Lt. Commander
It's really my only main complaint about the game. In order to get all the gear to soup up my tier 2 ship, I have to do over 20 exploration missions, which alone is enough to reach commander, by which point there's no point in souping up my old ship anymore. This is silly. There should at least be a much higher threshold for learning ability and smaller skill point gains. It shouldn't even be possible to reach Admiral in a month.

Hell, Admiral shouldn't even be in the game, it's basically a guy who runs Starfleet and I don't think players should have that honor unless they go through hell and back. Captain should be the highest rank. That said, I wouldn't mind seeing every rank span 20 levels instead of 10, and the skills costing a little more with skill rewards coming in a little less. I'm just levelling way too fast for my liking. I have limited play time, yet I'm already Lt. Cmdr. 5 and have yet to even start my exploration missions to gear up my tier 2 ship. This is ridiculous. Leveling is way too fast in this game. It should take at least three months to hit max level. That's one of the problems in World of ********: leveling was way too easy. I wish Cryptic had just gone a different route and made it harder to gain levels.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-16-2010, 07:50 PM
I agree, it just take 2 weeks of general gameplay to go from an Ensign all the way to Admiral 5. And if any content is added, it's just going for the Admirals. People should be level grinding by taking on Deep Space Encounter, Exploration or even PVP missions.

Also, this grinding gives people a reason to socialize and make friends, than playing all the time solo.

As for the Admiral Rank, I agree. At the way it's going we will see More Admiral Ranks (1 Pip, 2 Pips, 3 Pips, 4 Pips), then what? Super Admirals? And what of the ships? Work our way up to the Enterprise J? :p

I could easily seen them add the Lt JG Rank, and command the current Tier 2 Ships, and add another Tier and add all those canonical ships that yet to be added on.
Lt. Commander
# 3 DIsagree
02-16-2010, 07:53 PM
Star Trek has a huge mass appeal. Much larger than Cryptic's previous 2 MMOs (CoH and CO). Thus STO will bring in a LOT more casual gamers than those other two combined. That means a LOT of people that are more focused on the experience than just attaining the next level. Also they tend to be older, and have full time jobs. This means that getting to that next level will take longer for them than people that MMOs are normally geared toward (Kids, that have a lot more free time).

By increasing the time it takes to gain a new level/grade/rank, they may please the 10-20% of the power gamers, while frustrating the rest of the casual gamers. Keeping in mind that those power gamers, no matter what the leveling pace, will find the most efficient methods to get the highest level, best gear, and be gone in 6 months or less.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-16-2010, 07:55 PM
leveling speed is fine imho.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-16-2010, 07:57 PM
That's what I fear. I fear I'll hit the maximum and have nothing left to do. I'm a very casual player only player a few hours a night and I'm still advancing really fast. I don't like it. I want to savor each rank. I want the exploration missions to actually be the focus at times. As it stands, though, I need something like 2000 badges to pimp out my tier 2, which will take my halfway to Commander to get. Then I'll be halfway through Captain by the time I pimp out my tier 3 ship. It's disheartening.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-16-2010, 08:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamGoddessLindsey View Post
That's what I fear. I fear I'll hit the maximum and have nothing left to do. I'm a very casual player only player a few hours a night and I'm still advancing really fast. I don't like it. I want to savor each rank. I want the exploration missions to actually be the focus at times. As it stands, though, I need something like 2000 badges to pimp out my tier 2, which will take my halfway to Commander to get. Then I'll be halfway through Captain by the time I pimp out my tier 3 ship. It's disheartening.
"a few hours a night" is not a casual gamer. I am talking about the masses that get 2+6 hours on weekends, while their week days are spent with jobs/kids/etc.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-16-2010, 08:03 PM
I have to agree with the OP and its exactly what i stated in my cancled subscription message today. The leveling is way to easy. While there are people that are slower i think the majority of players even playing casualy will reach the end before the free 30 days is even up.
People say i rushed to the end, which is totaly not true i played the game and did all missions up to my current level and alot of missions multiple times. I was doing missions to try and get upgraded equipment and by the time iw ould obtain the badges required i was already in the next ship.
People say go pvp then who wants to wait 1-2 hours just to get into a pvp match.
The game is fun i had a blast but its way to easy to level.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-16-2010, 08:10 PM
I agree. Actually I think that the leveling curve is actually not normal line, but it is accelerating - higher the tier, then lower time needed to lvl. This is at least for me. Seems like in Captain I need twice the experience then I needed at LtC. But rewards are more like 4 times greater.
Just example - to get to Commander I had /played more then 3 days. Then next 15 grades took me only 1 day. And it is not because I didnt know the game at start, I was in in CB and OB.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-16-2010, 10:03 PM
personally i think that the leveling system is fine could use a minor tweak here and there but with the rate of leveling you can get it'll put a hurt locker on spammers
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-16-2010, 10:36 PM
The game needs things to do that don't give you XP. Aside from roleplaying, I don't see anything to do that won't level up my toon.