Lt. Commander
# 1 STO Crafting - Waste of Time?
02-16-2010, 05:40 PM
I'm sure many of you have went through this game of hoops and realized all your effort in trying to unlock the three Levels of STO crafting is a waste of time.

Level 1: Tier 2 Gear. The Kits and Weapons are Helpful.

Level 2: Some stuff is good, but your Mission Rewards are better.

Level 3: After going through Hundreds of Thousands of Credits and Hours of competing for Sample Spawns, you learn that you get better rewards from the Exploration or PvP Vendors. And certainly inferior to the Antiproton Gear that you get for doing Exploration content in the Gamma Orionis sector.

So what do you suggest Cryptic do, to improve this lackluster system?
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-16-2010, 06:09 PM
I don't think it was a well thought out system
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-16-2010, 06:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zissky View Post
I don't think it was a well thought out system
It wasn't thought out. It's not even a true crafting system. It was put in just so Cryptic could claim STO had crafting. It's a PR choice not a game design one. Thus the lack of depth, confusing interface, lack of progress bar, poor rewards and no relation to Star Trek lore or gameplay.

~ Foulwin
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-16-2010, 06:15 PM
No point in fixing it, it would be redundant and pointless even if it were easy to make items and not confusing and ignored like now.

There are at least two easier, better ways to get gear as you alluded to. Just don't waste more resources overhauling it, put them to more important issues.

We can all just continue to avoid the "crafting" anyway.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-16-2010, 07:05 PM
I think they should incorporate part of what they have now with the experimenting system that they had in SWG.

In otherwords, you should be able to use the anomilous material through experimentation in an attempt to improve item stats or add bonuses. The rarer the material, the better the outcome with a lower chance to fail. If you fail in experimentation, you risk actually reducing the item's current stats.

You could break this into specializations, too - Personal Weapons/Ship Weapons, Kits/Consoles, Personal Armor/Ship Shields.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-16-2010, 07:09 PM
What crafting?
You can't waste time on something that doesn't exist.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-16-2010, 07:12 PM
The game has crafting? I've only seen a store where you turn in things you find and get things back.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-16-2010, 07:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackRifle
What crafting?
Exactly. Why does everyone keep calling this crafting? It's an item trade-in system, not crafting.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-16-2010, 07:18 PM
MMO's almost always benefit from crafting because it gives players something else to do when they don't feel like pew-pew. In the more ambitious systems it even helps the economy. There's no reason they can't build on what they've got now and develop it into a more mature crafting system. As it is now, it's just a silly diversion that is baffling.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-16-2010, 07:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lethalblade View Post
Exactly. Why does everyone keep calling this crafting? It's an item trade-in system, not crafting.
Crafting systems are trading in resources/components for a finished product.