appartment.

the idee from a holodeck programming is also nice

and why the game have a credit system? there is no money system in the stu. so the break with the orginal is there. and the most part of the credits go in the trade system, and there are mostly loot item not replicated (rewards if u want)
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-17-2010, 01:42 PM
There are a lot of quests where you have to scan for some rare material or metals and such. Why not make it possible to mine those items while you're scanning and be able to craft your own ship items?

Or better yet have and ultra rare drop of special ship blueprints and then you have to gather those items to build it. But make it so the items to make it aren't a common to find item.