Lt. Commander
# 1 Starfleet wasn't diplomatic
02-17-2010, 05:02 PM
I'd like to see Cryptic work on implementing new gameplay systems, like group quests where you need a balanced group or new PVP maps (one like Alteric Valley from WoW please with bases and bosses to fight), instead of more diplomatic missions as many on the board are suggesting. I'm far more concerned with "fun" than how much the game is like star trek, and the biggest missing piece of the fun in this game to me is the lack of meaningful things you can do in groups for extended periods of time.

To that end, I've lifted a reply from another thread that shows that Starfleet wasn't as diplmoatic as you might remember.

"Arena" is an episode cited by people who claim that strafleet was "diplomatic" or "merciful" because kirk didn't kill the gorn at the very end of the episode when he had a chance. The problem is that by that time, Kirk knew there was some higher being watching, and Kirk, being the ultimate tactician, knew it was in his and his crew's best interest to not kill the gorn. It had nothing to do with starfleet or humanity being merciful. To prove that point, before he knew there was a higher being at work, he:

- jumps to the conclusion that it's a full scale invasion without talking to or even seeing the enemy
- proceeds to attack the ship despite Spock's protest and endangers the ship
- ends up shooting a friggin cannon full of diamonds at the Gorn on the planets surface
- absolutely tried to kill the gorn multiple times before the very end of the episode. Diplomacy!

Here, watch starting at around 14 minutes and 30 seconds:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6IgEEBizyA#t=14m25s

The exchange is as follows:

Kirk: Something the matter, Mr. Spock?
Spock: A sustained warp 7 speed will be dangerous, Captain.
Kirk: Thank you, Mr. Spock.-I mean to catch them.
Scotty: We'll either catch them or blow up. They may be faster than we are.
Kirk: They'll have to prove it. Yes, Mr. Spock?
Spock: You mean to destroy the alien ship.
Kirk: Of course.
Spock: I thought perhaps the hot pursuit alone might be sufficient. Destruction may be unnecessary.
Kirk: Colony Cestus III has been obliterated, Mr. Spock.
Spock: The destruction of the alien vessel...will not help that colony,Jim.
Kirk: If the aliens go unpunished, they'll be back, attacking other Federation installations.
Spock: I merely suggested that a regard for sentient--
Kirk: There's no time for that.

This is straight out of STO. As a captain in this game, you're always jumping to conclusions and shooting first before asking questions, which is just like Kirk!
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-17-2010, 05:08 PM
kirk was considered a "maverick" remember, hard to judge an entire organization on the actions of one person.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-17-2010, 05:09 PM
Krk's little shenanigans are probably responsible for every bit of Orwell thrown into TNG Trek.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-17-2010, 05:09 PM
OP, a valiant attempt, but too many people have been spoiled by TNG to take that as reasoning for what's going on in this game.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-17-2010, 05:12 PM
Well yea but theres nothing even CLOSE to diplomacy in this game. Nadda.

Even the premise barely allows for it.

We're just invading and flying into any sector of space we want. We kill EVERYTHING when we get there. I mean, the Federation resembles the Klingon Empire more than it does the Federation.

And there's no Klingon content. Just copy and paste all the Fed content over to the Klingons with a few minor changes! It fits!