Lt. Commander
# 11
02-17-2010, 12:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master_Exploder
I agree I would like to see inner ship events, maybe a repelling a boarding party or what have you. However, crew personalities are cultures? Knowing your Bridge officers? More in depth system encounters? Again, more of a single player RPG request, you can't expect that each bridge officer is going to have their own storyline, that is flat out unimaginable, especially for how many Bridge officers are out there. There are episodic missions that offer the storyline, having the random encounters offer rich storyline would be along the lines of having each Bridge officer have their own unique storyline. I would say that you are expecting too much.
you could do alot of that in an MMO. especially in such a heavily instanced one such as this. Take a look at Bioware's The Old Republic. this is exactly what they are doing. and its the same game engine.
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-17-2010, 12:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master_Exploder
Character progression? In an MMO? You're joking right? Character progression is a part of RPG, but again can not be done in an MMO because there are other players playing that game other than you, meaning the game can not change based on decisions you make. Most MMOs have a worse story that the one present in STO. Everquest and Everquest 2? No story. WoW? Terrible story in the two expansions. EVE? Free-for-all, no story. WAR? Generic story.

Need I go on?
no one said anything about changing the world around you. but leveling up in starfleet ranks is character progression no?

EDIT also rep systems in MMOs
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-17-2010, 12:49 PM
I loved the SFC games.
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-17-2010, 12:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GbeHlpnU View Post
...I was hoping for Bridge Commander / Klingon Academy on roids. BC (with all the mods, KM in particular) should have been used as a "model" for Star Trek Online...
Hell yes! That would truly be awesome!
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-17-2010, 01:21 PM
I'm tempted to agree with Master Exploder. I have yet to play an MMO where there is any real story progression. Every MMO is just a background story with repetitive quests. In WoW, how many times did you have to go kill 10 of something or click on 5 of something? Your character never progresses at all except in skills and gear. Developers havent figured out a way yet to allow much character progression in a game world that cannot really grow because it isnt about you alone, but 500,000 other gamers.

The Old Republic will not be much different from what I have seen. After a week people will be wanting more content from that game as well.
Lt. Commander
# 16
02-17-2010, 01:24 PM
I agree with everything. Ive cancelled as well. Im RA 5 and there is no point in paying until they add at least twice as much content as there is now. I got 2 weeks of playtime though and it was moderatly fun.
Lt. Commander
# 17
02-17-2010, 01:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by reefman View Post
I'm tempted to agree with Master Exploder. I have yet to play an MMO where there is any real story progression. Every MMO is just a background story with repetitive quests. In WoW, how many times did you have to go kill 10 of something or click on 5 of something? Your character never progresses at all except in skills and gear. Developers havent figured out a way yet to allow much character progression in a game world that cannot really grow because it isnt about you alone, but 500,000 other gamers.

The Old Republic will not be much different from what I have seen. After a week people will be wanting more content from that game as well.
obviously you've not played past burning crusade, WOTLK tried to get the story elements in there...carrying on ******** IIIs story... there's always gonna be repetitive quests anyway...hell even a FPS or RTS is the same task over and over, thats what games do. Anything that is an RPG has the potential to grow your character. an MMO could easily use a morality meter in how NPCs react to you, even wow does this to a point of how NPCs react depending on your rep.

They could have allowed us to be the red barons of starfleet if we chose or the diplomatic Picard type... quests can have multiple endings.

As far as it being an MMO, in the case of most, you usually only have to group while running dungeons, tasks you cannot do alone (ala fleet actions). Alot of the rest of the meat of the game can be morality changing quests... and the 20+ seasons of Star Trek are full of ideas. Quest chains could start with hey we're ordered to check out some anomaly in this system, or respond to distress calls and carry on from there with a short episode like story.

this would work as in the context of Starfleet its absurd that 5 ships are all in the same system on routine patrol....
Lt. Commander
# 18
02-17-2010, 01:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firesaber View Post
obviously you've not played past burning crusade, WOTLK tried to get the story elements in there...carrying on ******** IIIs story... there's always gonna be repetitive quests anyway...hell even a FPS or RTS is the same task over and over, thats what games do. Anything that is an RPG has the potential to grow your character. an MMO could easily use a morality meter in how NPCs react to you, even wow does this to a point of how NPCs react depending on your rep.

They could have allowed us to be the red barons of starfleet if we chose or the diplomatic Picard type... quests can have multiple endings.

As far as it being an MMO, in the case of most, you usually only have to group while running dungeons, tasks you cannot do alone (ala fleet actions). Alot of the rest of the meat of the game can be morality changing quests... and the 20+ seasons of Star Trek are full of ideas. Quest chains could start with hey we're ordered to check out some anomaly in this system, or respond to distress calls and carry on from there with a short episode like story.

this would work as in the context of Starfleet its absurd that 5 ships are all in the same system on routine patrol....
I played WoW well into ICC being released. I still fail to see where the character progression you spoke of is. You still do the same quests that everyone else does with the exact same outcome as everyone else. Of course there is a story, but its just tacked on in the background.

I see what your saying. but like i said a developer hasnt found a way to make a MMO like that yet.
Lt. Commander
# 19
02-17-2010, 01:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by reefman View Post
I played WoW well into ICC being released. I still fail to see where the character progression you spoke of is. You still do the same quests that everyone else does with the exact same outcome as everyone else. Of course there is a story, but its just tacked on in the background.

I see what your saying. but like i said a developer hasnt found a way to make a MMO like that yet.
I wasnt saying WOW so much had it, but some of the systems they have in place lead towards it, or even the illusion of it (like the Death Knight area and the soon to come Worgen and Goblin areas)

lol, i'd like to even just see them (and i mean MMO developers in general) try to add more character developement cause even as far as MMO fare goes...STO is like the top ramen of MMO quest selection, and the character skill tree may as well not exist....

Just cause everyone is technically doing the same quests does not mean you cant have the illusion that you are out there making a difference.
Lt. Commander
# 20
02-17-2010, 01:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firesaber View Post
I wasnt saying WOW so much had it, but some of the systems they have in place lead towards it, or even the illusion of it (like the Death Knight area and the soon to come Worgen and Goblin areas)

lol, i'd like to even just see them (and i mean MMO developers in general) try to add more character developement cause even as far as MMO fare goes...STO is like the top ramen of MMO quest selection, and the character skill tree may as well not exist....

Just cause everyone is technically doing the same quests does not mean you cant have the illusion that you are out there making a difference.
i know. some good points. suprisingly i find that STO has some of the best RPG elements out of any MMO to date. lol. strange how different people see things differently the biggest things i find is being able to write character bios about you and your crew and the log.